Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system Post 302584256 by figaro on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 01:12:24 PM
Old 12-22-2011
rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system

I have a file on a usb stick which I cannot remove and the following error message shows:
rm: cannot remove `file-name': Read-only file system

The usb stick is mounted as read-only on an Ubuntu system:
Code:
$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=1000,umask=0077,shortname=winnt,utf8)

How can I mount it read and write without having to log in as root?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove a ufs file system?

Hello, On a box with Solaris 10 I created a ufs file system and now I need to remove that file system. How do I remove a ufs file system on Solaris 10? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read file and remove max length

Hi all, I tried to write a shell to read huge file and eliminate max length record which is wrong generated record. But I get an error remove_sp.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `else' remove_sp.sh: line 27: ` else $LINE >> REJFILE' My shell is here: #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read only file system

Hi, Has any one worked on IPSO operating system. I have a to add a file to /etc directory. When I create a file it comes up with read only file system. Is there any way of adding a file to this directory, without changing the etc directory parameters. Br, Eugene (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene777
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ file system mounts as read only

I have a Netra T1 server running Solaris 8, It was installed by jump start, it does not have a cdrom drive. Recetly it crashed so I rebooted it from >LOM poweron and it came to run level 3, all file systems listed in /etc/vfstab are mounted, but /dev and / root are not writeable though in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last character in a string read from file

Hello, The last character is a comma , I have tried the following: sed -e 's/\,$//' filename-to-read however - there are still commas at the end of each line...:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Read-only file system error

My first post :) I deleted all the files within /system/library/startupitems to the trash bin. Now my mac snow leopard won't boot at all. All I got is the gray screen, apple logo and the spinning wheel...just spinning forever. I was able to boot in single-user mode. I'm trying to copy cp command... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: haxum
14 Replies

8. Red Hat

Read only file system : File show as ? ? ? ?

I have a test system, user which I have my home directory. /home/hansini The files under this directory show as ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sam.sh ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? DDD I know on the test system OS is corrupt and it is read only file system. If I go to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies
tmpfs(5)						   Debian Administrator's Manual						  tmpfs(5)

