Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Looking for AIX Practical Experience Post 302584342 by supercrazy1 on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 10:23:03 PM
Old 12-22-2011
Question Looking for AIX Practical Experience

I have been in IT for around 7 years now and have benefited greatly from Open Source as well as free commercial offerings like Vmware Server that allow me to setup virtual environments and get some hands on time with different OS's and software.

I am starting a new job in a few weeks which has a mixed environment where i will be exposed to more AIX than Linux and i am looking for a way to get some practical experience with the OS prior to my start date.

I understand that AIX is a commercial project so i'm not going to sit here and ask for a link to a free download but besides reading the documentation on redbooks, which is very good, does anyone have any suggestions on how best to spend the next few weeks to better familiarize myself for working with AIX?

Note: I am proficient on Linux, specifically RHEL and have a satisfactory ability on Sun.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Can a Pentium III (450mhz) have any practical use these days?

Having had a big sort out at work I've brought home 3 Dell Dimension XPS-450 PCs. I've installed Ubuntu Linux on one which went fine, everything works, network, sound, Graphics Drivers etc. and it can see all the other PCs & storage on my network and can use the Shared printers from other PCs on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Ward
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample Practical

Hello Today I had a beautiful test to write some commands using Ubuntu, now I want to make sure of my answers to be reassured, if I had a mistake please correct me List all files details under ubuntu Desktop. my answer: cd Desktop |ls -l Navigate to your Desktop directory and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: S4K
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing experience with AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris

I'm investigating AIX/HP-UX/Solaris for use in a research environment. Although there is plenty of technical documentation online, some important questions can only be answered from long user experience. I'd like to hear whatever you can contribute if you can compare at least two of these. To... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenp
16 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Don't understand the practical difference between command aliases and environmental variables

Hey, I'm recently learning Unix from the video course by Kevin Scoglund. I'm stuck at the moment where he goes into Environmenat variables. I have some issues with understanding what's the essential difference between EV and command aliases: for instance, by writing the command alias ll='ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
3 Replies
TIMETRANS(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     TIMETRANS(1p)

NAME
timetrans - Converts time into time SYNOPSIS
timetrans [units-options] [-count] DESCRIPTION
timetrans converts time from one type of unit to another. If any of the units options are specified, then timetrans will convert those time units into the number of seconds to which they add up. If given the count option, timetrans will convert that number of seconds into the appropriate number of weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds. The converted result is printed out. Units options cannot be specified in the same execution as the count option, and vice versa. timetrans is intended for use with DNSSEC-Tools, for calculating a zone's expiration time. OPTIONS
Units Options The converted value of each unit is totaled and a single result printed. -seconds seconds Count of seconds to convert to seconds. -minutes minutes Count of minutes to convert to seconds. -hours hours Count of hours to convert to seconds. -days days Count of days to convert to seconds. -weeks weeks Count of weeks to convert to seconds. Count Option The specified seconds count is converted to the appropriate number of weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds. -count seconds Count of seconds to convert to the appropriate set of units. Other Options timetrans has the following miscellaneous options. -Version Displays the version information for timetrans and the DNSSEC-Tools package. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting 5 days into seconds $(42)> timetrans -days 5 432000 Example 2: Converting 2 weeks into seconds $(43)> timetrans -w 2 1209600 Example 3: Converting 8 days and 8 hours into seconds $(44)> timetrans -d 8 -hours 8 720000 Example 4: Converting 1 week, 1 day, and 8 hours into seconds $(46)> timetrans -w 1 -days 1 -h 8 720000 Example 5: Converting 14 weeks, 4 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes, and 8 seconds into seconds $(47)> timetrans -w 14 -d 4 -h 21 -m 8 -s 8 8888888 Example 6: Converting 720000 seconds into time units $(48)> timetrans -c 720000 1 week, 1 day, 8 hours Example 7: Converting 1814421 seconds into time units $(49)> timetrans -c 1814421 3 weeks, 21 seconds Example 8: Converting 8888888 seconds into time units $(50)> timetrans -c 8888888 14 weeks, 4 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes, 8 seconds COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004-2012 SPARTA, Inc. All rights reserved. See the COPYING file included with the DNSSEC-Tools package for details. AUTHOR
Wayne Morrison, tewok@tislabs.com SEE ALSO
zonesigner(8) Net::DNS::SEC::Tools::timetrans.pm(3) perl v5.14.2 2012-06-21 TIMETRANS(1p)