Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Protection against arp spoofing Post 302586616 by chrisperry on Monday 2nd of January 2012 07:05:15 PM
Old 01-02-2012
There is only one router in that network, so all arp traffic is passing through it and it can be monitored and filtered.
Yes, the attacker must be on my local network, that's the idea. Arp spoofing is common on public hotspots, university networks etc.

But you are right, dropping all trafic is not a good solution.
Do you propose another protection?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Spoofing paths.

There is a program that I am trying to run on a shell account. It depends on another program, which I have also copied to the shell account. Both are in my home directory, yet the first program has a different path hardcoded into it, which I cannot use because of permissions problems. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fahadsadah
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Spoofing a From Address in SMTP

Hi, I am currently using Mailx to send a mail message from my unix account via an SMTP relay. This is working ok. However from the recipient end the FROM address they see on mails received is <unix account>@<domain> eg prod@liveserver.com Is there anyway I can spoof this FROM address from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Help Make a spoofing DNS using pcap library

Hello all, i need your quick help. I have assignment project class to make a program using pcap library to spoofing DNS in linux environment. Can anyone help me, because i'm newbie in network security and in C?:confused: Regards, ptrfw (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riska_bali
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

MAC Address spoofing

There is a question in the SCO section asking for information on how to change the MAC address of a NIC. Is there a valid reason for wanting to change the MAC address? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies

5. Solaris

MAC spoofing a virtual NIC on Solaris 5.0

Hi everybody! I'm facing a problem and I doubt about the solution (I'm not very familiar with old *NIXs). An external network supplier (let's call them "telco") just installed new communication components that filters MAC addresses. I have a Solaris 5 server, with 1 NIC (hte0) which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Isharfoxat
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

ethernet mac spoofing

I tried to use the command sudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx to do mac spoofing for internet connection in my office. It works only for 5 minutes. Every time after about 5mins, the Internet will be disconnected. :wall: Any one knows how to solve this problem? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running into problems while spoofing IP Address

I have a machine (IP:192.168.1.185) and i want to send spoofed IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.212) to another machine(192.168.1.213) . I am using a spoofing program for this which uses raw sockets. Now whenever i pass the parameters(spoofed ip addr and destination) to the output of the program, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
ARP(9)							   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						    ARP(9)

NAME
arp, arp_ifinit, arpresolve, arpintr -- externally visible ARP functions SYNOPSIS
#include <netinet/if_inarp.h> void arp_ifinit(struct ifnet *ifp, struct ifaddr *ifa); int arpresolve(struct ifnet *ifp, struct rtentry *rt, struct mbuf *m, struct sockaddr *dst, u_char *desten); void arpintr(); DESCRIPTION
The arp functions provide the interface between the arp module and the network drivers which need arp functionality. Such drivers must request the arp attribute in their "files" declaration. arp_ifinit() Sets up the arp specific fields in ifa. Additionally, it sends out a gratuitous arp request on ifp, so that other machines are warned that we have a (new) address and duplicate addresses can be detected. You must call this in your drivers' ioctl function when you get a SIOCSIFADDR request with an AF_INET address family. arpresolve() is called by network output functions to resolve an IPv4 address. If no rt is given, a new one is looked up or created. If the passed or found rt does not contain a valid gateway link level address, a pointer to the packet in m is stored in the route entry, possibly replacing older stored packets, and an arp request is sent instead. When an arp reply is received, the last held packet is send. Otherwise, the looked up address is returned and written into the storage desten points to. arpresolve() returns 1, if a valid address was stored to desten, and the packet can be sent immediately. Else a 0 is returned. arpintr() When an arp packet is received, the network driver (class) input interrupt handler queues the packet on the arpintrq queue, and requests an arpintr() soft interrupt callback. arpintr() dequeues the packets, performs sanity checks and calls (for IPv4 arp packets, which are the only ones supported currently) the in_arpinput() function. in_arpinput() either generates a reply to request packets, and adds the sender address translation to the routing table, if a matching route entry is found. If the route entry contained a pointer to a held packet, that packet is sent. SEE ALSO
ether_ifattach(9) Plummer, D., "RFC826", An Ethernet Address Resolution Protocol. STANDARDS
RFC 826 HISTORY
Rewritten to support other than Ethernet link level addresses in NetBSD 1.3. AUTHORS
UCB CSRG (original implementation) Ignatios Souvatzis (support for non-Ethernet) CODE REFERENCES
The ARP code is implemented in sys/net/if_arp.h, sys/netinet/if_inarp.h and sys/netinet/if_arp.c. BSD
March 3, 1997 BSD