Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File that Contains a List of Files Post 302585944 by he204035 on Thursday 29th of December 2011 05:13:36 PM
Old 12-29-2011
File that Contains a List of Files

I have a first text file (LoopFiles.txt) that contains another list of text files. I need to run NAWK commands on each of the files that are listed in the first text file.

I have proven the existence of the first file with ls -l

But I get a message that my first file doesnt exist.
Code:
cd /tmp/Me/

while getline x < f; f="/tmp/Me/LoopFiles.txt"
do
nawk -F, '{if($2==$5){a[$2]++}}END{for(i in a){print i"\t"a[i]}}' x
done

[btsadm@anhmcabts01]$bash rcc_guineapig_3.sh
2011 12 28
rcc_guineapig_3.sh: f: No such file or directory

The nawk command is to be used to compare column #2 and column #5 to see if they match, and if so, peg a counter for the value in column 2, and print the value and number of pegs for each value in column 2. That has to be done on each file listed in LoopFiles.txt.

Last edited by radoulov; 12-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesize from a file which has the list of files.

i have a file myfile. it has the below entries /temp/firstfile /temp/secondfile and many more.. okay, now, i want to addup all the space occupied by this file hmmm, but i met with a problem in getting each file out. i did a silly command like more myfile | grep temp | ls -ltr and it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to list the files using File Descriptors

hello, I have written a script named listall.sh with the following codes init. #!/bin/bash PATH="/proj/cmon/$1" echo $PATH if ; then echo "Usage: $0 ***" exit 1 else ls -l $PATH/*.sc fi Here there are 3 subdirectories (namely - src, data and jobs)under /proj/cmon, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyjuezy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls > file - Creating file containing the list of all files present in a directory

Hi All, I need to create a file which contains the list of all the files present in that directory. e.g., ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat but what i am getting is: $ ls /export/home/user/*.dat > list_file.dat /export/home/user/*.dat: No such file or directory But I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file or files with last modification date

hi. I need help my programing friends :p I need to list all the files with a certain name (for example FileName) by last modification date but only the one with the last date. If there are two files with the same name and same modification date it should print the both. For example in this set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KitFisto
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete old files but with exclusion with file list

Hello Can you please help and check what im missing on script below the goal is to delete the old files more than 7 days old but not the excluded file list inside excluded.dat file #!/bin/sh EXCLUDE=/path/to/exclude/exclude.dat FIND=/bin/find for xfile in '(read $EXCLUDE)' do $FIND... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angst_nu
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take a list if strings from a file and search them in a list of files and report them

I have a file 1.txt with the below contents. -----cat 1.txt----- 1234 5678 1256 1234 1247 ------------------- I have 3 more files in a folder -----ls -lrt------- A1.txt A2.txt A3.txt ------------------- The contents of those three files are similar format with different data values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name from a List of files

Hi, Greetings!! I'm grepping a string from a series of files, using the below code (how ever the awk is not grepping between 'from' & 'to' time!) awk '$0>=$from&&$0<=$to' from=$START_TIME to=$STOP_TIME $logpath/UL_`date +%Y%m%d`_Scheduler*.log.csv > temp-grep.txt Out of 50 files,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav_k
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files that are not first two files date & last file date for every month-year?

Hi All, I need to find all files other than first two files dates & last file date for month and month/year wise list. lets say there are following files in directory Mar 19 2012 c.txt Mar 19 2012 cc.txt Mar 21 2012 d.txt Mar 22 2012 f.txt Mar 24 2012 h.txt Mar 25 2012 w.txt Feb 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop a file containing list of file names until the files are found?

Hi, I have a control file which will contain all filenames(300) files. Loop through all the file names in the control files and check the existence of this file in another directory(same server). I need to infinitely(2 hrs) run this while loop until all the files are found. Once a file is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List dublicated files into a file

Dear All, I have many files in a directory similar in below format (in order to understand each group files are separated from others by blank lines ). I want to find duplicate filenames and write them into a new file line by line. I tried several scripts but I couldn't be successful. Do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulpak
9 Replies
gedit(1)							   User Commands							  gedit(1)

NAME
gnome-text-editor, gedit - Limited functionality text editor for the GNOME desktop. SYNOPSIS
gnome-text-editor [--debug [-section]] [gnome-std-options] [--help] [--new-document] [--new-window] [--quit] [filename] gedit [--debug [-section]] [gnome-std-options] [--help] [--new-document] [--new-window] [--quit] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-text-editor application is a text editor for the GNOME desktop. The application is also called gedit. You can use gedit as a shorter command to start the application. The application enables you to edit multiple documents at the same time. Each document resides in a specific tabbed section of the application window. When you start the application from the command line, you can specify one or more filenames. When gedit starts, the application opens all files that you list on the command line. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --debug [-section] Run gedit in debug mode. In debug mode all the functions that are being called dump the function names to the con- sole. You can specify the following sections for debugging: o window o commands o document o file o plugins o prefs o print o search o undo o view o recent Run gedit --help for more information. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. --help Print the command line options. --new-document Create a new top-level document or tabbed section in an existing instance of gedit. --new-window Create a new top-level window in an existing instance of gedit. --quit Quit an existing instance of gedit. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The gedit application accepts pipes, so you can specify a pipe after another command, to load the output of the command into gedit. For example: example% ls -l | gedit EXAMPLES
Example 1: To Edit an ASCII File Named document.txt example% gedit document.txt Example 2: To Add a New Tab That Contains an ASCII File Named book.txt example% gedit --new-document book.txt Example 3: To Add a New Top-Level Window That Contains an ASCII File Named testfile.txt example% gedit --new-window testfile.txt EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully. >0 An error occurred. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-text-editor The executable file for the gnome-text-editor application. /usr/bin/gedit A symbolic link to the gnome-text-editor executable file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-text-editor | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), libgtksourceview-1.0(3) Online Help gedit manual. NOTES
This man page was written by the following people: Paolo Maggi, Chema Celorio, James Willcox, Federico Mena Quintero. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004. SunOS 5.10 31 Aug 2004 gedit(1)