Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parse fasta file to tabular file Post 302584570 by yifangt on Friday 23rd of December 2011 04:55:17 PM
Old 12-23-2011
parse fasta file to tabular file

Hello,
A bioperl problem I thought could be done with awk: convert the fasta format (Note: the length of each row is not the same for each entry as they were combined from different files!) to tabular format.
Code:
input.fasta:

>YAL069W-1.334 Putative promoter sequence
CCACACCACACCCACACACCCACACACCACACCACACACC
ACACCACACCCACACACACACATCCTAACACTACCCTAAC
ACAGCCCTAATCTAACCCTGGCCAACCTGTCTCTCAACTT
>YAL068C-7235.2170 Putative promoter sequence
TACGAGAATAATTTCTCATCATCCAGCTTTAACACAAAAT
ACGTAAATGAAGTTTATATATAAATTTCCTTTTTATTGGA
>gi|31044174|gb|AY143560.1| Tintinnopsis fimbriata 18S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence
GAAACTGCGAATGGCTCATTAAAACAGTTATAGTTTATTTGGTAATCAAACTTACATGGATAACCGTGG
TAATTCTAGAGCTAATACATGCTGTTGTGCCCGACTCACGAAGGGCGGTATTTATTAGATATCAGCCAATA
AGCATCTGCTATTGTGGTGACTCATAGTAACTTAATCGGATCGCATGGGCTTGTCCCGCGACAAACCATT
>gi|31044185|gb|AY143571.1| Codonellopsis americana 18S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence
ATTACCCAATCCTGACTCAGGGAGGTAGTGACAAGAAATAATGGGTCGGGGTTCTGCCCCGGGACTGCA
GGGCACCACCAGGCGTGGAGCTTGCGGCTCAATTTGACTCAACACGGGGAAACTTACCAGGTCCAGACAT

I want to convert it to the tabular format as:
Code:
output.tab:

>YAL069W-1.334 Putative promoter sequence CCACACCACACCCACACACCCACACA......CACAGCCCTAATCTAACCCTGGCCAACCTGTCTCTCAACTT
>YAL068C-7235.2170 Putative promoter sequence TACGAGAATAATTTCTCATCATCCAG......CATTTTCTTATGACGTAAATGAAGTTTATATATAAATTTCCTTTTTATTGGA
>gi|31044174|gb|AY143560.1| Tintinnopsis fimbriata 18S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence GAAACTGCGAATGGCTCA......ATTGTGGTGACTCATAGTAACTTAATCGGATCGCATGGGCTTGTCCCGCGACAAACCATT
>gi|31044185|gb|AY143571.1| Codonellopsis americana 18S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence ATTACCCAATCCTGACTC......CCAGGCGTGGAGCTTGCGGCTCAATTTGACTCAACACGGGGAAACTTACCAGGTCCAGACAT

i.e. each row has two columns: the first one is the header for the sequence name and description, the second column is the DNA sequence. This is quite common in bioinformatics daily task.
I am aware bioperl is the right tool to do the job, but I am trying to level up my awk when I read the RS variable. Not sure how to handle this situation for the RS and the FS variables.
Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change sequence name in along fasta file?

Hi I have an alignment file (.fasta) with ~80 sequences. They look like this- >JV101.contig00066(+):25302-42404|sequence_index=0|block_index=4|species=JV101|JV101_4_0 GAGGTTAATTATCGATAACGTTTAATTAAAGTGTTTAGGTGTCATAATTT TAAATGACGATTTCTCATTACCATACACCTAAATTATCATCAATCTGAAT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baika
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change sequence names in fasta file

I have fasta files with multiple sequences in each. I need to change the sequence name headers from: >accD:_59176-60699 ATGGAAAAGTGGAGGATTTATTCGTTTCAGAAGGAGTTCGAACGCA >atpA_(reverse_strand):_showing_revcomp_of_10525-12048 ATGGTAACCATTCAAGCCGACGAAATTAGTAATCTTATCCGGGAAC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyrianthinae
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequence from fasta file

Hi, I want to match the sequence id (sub-string of line starting with '>' and extract the information upto next '>' line ). Please help . input > fefrwefrwef X900 AGAGGGAATTGG AGGGGCCTGGAG GGTTCTCTTC > fefrwefrwef X932 AGAGGGAATTGG AGGAGGTGGAG GGTTCTCTTC > fefrwefrwef X937... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append file name to fasta file headers in Linux

How do we append the file name to fasta file headers in multiple fasta-files in Linux? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text file to HTML tabular format.

Please provide script/commands to convert text file to HTML tabular format. No need of styles and colours, just output and a heading in table is required. Output file will be send via email and will be seen from outlook. (script required without using awk). output file content: (sar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_V
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Round up -FASTA file

I have the following script: awk 'FNR==NR{s+=$3;next;} { print $1 , $2, 100*$3/s }' and the following file: >P39PT-1224 Freq 900 cccctacgacggcattggtaatggctcagctgctccggatcccgcaagccatcttggatatgagggttcgtcggcctcttcagccaagg-cccccagcagaacatccagctgatcg >P39PT-784 Freq 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selectively extracting entries from FASTA file

I would like to extract all entries containing the following patterns: ccccta & ccccccccc from the following infile: >P39PT-1224_Freq_900 cccctacgacggcattggtaatggctcccgcaagccatctctcttcagccaagg >P39PT-784_Freq_2 cccctacgacggcattggtaatggcacccgcaagccatctctcttccccccccc >P39PT-678_Freq_5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file

Hi, I have a fasta file with multiple sequences. How can i get only unique sequences from the file. For example my_file.fasta >seq1 TCTCAAAGAAAGCTGTGCTGCATACTGTACAAAACTTTGTCTGGAGAGATGGAGAATCTCATTGACTTTACAGGTGTGGACGGTCTTCAGAGATGGCTCAAGCTAACATTCCCTGACACACCTATAGGGAAAGAGCTAAC >seq2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibk
3 Replies
BP_AACOMP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     BP_AACOMP(1p)

NAME
aacomp - amino acid composition of protein sequences SYNOPSIS
aacomp [-f/--format FORMAT] [-h/--help] filename or aacomp [-f/--format FORMAT] < filename or aacomp [-f/--format FORMAT] -i filename DESCRIPTION
This scripts prints out the count of amino acids over all protein sequences from the input file. OPTIONS
The default sequence format is fasta. The sequence input can be provided using any of the three methods: unnamed argument aacomp filename named argument aacomp -i filename standard input aacomp < filename FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Jason Stajich Email jason@bioperl.org HISTORY
Based on aacomp.c from an old version of EMBOSS perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 BP_AACOMP(1p)