Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Doing calculations with bc on one field Post 302586406 by ikke008 on Sunday 1st of January 2012 07:41:28 PM
Old 01-01-2012
Thank you so much!
I'll give it a try tomorrow.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Float calculations

As expr is used for integer calculations, which command is used for float calculations. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time Calculations

I'm trying to have a loop print out statistics every X number of seconds. How can I add a specific number of seconds to a time variable and make a comparison? Thanks ahead of time. For example: startTime = `date +%H%M%S` currentTime = $startTime executeTime = startTime + X # X is equal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh, calculations using bc

hi all, was wondering if there is another way to do calculations in ksh scripts other than using bc ?? i am using a script to calculate average response time and my script errors out after running for a bit. e.g code i am using : averageTime=$(print "$totalTime / $numberOfEntries" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date Calculations

I need to be able to use the current date and calculate 7 days ago to be stored in another variable to be passed to a file in my Unix shell script. I need the date in the following format: date '+%m/%d/%Y' or 05/16/2006 How do I calculate date minus 7 days or 1 week ago? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitschcg
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculations in bash

HI i have following problem, i need to use split command to split files each should be cca 700 lines but i dont know how to inplement it in the scripts becasuse each time the origin file will be various size , any body got any idea cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with doing calculations on data

Dear All, I have a long list like this: 337 375 364 389 443 578 1001 20100 . . . . etc I would like to substract each value from the first entry which in this case is 337 and report it in a separate column. So the expected output looks like 337 0 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with calculations

grep Quality abc.txt | awk -F"=" '{print $2}' o/p is given as 70/70 49/70 I want in the below format (percentage format) 100% 70% help me!!!!:confused::confused::confused: ---------- Post updated at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:57 AM ---------- Cell 01 -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number calculations

I'm writing a script that will read all the fields of a text file into an array(if they are numeric), while at the same time computing the minimum and maximum values from the file. After that I want to output the average of all the numbers in the array. The first problem I'm having is that many... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output calculations

Attached are the is original output (zipped file) and a custom file using the awk code below in which the average reads per bait are calculated (average.txt) awk '{if(len==0){last=$4;total=$6;len=1;getline}if($4!=last){printf("%s\t%f\n", last,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop doing calculations

Hello. I'm writing an awk script that looks at a .csv file and calculates the weighted grade for each student based on the scores and categories in the file. I am able to get the script to run the only issue however is that the same score for each student is the same. I'm self-teaching myself the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
XCALPR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 XCALPR(1)

NAME
xcalpr - print xcal calendar entries SYNTAX
xcalpr [ -c ][ -x ][ -f file ][ -d dir ][ -u user ][ date-spec ] DESCRIPTION
Xcalpr prints the contents of the xcal files. It is intended to be used in situations when you have no access to an X screen. It can also be used to generate entries for the standard UNIX calendar program. With no arguments, it prints any entries that exist for the next seven days. The program also reads the contents of the seven daily files and prints them at the appropriate point in the output stream. Each line in the output is preceded by the day of the week, the day of the month, the month and the year. Xcalpr can be given a date specification to select months and years. If the date spec consists of just a year number, then all the data for that year is printed. For example: xcalpr 1994 will print all the data for 1994. Several years can be specified. If you give the name of a month, then the data for that month in the current year will be printed. If the month is in the past, then the data for that month next year will be printed. For example, if xcalpr oct jan is typed in August, xcalpr will print October in the current year and January next year. You can select a particular year by adding the number after any months that you need printing: xcalpr oct nov 1994 will print October and November in 1994. There are a couple of special `month' names. The name rest will print the data for the rest of the month, starting tomorrow. The rest argument is not recognised if you give a year as a parameter. If tomorrow happens to be the first day of the next month, then all the data for next month will be printed. The name next prints all the data for next month. OPTIONS
The -c option causes xcalpr to output lines suitable for input to the standard UNIX calendar program. The -d switch is followed by a directory name and specifies an alterative location for your Calendar directory. Your home directory is prepended if the name doesn't start with a slash or a dot. The -f option is followed by a file name and xcalpr will write it's output to that file, rather than standard output. The -u option is followed by a user name and dumps their calendar files rather than yours. The -x option makes xcalev operate with Calendar files that are compatible with the xcalendar program. FILES
$HOME/Calendar/* xc<dd><Mon><Year> A data file is day, Month in three letter format and the year. xy<Year> A year directory. xw<Day> A data file for the weekly code, one per day. SEE ALSO
xcal(1), xcalev(1), xcal_cal(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 1993 by Peter Collinson, Hillside Systems All rights reserved. This product includes software developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors. X Version 11 R5 October 1993 XCALPR(1)