Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) fetchmail and postfix mail setup on Snow Leopard - request for guidance Post 302584931 by butterbaerchen on Monday 26th of December 2011 09:15:23 PM
Old 12-26-2011
that is exactly what I want to happen. I read that link just yesterday, thank you for posting it. Now, I have a file: /var/root/.forward
and it says: /dev/null (I have not found a root mailbox so far ... where do I create it and with which permissions etc?)
Smilie
and when I send mail to root from the commandline it gets rewritten to:
root @ mydomain.org and postfix sends it off... and it bounces.
and if I put roadie (my username) into that /var/root/.forward file instead of /dev/null - it gets rewritten to roadie @ mydomain.org - and, since that mail account actually exists on the server, - I do get the mail - but from fetchmail - not what I want - the mail should not leave the machine. Smilie

in the article it says to put username@localhost into roots .forward file. good, makes sense but still gets rewritten and sent out. I am reading on how mailqueue and local delivery actually works - but I am slow. Have not found a thread so far that tells how someone set it up in words I understand. What am I missing? ... is it the local_recipient_map in postfix and the postmap command? I get confused with virtual, forward, aliases and all of that.
to me it looks as if roadie and roadie @ domain.org are 2 different identities to postfix - where do I glue them together so that they share the /var/mail/roadie inbox file and local mail arrives direct and not via the mailserver of my hosting company? thank you for giving your time. I am learning heaps btw - great undertaking.

Last edited by butterbaerchen; 12-26-2011 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: flatten email address

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

MacPorts on Snow Leopard

Hello everyone. I was previously using MacPorts 1.8 on Mac OS 10.5.8 without any problems and everything was working well. I recently upgraded to Xcode 3.2 and Mac OS 10.6, since then my MacPorts installation has not been working at all. I deleted it and then reinstalled the .dmg from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HoldenCaulfield
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Alpine 2 on Snow Leopard

I've just installed Alpine on Snow Leopard but can't seem to get a default spell checker configured for it. What happened to spell? I can't find it at all on 10.6, must have been some changes. Does anyone know about the default unix spell checker on SL? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: platz
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Installing Oracle 10g on Snow Leopard using this tutorial

This tutorial. Which is a lovely tutorial, really, and was working up until this instruction: Now download db.zip installation archive and place it somewhere and unzip it: mkdir Install cd Install # download db.zip to this directory unzip db.zip cd db/Disk1 I didn't know how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khayraB
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Problem with mail attachment in Snow Leopard

Hi, We have few scripts that are run through jobs . It sends us daily reports (using mailx). This was working fine in Leopard. But in Snow Leopard there is problem with the attachments.Neither the attachment name is being displayed correctly(all it displays is "Mail Attachment") nor the format... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adash
1 Replies
MAKEHOSTEDDOMAINS(8)					      Double Precision, Inc.					      MAKEHOSTEDDOMAINS(8)

NAME
makehosteddomains - Build a database of hosted domains SYNOPSIS
makehosteddomains DESCRIPTION
makehosteddomains rebuilds the contents of the /etc/courier/hosteddomains.dat database from the contents of /etc/courier/hosteddomains. This can be either a file or a directory. If it's a directory, the contents of all the files in this directory are simply concatenated. The makehosteddomains script must be run in order for any changes to /etc/courier/hosteddomains to take effect. The function of /etc/courier/hosteddomains is very similar to the one of /etc/courier/locals. Both configuration files specify a list of domains that are considered to be local domains - domains whose mailboxes are stored locally. The difference is that domains listed in /etc/courier/locals are removed from addresses before their mailbox is looked up. For example, if the domain "example.com" is listed in /etc/courier/locals, then the address <user@example.com> is delivered to a local mailbox named "user". If this domain is listed, instead, in /etc/courier/hosteddomains, then the address <user@example.com> is delivered to a local mailbox named "user@example.com". Usually you would use /etc/courier/locals to specify domains that correspond to your local system accounts, that are looked up in your system's password database. The /etc/courier/hosteddomains file is usually used when you have database-based virtual domains, that are maintained via an LDAP or a MySQL server. The Courier mail server's LDAP and MySQL authentication modules will use the full E-mail address to query the LDAP or MySQL server for the location of the local mailbox that correspond to the E-mail address. The Courier mail server's authuserdb authentication module can also use full E-mail addresses. Contents of hosteddomains The file /etc/courier/hosteddomains simply contains a list of domains, one per line, for example: domain.com example.org Each domain can optionally be followed by a single tab character, in order to specify an alias for a domain, for example: domain.com mail.domain.com<TAB>domain.com example.com<TAB>domain.com First, we list the domain "domain.com" as a hosted domain. Then, we also list the domain "mail.domain.com", which is an alias for domain.com. The Courier mail server will take any address of the form <address@mail.domain.com>, rewrite it as <address@domain.com>, and attempt to deliver the mail to a local mailbox for that name. The third entry does the same for "example.com"; mail addressed to <address@example.com> is delivered to the local mailbox <address@domain.com>. alias@hosteddomain This is a special local mail delivery rule for hosteddomain-listed domains. This rule allows the Courier mail server accept mail to any address@hosteddomain, where "hosteddomain" is a domain listed in the hosteddomains file, but there is no corresponding account for address@hosteddomain. To provide delivery instructions for any non-existing address in a hosteddomain-listed domain: 1) Create the local address alias@hosteddomain. For example, if the hosteddomains file contains "example.com", create the local account alias@example.com. This should be a normal account, with its own home directory, userid and groupid. 2) Create $HOME/.courier-default file in this account, containing the delivery instructions. See the dot-courier(5)[1] manual page for available delivery instructions. NOTE that alias@example.com must be a real account, not a mail alias. If you want to forward alias@example.com to another address, put forwarding instructions in the .courier-default file. However, alias@example.com can be a clone of another account (with the same home directory, userid, and groupid). "WILDCARD DNS" Wildcard DNS is supported for hosteddomains by placing a single period character before the domain name. For example, the hosted domain entry ".domain.com" will cause the Courier mail server to accept mail for "anything.domain.com". The Courier mail server will accept mail for <address@any.thing.domain.com> and attempt to deliver it to the local mailbox <address@any.thing.domain.com>, and if that fails then attempt to deliver the mail to the local mailbox <address@.thing.domain.com>, then finally <address@.domain.com> Note There is a period after the '@' character. If you want all mail for "any.thing.domain.com" to be delivered as though it were sent to "domain.com", you should define an alias for the domain, for example: domain.com .domain.com<TAB>domain.com SEE ALSO
esmtpd(8)[2]. AUTHOR
Sam Varshavchik Author NOTES
1. dot-courier(5) [set $man.base.url.for.relative.links]/dot-courier.html 2. esmtpd(8) [set $man.base.url.for.relative.links]/esmtpd.html Courier Mail Server 08/30/2011 MAKEHOSTEDDOMAINS(8)