Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop Post 302584858 by Scrutinizer on Monday 26th of December 2011 07:02:35 AM
Old 12-26-2011
It is probably because the while loop is executed in a subshell (right side of the pipe). Try using:
Code:
while read -u4 line
done < abc.txt
wait
#further processing

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait in background

can a wait command be run in background? or the script which has the wait command, be run background? test.sh ------- nohup a.sh & nohup b.sh & wait nohup test.sh & How can i run either wait or test.sh in background? i want test.sh to wait till a.sh and b.sh complete, and must be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't wait for "read line"

Hi I am writing a bash script on Solaris, that should take n arguments, either appended to the script or taken as output from the last command (similar to grep). What I don't want is that the script waits for user input. In other words: Possibility 1: script.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 ...Possibility... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g000ze
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do pipes know when they have to "wait" for all the data?

Hi, I was wondering if pipes ("|"), or rather the command that follow them, know when they're supposed to wait for all the data? For instance, if you take this: cat my_file | sort | uniq for uniq to work well, it needs to have rows sorted, but for lines to be sorted properly, it needs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.brassac
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

echo "selall;info;wait;infolog" | /usr/sbin/cstm problem

Hello, On a HP-UX 10.20 server I've executed something similar to this command: # echo 'selall;info;wait;infolog;view;done' | /usr/sbin/cstm But it returns sometype of "argument list too long" error. I suppose there is a way to fix it by using xargs but I can't figure it out. Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment date using "for loop" in format MMDDYY inside the shell script?

Need to increment the date from "currentdate + 90days" inside the for loop (i=1 to i=50) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
5 Replies

8. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When loading Linux "loading please wait.." then nothing?

Hi everyone, I have a problem but I have never installed a separate OS before so my lingo and understanding may not be as good as some of you. I will try and explain my problem best I can. I am trying to instead of loading Windows 7 when my computer starts up, for it to start linux specifically... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markhow30
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)