Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity root cannot write to Linux RAM Post 302583965 by Alux on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 10:08:15 PM
Old 12-21-2011
OK, I want my code above to work with Linux. I'm an out of work systems hacker and this seems like a fun way of passing the time.

Some questions;

1.Do Linux Device Drivers operate at Ring 0?

2. Would the ability to read and update Kernel memory require writing a device driver or changing the Memory Management of Linux?

My main concern is the 'freeing' of the Linux kernel. So that the safety comes off, and the ability to make live updates without server downtime are possible.

Plus, such a feature would be fun! *smiles*

Corona, you hinted at a /dev/kmem file. I'm new to Linux systems programming, but have a couple of books on writing device drivers for Linux.

My ideas at this point are double;

1. /dev/kmem returns a raw dump of memory without formatting

2. /dev/kmem returns a formatted hexidecimal / Intel ASM output of the RAM in columns sided with RAM Addresses

My paths are thus;

1. Access the Global descriptor table task state segment of the kernel to obtain RAM values for access at a later point in the device driver. (Is that possible?)

2. Access the Process Table in Linux for a list of processes and start/stop address blocks. (Unsafe?)

So many questions at this point in time, not sure where to go for guidance on Linux systems programming.

Oh, if anyone when reading this post suddenly has a website link they think would be useful, or a book to purchase to help, any resources actually, I'd be happy to read up on the subject to make this idea possible.

Basically, what I want is to do the following in C;

Code:
void main() {

fd = open("/dev/kmem", 'rw');

// fd opens to beginning of kernel space in RAM

poke_ram(fd, $var);

seek(fd);

read(fd, buf...);

process(fd);

close(fd);

}
}

Rather simple idea? But how to make this code work with Linux?

Thank you for taking the time to read about my new idea.

I'm currently working on my own OS. It runs only in ring 0, and has full access to the RAM and kernel code. Never enters ring 4. Have you heard about self-modifying code? That is a passion of mine. The OS currently only is in text mode, protected mode with segmentation, and has a blue sky with white stars signifying the beginning of the end.

Last edited by Alux; 12-22-2011 at 02:18 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question

Has anyone had any experience with this new processor and its compatability with Linux/Unix? How did it preform comared to regular Athlons and P4's? I also have one other question. I plan on buying a new dell and fiddling left and right with it. Which type of RAM is better, RDRAM or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyPeN
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much RAM does RH Linux need?

I wish to install Red Hat linux 7.1 on a machine with 16mb of EDO Ram. When I enter the instalation process I am told 'You do not have enough memory'. Is there a way to install RHL with only the 16? Or will I have to upgrade and buy some very expensive EDO. ~ Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

4. Debian

what is the best linux ver for p100 16 ram

Hello all i own p100 16ram laptop , i would like to run linux on it i need it for gcc compilation and shell scripting , no gui. what version of linux should i install , i dont mind to install old one . tnx allot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux for Pentium @ 150 Mhz and 98Mb in RAM?

I don't know a lot of the world of Linux, but i want to start with an old machine; did someone knows if i can install Linux in a computer with a processor Pentium (not celeron) @ 133 Mhz, 98Mb in RAM (PC100) and 3Gb Hard Drive? a friend tell me about Ubuntu and openSUSE, but I don't know if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omega
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the RAM size for an Linux server.

Hi Gurus, Can someone let me know how to find the RAM size,ROM size and Number of processors for a linux server. Version :Linux 2.4.9-e.57smp Also what does "e.57smp" stands for? Thanks in advance gurus..... cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
3 Replies

7. Linux

Installation of Linux in 300 MHz with 128 MB ram

Hi I am very new to Linux, but very keen to learn it. I am having a desktop of 300 MHz with 128 MB RAM and 30 GB hard drive with Windows XP. My first question is - Is there any version/flavour of Linux available that can be installed on above system especially Fedora with less compromise... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

9. Linux Benchmarks

AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, Ram: 3.6 GB, Foxconn 7da-s and Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64

CPU/Speed: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor Ram: 3.6 GB Motherboard: Foxconn 7da-s Bus: Cache: Controller: Disk: Load: Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 Kernel ELF?: pgms: ============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migracho
0 Replies

10. Linux

Need assistance to enable more that 4GB RAM on Linux 32Bit OS.

How to enable more than 4GB RAM support on Linux 32bit OS? OS: CentOS release 5.4 (Final) Kernel version: 2.6.18-53.el5 Arch: 32Bit I got solution at Innovationframes.com • View topic - How to enable more than 4GB RAM support on Linux 32bit OS? but my question is the steps given... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandranjoy
5 Replies
pam_stack(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					      pam_stack(8)

NAME
pam_stack - recurse into other PAM stacks SYNOPSIS
auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=foo session optional /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=foo password optional /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=foo account optional /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=foo DESCRIPTION
In a nutshell, pam_stack lets you "call", from inside of the stack for a particular service, the stack defined for any another service. The intention is to allow multiple services to "include" a system-wide setup, so that when that setup needs to be changed, it need only be changed in one place. ARGUMENTS
debug turns on debugging via syslog(3). service=name tells pam_stack.so to execute the stack defined for the service name, which will usually be another file in /etc/pam.d. EXAMPLE
/etc/pam.d/imap: auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth auth required /lib/security/pam_shells.so /etc/pam.d/system-auth: auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_krb5.so auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nullok auth required /lib/security/pam_deny.so CAVEAT
Because recursion is fully supported, there is potential to really break things by having a stack call itself either directly or via mutual recursion. BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please email the author. AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Red Hat Linux 2001/01/30 pam_stack(8)