Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Doing calculations with bc on one field Post 302586325 by ikke008 on Saturday 31st of December 2011 08:27:18 PM
Old 12-31-2011
Doing calculations with bc on one field

Hello,

I have to turn:
Code:
Apple Inc.:325,64:329,57

into
Code:
Apple Inc.:325,64:329,57:3,93

3,93=329,57-325,64.

My code:
Code:
cat beurs.txt | sed 's/\([^:]*\):\([0-9]*\),*\([0-9]*\):\([0-9]*\),\([0-9]*\)/\4\.\5-\2\.\3/' beurs.txt | bc| tr '.' ',' | sed 's/^-*,/0,/' > winstmarges.txt; paste -d: beurs.txt winstmarges.txt; rm winstmarges.txt

works but can I do it without creating temporary files?
Can I use bc to do calculations on a specific field?
Or can I do calculations within sed?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Float calculations

As expr is used for integer calculations, which command is used for float calculations. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time Calculations

I'm trying to have a loop print out statistics every X number of seconds. How can I add a specific number of seconds to a time variable and make a comparison? Thanks ahead of time. For example: startTime = `date +%H%M%S` currentTime = $startTime executeTime = startTime + X # X is equal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh, calculations using bc

hi all, was wondering if there is another way to do calculations in ksh scripts other than using bc ?? i am using a script to calculate average response time and my script errors out after running for a bit. e.g code i am using : averageTime=$(print "$totalTime / $numberOfEntries" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date Calculations

I need to be able to use the current date and calculate 7 days ago to be stored in another variable to be passed to a file in my Unix shell script. I need the date in the following format: date '+%m/%d/%Y' or 05/16/2006 How do I calculate date minus 7 days or 1 week ago? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitschcg
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculations in bash

HI i have following problem, i need to use split command to split files each should be cca 700 lines but i dont know how to inplement it in the scripts becasuse each time the origin file will be various size , any body got any idea cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with doing calculations on data

Dear All, I have a long list like this: 337 375 364 389 443 578 1001 20100 . . . . etc I would like to substract each value from the first entry which in this case is 337 and report it in a separate column. So the expected output looks like 337 0 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with calculations

grep Quality abc.txt | awk -F"=" '{print $2}' o/p is given as 70/70 49/70 I want in the below format (percentage format) 100% 70% help me!!!!:confused::confused::confused: ---------- Post updated at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:57 AM ---------- Cell 01 -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number calculations

I'm writing a script that will read all the fields of a text file into an array(if they are numeric), while at the same time computing the minimum and maximum values from the file. After that I want to output the average of all the numbers in the array. The first problem I'm having is that many... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output calculations

Attached are the is original output (zipped file) and a custom file using the awk code below in which the average reads per bait are calculated (average.txt) awk '{if(len==0){last=$4;total=$6;len=1;getline}if($4!=last){printf("%s\t%f\n", last,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop doing calculations

Hello. I'm writing an awk script that looks at a .csv file and calculates the weighted grade for each student based on the scores and categories in the file. I am able to get the script to run the only issue however is that the same score for each student is the same. I'm self-teaching myself the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)