Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system Post 302584292 by figaro on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 04:42:57 PM
Old 12-22-2011
When running dmesg I get lots of messages I have not seen before within dmesg:
Code:
[  313.420846] FAT: Filesystem error (dev sdb1)
[  313.420849]     fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 193270281)
[  268.192008] FAT: FAT read failed (blocknr 8688)
[  268.290867] FAT: Directory bread(block 12079392) failed

So it is a bit of a mystery as this happened suddenly. Also the situation did not change when running sudo mount -o remount,rw /media/disk
So perhaps best to restart the computer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove a ufs file system?

Hello, On a box with Solaris 10 I created a ufs file system and now I need to remove that file system. How do I remove a ufs file system on Solaris 10? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read file and remove max length

Hi all, I tried to write a shell to read huge file and eliminate max length record which is wrong generated record. But I get an error remove_sp.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `else' remove_sp.sh: line 27: ` else $LINE >> REJFILE' My shell is here: #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read only file system

Hi, Has any one worked on IPSO operating system. I have a to add a file to /etc directory. When I create a file it comes up with read only file system. Is there any way of adding a file to this directory, without changing the etc directory parameters. Br, Eugene (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene777
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ file system mounts as read only

I have a Netra T1 server running Solaris 8, It was installed by jump start, it does not have a cdrom drive. Recetly it crashed so I rebooted it from >LOM poweron and it came to run level 3, all file systems listed in /etc/vfstab are mounted, but /dev and / root are not writeable though in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last character in a string read from file

Hello, The last character is a comma , I have tried the following: sed -e 's/\,$//' filename-to-read however - there are still commas at the end of each line...:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Read-only file system error

My first post :) I deleted all the files within /system/library/startupitems to the trash bin. Now my mac snow leopard won't boot at all. All I got is the gray screen, apple logo and the spinning wheel...just spinning forever. I was able to boot in single-user mode. I'm trying to copy cp command... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: haxum
14 Replies

8. Red Hat

Read only file system : File show as ? ? ? ?

I have a test system, user which I have my home directory. /home/hansini The files under this directory show as ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sam.sh ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? DDD I know on the test system OS is corrupt and it is read only file system. If I go to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies
NEWFS_EXFAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    NEWFS_EXFAT(8)

NAME
newfs_exfat -- construct a new ExFAT file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_exfat [-N] [-R] [-I volume-serial-number] [-S bytes-per-sector] [-a sectors-per-FAT] [-b bytes-per-cluster] [-c sectors-per-cluster] [-n number-of-FATs] [-s total-sectors] [-v volume-name] special DESCRIPTION
The newfs_exfat utility creates an ExFAT file system on device special. If the -R option is not given, and the device is already formatted as ExFAT, it will preserve the partition offset, bytes per cluster, FAT offset and size, number of FATs, offset to start of clusters, number of clusters, volume serial number, and volume name (label). If a volume name was specified via the -v option, that name is used instead of the volume's previous name. The options are as follow: -N Don't create a file system: just print out parameters. -R Do not check whether the device is currently formatted as ExFAT. Always derive the partition offset, bytes per cluster, FAT offset and size, and offset to start of clusters based on the device type and size. -I volume-serial-number Volume ID, a 32-bit integer. -S bytes-per-sector Number of bytes per sector. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 512 through 4096. -a sectors-per-FAT Number of sectors per FAT. -b bytes-per-cluster File system block size (bytes per cluster). Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 512 through 33554432. -c sectors-per-cluster Sectors per cluster. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 1 through 65536. -n number-of-FATs Number of FATs. Acceptable values are 1 or 2. The default is 1. Using any value other than 1 is discouraged, and may be incompati- ble with other devices. -s total-sectors The total number of sectors in the device. -v volume-name Volume name (label). The name will be converted to UTF-16, and must be no longer than 11 UTF-16 characters. ASCII control charac- ters and some punctuation characters are not allowed (similar to DOS 8.3-style names). NOTE: The volume name may be an empty (zero- length) string. EXAMPLES
newfs_exfat /dev/disk0s1 Create a file system, using default parameters (or existing ExFAT layout), on /dev/rdisk0s1. newfs_exfat -v Hello disk2s1 Create a file system with the name "Hello" on /dev/rdisk2s1. SEE ALSO
mount_exfat(8), fsck_exfat(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 on error. HISTORY
The newfs_exfat command appeared in Mac OS X 10.6.3. Darwin January 19, 2010 Darwin