NAME
tmpfs - variables that configure tmpfs filesystems mounted during boot DESCRIPTION
The /etc/default/tmpfs file contains variable settings in POSIX format: VAR=VAL Only one assignment is allowed per line. Comments (starting with '#') are also allowed. This file is for the configuration of tmpfs filesystems mounted in early boot, before filesystems from /etc/fstab are mounted. This cur- rently includes the filesystems /run, /run/lock, /run/shm and /tmp. /run is required to be a tmpfs on systems supporting tmpfs mounts. /run/lock and /run/shm may be separate tmpfs mounts, useful for enforcing separate size limits. /tmp is not required to be a tmpfs, but is mounted as a tmpfs by default. /run Previously configured using RAMRUN in /etc/default/rcS, /run is now always mounted as a ram file system (tmpfs). The size of the tmpfs can be controlled using TMPFS_SIZE and RUN_SIZE. If desired, the defaults may also be overridden with an entry in in /etc/fstab, for example: tmpfs /run tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=10%,mode=755 0 0 The contents of /run will always be lost on system reboot, and it it is no longer explicitly cleaned at boot. Packages can not expect directories in /run to exist after boot. Packages expecting this are buggy and need to be fixed. Note that /run was previ- ously /var/run, and a compatibility symlink or bind mount will be created to allow the old path to continue to function. /run/lock Previously configured using RAMLOCK in /etc/default/rcS. Configured using RAMLOCK, TMPFS_SIZE and LOCK_SIZE. If desired, the defaults may also be overridden with an entry in in /etc/fstab, for example: tmpfs /run/lock tmpfs nodev,noexec,nosuid,size=52428800,mode=1777 0 0 Note that irrespective of these settings, /run/lock will be located on a tmpfs, either one mounted on /run/lock (if RAMLOCK=yes) or one mounted on /run (if RAMLOCK=no), and as a result the contents of /var/lock will always be lost on system reboot, and it it is no longer explicitly cleaned at boot. Packages can not expect directories in /var/lock to exist after boot. Packages expecting this are buggy and need to be fixed. Note that /run/lock was previously /var/lock, and a compatibility symlink or bind mount will be created to allow the old path to continue to function. /run/shm Previously configured using RAMSHM in /etc/default/rcS. Note that the setting in /etc/default/rcS, if present, will still be used, but the setting in /etc/default/tmpfs will take precedence if enabled. Configured using RAMSHM, TMPFS_SIZE and SHM_SIZE. If desired, the defaults may also be overridden with an entry in in /etc/fstab, for example: tmpfs /run/shm tmpfs nosuid,nodev,size=40%,mode=1777 0 0 Packages can not expect directories in /run/shm to exist after boot. Note that /run/shm was previously /dev/shm, and a compatibil- ity symlink or bind mount will be created to allow the old path to continue to function. If an fstab entry for /dev/shm exists instead of /run/shm, then /dev/shm will continue to be used; note that this is only needed for users of newer versions of the Oracle database, which contain a buggy check for /dev/shm. /tmp Previously configured using RAMTMP in /etc/default/rcS. Note that the setting in /etc/default/rcS, if present, will still be used, but the setting in /etc/default/tmpfs will take precedence if enabled. Configured using RAMTMP, TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE. If desired, the defaults may also be overridden with an entry in in /etc/fstab, for example: tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=20%,mode=1777 0 0 Packages can not expect directories in /tmp to exist after boot. OPTIONS
The following variables can be set. Enabling or disabling tmpfs mounts The following options enable specific mounts (with the exception of /run) to be enabled or disabled. Note that the addition of an entry to /etc/fstab for any of the following will enable the mount unconditionally, overriding the setting here. RAMLOCK Mount /run/lock as a tmpfs (separately from /run). Defaults to yes; set to no to disable (/run/lock will then be part of the /run tmpfs, if available). RAMSHM Mount /run/shm as a tmpfs (separately from /run). Defaults to yes; set to no to disable (/run/shm will then be part of the /run tmpfs, if available). RAMTMP Mount /tmp as a tmpfs. Defaults to no; set to yes to enable (/tmp will be part of the root filesystem if disabled). /tmp may also be configured to be a separate mount in /etc/fstab, which will override the RAMTMP setting. Configuring size limits for tmpfs mounts The following options configure size limits for tmpfs mounts. Note that the addition of an entry to /etc/fstab will override any of the limits specified here. The following _SIZE variables are the maximum size (in bytes) that tmpfs filesystems can use. The size will be rounded down to a multiple of the page size, 4096 bytes. If no size is set, TMPFS_SIZE will be used as the default. More complex mount options may be used by the creation of a suitable entry in /etc/fstab. For example: tmpfs /run tmpfs size=10% 0 0 is equivalent to RUN_SIZE=10% and will override the RUN_SIZE setting. This will allow additional options such as nr_blocks and nr_inodes to be used, and also adjustment of the mode, nodev, nosuid, noexec options should any change from the defaults be necessary. TMPFS_SIZE Maximum size for all tmpfs filesystems if no specific size is provided. The default is 20%VM (20% of virtual memory, including swap space). If no value is provided here, the kernel default (50% RAM) will be used. Note that the "%VM" suffix may be used in this and all the _SIZE settings below, but may not be used in /etc/fstab (the absolute size is calculated by the init scripts). RUN_SIZE Maximum size of /run (was previously /var/run). The default is 10% core memory; the size required varies widely depending upon the demands of the software being run; this heuristic scales /run usage on system size. Samba in particular has been seen to use at least 50MiB in a large heavily used server. Typical usage is hundreds of KiB, maximum is tens of MiB. LOCK_SIZE Maximum size of /run/lock (was previously /var/lock). Defaults to 5242880 (5 MiB). Typical usage: tens of KiB; maximum hundreds of KiB. The default of 5 MiB should ensure the limit is never reached. SHM_SIZE Maximum size of /run/shm (was previously /dev/shm). No default size; the size required varies widely depending upon the demands of the software being run. TMP_SIZE Maximum size of /tmp. No default size. Emergency overflow /tmp If the amount of free space on the root filesystem falls below a certain size, a tmpfs will be mounted on /tmp (irrespective of the RAMTMP setting, which this overrides). This is to permit logins when there would otherwise be too little free space for this to be possible. TMP_OVERFLOW_LIMIT Mount a tmpfs on /tmp if the amount of free space on the root filesystem is below the specified limit at boot time (default 1024 KiB). AUTHOR
Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org> SEE ALSO
mount(8), rcS(5). 18 Feb 2012 tmpfs(5)