Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mv warning set owner/group: Operation not permitted Post 302586158 by BeefStu on Friday 30th of December 2011 09:38:06 AM
Old 12-30-2011
if you want to ignore the error try using the force option with the mv command mv -f .....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Operation not permitted" when copying directories

I'm kicking Unix questions out like Bruce Lee. So I'm copying a directory of files, in each directory I inevitablly get this: I get that for usually the same set of directories/files in each folder. Is there a way to override this when copying files? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPigford
4 Replies

2. Programming

pthread_create returns "operation not permitted" if I try to link static?

Hello, I am trying to port some testtools we wrote from solaris to redhat linux(AMD64). If I link dynamic, set the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH, everything runs fine. If I try to link static, the pthread_create returns "operation not permitted" (error code 1). Does anybody have an idea where to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micky
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot utime: Operation not permitted

Hi - I have a script (.ksh) which has been transferred from one Linux box to another. Basically it untars a file a deploys the code to the relevent directories. It is failing with ' Cannot utime: Operation not permitted' When I run the command by hand it *is* doing the untar to the directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file?

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file? -rwxrwxr-x 1 root sys 1202 Dec 5 2002 abc.awk like here i need to set the name of root and sys to xxx xxx Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehak
2 Replies

5. Linux

failed to preserve ownership operation not permitted

Hi i have written one backup script in linux workstation.The backup script will do zipping files and moved to the backup directory(i,e /net/ts-bcn/sb_backup/sand). #So while moving zipped files to the backup directory i am getting some error like this error:mv:failed to preserve ownership... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogks
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX5.3--vmount: Operation not permitted

Hi all, iam unable to mount exported directory hari on AIX 5.3, which was in RedHat Linux As4. Linux-server AIX -client I am facing errors of bash-3.00# mount -n linuxas4 /hari /hari mount: 1831-008 giving up on: linuxas4:/hari vmount: Operation not permitted. Pl any body... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haribabu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Operation not permitted as root

Hi Expert, I am trying to change ownership of one file to another user that is exist in the system but getting operation not permitted error what could be the correct way? # ls -lh .Xauthority_ori -rw------- 1 maxim atlas 2.8K Jul 27 17:18 .Xauthority_ori # id -a uid=0(root)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the Group Owner Name

Hi all, How can i find the group owner name...??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansahr143
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mysql installation - Operation not permitted

Hello, Since over one week, I have been consistently searching for a solution to my mysql installation errors. I surfed many sites on google to get rid of the issue. Now google gives me all the same results, I tested many of those solutions provided by... Now I am pulling hair I am under... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified directory trees (recursively, including their contents) and files. Beware of unintentionally matching the ``..'' hard link to the parent directory when using wildcards like ``.*''. -f Do not report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. If the -v flag is specified more than once, chown will print the filename, followed by the old and new numeric user/group ID. -x File system mount points are not traversed. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional, however, one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be preceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user for obvious security reasons. EXIT STATUS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v and -x options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not recommended. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
February 21, 2010 BSD