Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to concatenate spuriously separated lines Post 302584510 by methyl on Friday 23rd of December 2011 12:06:32 PM
Old 12-23-2011
Do you have control over the data extract program?

Referrring to your original post, I'm having trouble seeing the record structure or even deciding where one record stops and the next record starts. Some records seem to end with a pipe character and some with something else. The number of fields in each record also varies.
Is your example data an accurate representation of the record format. i.e. A random number of pipe-delimited fields? It would be so much easier if there were a fixed number of fields in each record.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

two lines into one colon separated line...

Does anyone know how to get these two output lines into one colon ':' separated line with some unix command? Maybe nawk. I've tried to read the nawk and awk man pages but I don't get it right. Are these commands the one to use? Output from find command: # /sw/tools/matlab/7.0.1/man... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonlu
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to concatenate consecutive lines

I have a few lines like -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 3, subtype 1, value 0, -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 1, subtype 1, value 0, I would like to concatenate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivi707
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two lines in one

Does anyone know a way I can fix my file below where it has lines that are cut? Just like the (notice the space before ms,c=PH).. dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=j ms,c=PH which should be dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=jms,c=PH The whole text file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate lines in pairs

Hi, I have a text file with the following contents /C=IT/O=INFN/OU=Personal Certificate/L=Napoli/CN=Some guy /C=IT/O=INFN/CN=INFN CA /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/OU=uninett.no/CN=Another guy /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/CN=NorduGrid Certification Authority /C=TW/O=AP/OU=GRID/CN=Someone else... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerl
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and print next 10 Lines separated by ,

Hi All, I need to grep through a file for a string and print the next ten lines to a file separating the lines with a , and save it as a csv file to open it as a XL file. The 10 lines should be on a sigle row in xl. Any suggesstions please. Note; I dont have a GNU Grep to use -A flag. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nani369
6 Replies

7. Programming

Concatenate two lines in a fIle

Hi All, Can any one help me in finding the solution for concatenating two or more lines in a file and writing them to a temporary file. for Example: He is a wise student. So he got first rank. This is in a file i want the output as He is a wise student so he got first rank. into a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday.sena.m
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines separated with semicolon

Hello, I would like to kindly ask you for help. I have a file with some lines in one row separated by semicolon. I need to find out, if the line I have in different variable is included in this file. e.g I have a file foo.txt with lines A=hello there;hello world;hello there world In... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satin1321
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines separated by new line

Hi guys, I have a file which has random records like mentioned below emcpower28a pci@3,03 (disk physical name) pci@3,04 emcpower9a pci@1,03 pci@2,03 pci@3,01 pci@4,03 there could be any number of disk names for any LUN (emc...) So, I want a solution to count disk names for its... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate three lines into one

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I am attempting to parse an Audit Log from Cognos/TM1, selecting only Event IDs of "client" which are found on the "start-tag" record. These Logs are in a pseudo-XML format but not a true XML format. I want to FTP an Audit Log File from the Cognos server to our UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredAtArrow
7 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)