Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to open a huge text file? Post 302584816 by stalaei on Monday 26th of December 2011 01:55:24 AM
Old 12-26-2011
How to open a huge text file?

Hi.

I have a 10 Gb text file.the default text editor in ubuntu doens't open it.

Does anyone know how can i open it??

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name in gtk+

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name shown in a label widget in gtk+. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open a text file using some tool such as gedit under gtk

how to open a text file using some tool such as gedit under gtk I list some text file names in a GtkCList . I want to open the file on when users click on the row. How to implement this ? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove FIRST Line of huge text file on Solaris

i need help..!!!! i have one big text file estimate data file size 50 - 100GB with 70 Mega Rows. on OS SUN Solaris version 8 How i can remove first line of the text file. Please suggest me for solutions. Thank you very much in advance:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madoatz
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to examine and open a text file?

Hi I am a new to linux, i was faced a file to know is a text file but its type isnt text document and i can not open it please guide me. Regards ---------- Post updated at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:40 AM ---------- Thank you for your cooperation, my OS is a centOS 5.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkhorami76
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

cannot open text file

Hi I am a new to linux, I was faced a file to know is a text file but its type isn't text document and I cannot open it, please guide me. Regards. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkhorami76
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing in huge text file

I have huge text files (~120 MB)x100 which equivalents to ~11GB of data. The files contain pure numbers, actually the value of "phi" to 10 billion digits!! I know its huge!! Here are the last few lines of a file 0952899155 3233967444 3344925499 0276061529 7261968933 9683989044 3317145063... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuthatte
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open the file and edit/append the text

Hi i have a file like this mailboxnum 20 filename <to subsitute> fileloaction /home/dd234/ filetype txt in a directory i have set of files for ex: TT45.1.2 TT45.1.3 TT45.1.4 . . in for loop i have to take this files and subsitute one by one ex: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output only first 400 bytes of a huge text file

How do I output only the first 400 bytes of a huge text file to a new file. It has to be unmodified so no added invisible characters. Many thanks..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open the linux text file in windows

Hi friends, help me i downloaded some file from the Linux and i copied it to windows.Now i am unable to open those file. please help me how to open those file. the files are something like test.tcl note.tcl Thanking you Praveen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakumar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies
MEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MEDIT(1)

NAME
medit - text editor SYNOPSIS
medit [OPTION]... [FILES] DESCRIPTION
medit is a text editor. OPTIONS
-n, --new-app run new instance of medit. By default medit opens FILES (or creates a new document if none are given) in an existing instance of application -s, --use-session[=yes|no] load and save session. By default medit does it when -n is not used. If this option is not given on command line then medit uses the corresponding preferences setting. --pid PID use existing instance with process id PID. --app-name NAME use instance name NAME. If an instance with this name is already running, then it will send files given on the command line to that instance and exit. -e, --encoding ENCODING use provided character encoding to open the file -l, --line LINE open file and position cursor on line LINE. Alternatively line number may be specified with filename, e.g. medit foo.txt:12 -r, --reload automatically reload opened file if it was modified on disk by another program. -w, --new-window open file in a new window. -t, --new-tab open file in a new tab. --log-file FILE write debug output into FILE. This option is only useful on Windows. --log-window show debug output in a log window. This option is only useful on Windows. --debug DOMAINS enable debug output for DOMAINS (if medit was compiled with --enable-debug option). --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+X+Y default window size and position. -h, --help show summary of options. -v, --version show program version. FILES list of files to open. Filenames may include line numbers after colon, e.g. /tmp/file.txt:200. Trailing colon is ignored. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
MEDIT_PID if set, it is used as --pid argument. When medit spawns a process (e.g. a DVI viewer) it sets MEDIT_PID to its own process id, so the child process may in turn simply use 'medit filename' to open a file (e.g. for inverse DVI search). CONTACT
http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/contact.html AUTHOR
Written and maintained by Yevgen Muntyan <emuntyan@users.sourceforge.net> September 2010 MEDIT(1)