Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers System maintenance weekly job and welcome message Post 302584850 by iceqube on Monday 26th of December 2011 06:50:52 AM
Old 12-26-2011
System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions.

The first one:

I want to create weekly a file to all user directories.
I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line:

df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt

I've tried this first in the shell, but it won't put the outcome to all other home directories. How can I realize that this file is created in each home directory?

Second question is, how can I give all users of member group such as "family" a nice welcome message?

I've tried google for both but it doesn't make sense for me. Smilie

Thanks.
Icy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Maintenance

How do I go about doing this??? Is there something to it other than cleaning up useless files?? if you have knowledge concerning this, please give your suggestions also, is it possible or safe to compress an entire filesystem. how do you go about doing this??? any information is appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Solaris version 10: cron job does not send the default message.

Hi all, Our servers were on Sun Solaris 8.1, anytime a cron job executed the user ran that job received a email of job's output. I think that the default and Administrator did not setup anything. However, when we upgraded the OS to Sun Solaris ver.10, the cron job is no longer send a email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmnguyen
2 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nightly job error message when trying to execute script

Hello All, I am getting the following error message when trying to execute the following script. AWK=/usr/bin/awk TR=/usr/bin/tr SED=/usr/bin/sed CAT=/usr/bin/cat MAILFILE=/home//nightly_jobs.tmp mailto=xxx@gmail.com Nigh_Status = `db2 "select TYPE from ETL.LOCK where STATUS <> 0 and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
12 Replies

7. Linux

System message

how can i send a system wide shutdown message from a default Mint user account in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roozis
1 Replies

8. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

9. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies
SSS_USERADD(8)							 SSSD Manual pages						    SSS_USERADD(8)

NAME
sss_useradd - create a new user SYNOPSIS
sss_useradd [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
sss_useradd creates a new user account using the values specified on the command line plus the default values from the system. OPTIONS
-u,--uid UID Set the UID of the user to the value of UID. If not given, it is chosen automatically. -c,--gecos COMMENT Any text string describing the user. Often used as the field for the user's full name. -h,--home HOME_DIR The home directory of the user account. The default is to append the LOGIN name to /home and use that as the home directory. The base that is prepended before LOGIN is tunable with "user_defaults/baseDirectory" setting in sssd.conf. -s,--shell SHELL The user's login shell. The default is currently /bin/bash. The default can be changed with "user_defaults/defaultShell" setting in sssd.conf. -G,--groups GROUPS A list of existing groups this user is also a member of. -m,--create-home Create the user's home directory if it does not exist. The files and directories contained in the skeleton directory (which can be defined with the -k option or in the config file) will be copied to the home directory. -M,--no-create-home Do not create the user's home directory. Overrides configuration settings. -k,--skel SKELDIR The skeleton directory, which contains files and directories to be copied in the user's home directory, when the home directory is created by sss_useradd. Special files (block devices, character devices, named pipes and unix sockets) will not be copied. This option is only valid if the -m (or --create-home) option is specified, or creation of home directories is set to TRUE in the configuration. -Z,--selinux-user SELINUX_USER The SELinux user for the user's login. If not specified, the system default will be used. -?,--help Display help message and exit. THE LOCAL DOMAIN
In order to function correctly, a domain with "id_provider=local" must be created and the SSSD must be running. The administrator might want to use the SSSD local users instead of traditional UNIX users in cases where the group nesting (see sss_groupadd(8)) is needed. The local users are also useful for testing and development of the SSSD without having to deploy a full remote server. The sss_user* and sss_group* tools use a local LDB storage to store users and groups. SEE ALSO
sssd(8), sssd.conf(5), sssd-ldap(5), sssd-krb5(5), sssd-simple(5), sssd-ipa(5), sssd-ad(5), sssd-sudo(5),sss_cache(8), sss_debuglevel(8), sss_groupadd(8), sss_groupdel(8), sss_groupshow(8), sss_groupmod(8), sss_useradd(8), sss_userdel(8), sss_usermod(8), sss_obfuscate(8), sss_seed(8), sssd_krb5_locator_plugin(8), sss_ssh_authorizedkeys(8), sss_ssh_knownhostsproxy(8),pam_sss(8). AUTHORS
The SSSD upstream - http://fedorahosted.org/sssd SSSD
06/17/2014 SSS_USERADD(8)