Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers alternative to the grep trick Post 302585082 by pandeesh on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 10:46:46 AM
Old 12-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryran
As you say, learning is great, so why don't you just look at the ps man page? You're wasting your time with grep.

Code:
ps -fC sched

I have never come across -fC switches in ps.
I will check it .
Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stupid find trick

At work, we use a software development product (from a company that will remain nameless, but whose name may be considered a synonym for "logical"). The development trees are organized beneath a top directory, let's call it "$rat". The first level under $rat contains the major system names, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: criglerj
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files

I am looking for a file with 'MCR0000000716214' in it. I tried the following command: grep MCR0000000716214 * The problem is that the folder I am searching in has over 87000 files and I am getting the following: bash: /bin/grep: Arg list too long Is there any command I can use that can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need best grep option or alternative

Hello, I am processing a text file which contains only words with few combination of characters (it is a dictionary file). example: havana have haven haven't havilland havoc Is there a way to exclude only 1 to 8 character long words which not include space or special characters : '-`~.. so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alekkz
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any trick to speed up script?

Hi Guys, I have a script that I am using to convert some text files to xls files. I create multiple temp. files in the process of conversion. Other than reducing the temp. files, are there any general tricks to help speed up the script? I am running it in the bash shell. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest alternative to grep

Hi Experts, PFB my requirement: I have a file (named file1) containing numbers like: 372846078543002 372846078543003 372846078543004 372846078543005 372846078543006 I have another file (nemed file2)where lines containing these numbers(present in file1) are present; Eg: lppza087; <PERFB >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: niladri29
6 Replies

7. Programming

Oracle TRICk Question

HI Guys , Below are the two columns ITEMS and STATE of table . ITEMS STATE '2345','ggdh','k5tg','dgyt','hFF' DF '1234','ghyt','DDD','GHTD','ABF' PQ Can we get output in PL/SQL in below way ?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative command to grep -w option

Hi All, We have few scripts where we are using grep -w option to do exact matching of the pattern. This works fine on most of our servers. But I have encounter a very old HP-UX System(HP-UX B.11.00) where grep -w option is not available. This is causing my scripts to fail. I need to change... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep, or alternative

say I have a big list of something like: sdg2000 weghre10 fewg53 gwg99 jwegwejjwej43 afg10293 I want to remove the numbers of any line that has letters + 1 to 4 numbers output: sdg weghre fewg gwg jwegwejjwej afg10293 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siwon
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)