Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help in checking for files in subfolders Post 302586167 by methyl on Friday 30th of December 2011 09:55:46 AM
Old 12-30-2011
Something similar to this?

Code:
find "/cat" -xdev -type d -name "cat" -print | sort | while read dir
do
        echo "${dir}"
        cd "${dir}"
        ls -ld * | grep \^\d   # Directories only
        echo ""
done

Hard to understand your requirement. Not clear whether you are suggesting using "ls" (not "find") to locate the directory or whether you actually want to display the output. I guessed the latter. Note the use of "ls -ld *" to avoid "ls" listing the contents of subdirectories.
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rename files in subfolders

Hello i have this script : foreach f ($1/*.cpp ) mv $f $f:r.c end that renames me files in dir , how can i change it so it will rename me also in subdirectorys? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn the number of files under a particular folder, containing subfolders

Hi ALL I would like know how many files there under a particular folder, which contains subfolders. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in all files in a folder and subfolders.

i need to change string in all files in current folder and all subfolders. i wrote the following script. It works good except it dont delete temp file from subfolders. for z in `find . -type f -name "*.html" -o -name "*.htm"`; do sed -e 's@abc@xyz@g' $z>temp; mv temp $z; done any idea?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crazynups
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split 200.000 files into different subfolders

Dear UNIX-Community, can help me doing 2 things in Debian 5.0? 1.) Create 100 folders Format: ./0/0, ./0/1, ./0/2, ...,./0/9, ./1/0/, ..., ./9/9 2.) Move over 200.000 files into the subdirectories according to their last digits. 12398123.dat -> ./3/2/12398123.dat 48161.dat ->... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diadas
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to obtain a count of files in a folder and it's subfolders

First of all, the extent of my unix knowledge is next to nil. I've been able to telnet to a unix box, and thanks to the Computer Hope website, I've been able to learn a few basic commands to navigate from folder to folder, and view contents. What I really need to do is obtain a count of all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfinv
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

unique words in files of folder and its subfolders

Hello, I tried to count all unique words of all files in one folder and its subfolders. Can anybody say me, why this doesnt work: ls| find -d | cat | tr "\ " "\n"| uniq -u | wc -l ??? Cat writes only the names of those files, but not the wors, which should be in them. Thanks for any advice. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dworza
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to move folders, subfolders and files from unix to windows

Hi Unix Gurus, I am able to copy only files that exist in the parent folder. My parent folder has sub folders and within sub folders there are lots files. I need to copy folder, sub folders and files from Unix to the remote windows SFTP location. The directory structure is something like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a folder containing different files into subfolders

I have a folder with 4000 (*3) files like gr_q4_gb-1.anc gr_q4_gb-1.anc_cdr_st.txt gr_q4_gb-1.anc_cdr_tr.txt gr_q4_gb-2.anc gr_q4_gb-2.anc_cdr_st.txt gr_q4_gb-2.anc_cdr_tr.txt gr_q4_gb-3.anc gr_q4_gb-3.anc_cdr_st.txt gr_q4_gb-3.anc_cdr_tr.txt . . gr_q4_gb-4000.anc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find for files within a list of subfolders

Helo Is there a better way to search within a list of subfolders : A_START_PATH="/data_1/data_2" # # dir2, dir3, dir6, ..... dir59 exists # A_LIST="$A_START_PATH/dir1 $A_START_PATH/dir4 $A_START_PATH/dir5" find "$A_LIST" -type f -name"*.txt" Now searching for all files in any subdirs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
EBZIP(1)							   User Commands							  EBZIP(1)

NAME
ebzip - compress a CD-ROM book SYNOPSIS
ebzip [option...] [book-directory] OPTIONS
-f --force-overwrite set overwrite mode to `force' (same as `--overwrite force') -h --help display this help, then exit -i --information list information of compressed files -k --keep don't delete original files -l INTEGER --level INTEGER compression level; 0..5 (default: 0) -n --no-overwrite set overwrite mode to `no' (same as `--overwrite no') -o DIRECTORY --output-directory DIRECTORY ouput files under DIRECTORY (default: .) -q --quiet --silence suppress all warnings -s TYPE[,TYPE] --skip-content TYPE[,TYPE...] skip content; font, graphic, sound or movie (default: none is skipped) -S SUBBOOK[,SUBBOOK...] --subbook SUBBOOK[,SUBBOOK...] target subbook (default: all subbooks) -t --test only check for input files -u --uncompress uncompress files -v --version display version number, then exit -w MODE --overwrite MODE set overwrite mode of output files; confirm, force or no (default: confirm) -z --compress compress files Argument: book-directory top directory of a CD-ROM book (default: .) Default action: When invoked as `ebunzip', uncompression is the default action. When invoked as `ebzipinfo', listing information is the default action. Otherwise, compression is the default action. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to m-kasahr@sra.co.jp. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Motoyuki Kasahara ebzip (EB Library) version 4.4.3 July 2012 EBZIP(1)