Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Accident use of arp -d command:Not able to login to server Post 302583887 by Corona688 on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 01:44:05 PM
Old 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder49
Dear Corona688,

'ARP ought to regenerate its own entries, and I'm not sure why it's not. '

Does the above statement means, it wll generate its owen entry and we should be able to login again.
I just deleted my own ARP entry. Nothing happened. It didn't even break my SSH connection. When something doesn't know your ARP address, all it has to do is ask. It will automatically do so then carry on without missing a beat.
Quote:
'Also try logging in from a different server ' I did not understand this. After deleting the ARP entry for the servers HOSTNAME I am not able to login to the server from any servers.
I'm with methyl on this. Unless you had something funky set up like static ARP addresses that cross subnets, deleting an ARP address shouldn't have done anything.

statically set ARP addresses won't autodetect, but I've only seem them used once in my entire life, at all, ever.
Quote:
And by anychance restarting the server will create the ARP entry again?
I couldn't say until I know what actually happened here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

trying to use arp command... it doesnt exist

im trying to get an ARP readout using the command 'arp -a'... but the command doesnt exist in Fedora Core 6 - IPv6.... is there an equivalent command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HMSS013
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
5 Replies

4. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Found by accident: Cygwin tips that still work (most of them)

The link: Cygwin Tips by zzapper Linux Like Environment for Windows The tip I found most useful: Scroll down to this line: It describes how to add useful Windows-side folders to your Cygwin install by changing them into POSIX paths, accessible via cd /<shortcutname> but invisible to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give user name and password in a single command to login to remote server

Hello All, I'm new to unix and i need the below favour from you. I have list of 50 unix server. I need to login to all the server one by one and with the same user and password. I will declare the user name and password globally in the script. for example : servername- hyperV user name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari A
4 Replies

8. AIX

User Account Login Login on your AIX server

I want to learn AIX. I would like to find someone who would be willing to give me a login to their AIX home lab server. My intent is to poke around and discover the similarities and differences of AIX compared to other *NIXs. I am a UNIX admin so I can think of what some immediate concerns may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_in_my_shel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do I require remote login access to a windows server to transfer files from a UNIX server

Hi All I need to transfer a file from a UNIX server to a windows server. I saw that it is possible to do this using scp command by looking at the forum listed below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
2 Replies

10. AIX

Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console.

Hi, i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server. also the server is not ping-able with other server. filesystem is fine. and OS version is AIX 5.3. please let me know if you need any specific log. thx in advance. Scriptor (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
arp(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   arp(1M)

NAME
arp - address resolution display and control SYNOPSIS
arp hostname arp -a [-n] arp -d hostname arp -f filename arp -s hostname ether_address [temp] [pub] [trail] DESCRIPTION
The arp program displays and modifies the Internet-to-MAC address translation tables used by the address resolution protocol (see arp(7P)). With no flags, the program displays the current ARP entry for hostname. The host may be specified by name or by number, using Internet dot notation. OPTIONS
-a Display all of the current ARP entries. The definition for the flags in the table are: M Mapping; only used for the multicast entry for 224.0.0.0 P Publish; includes IP address for the machine and the addresses that have explicitly been added by the -s option. ARP will respond to ARP requests for this address. S Static; not learned for the ARP protocol. U Unresolved; waiting for ARP response. You can use the -n option with the -a option to disable the automatic numeric IP address-to-name translation. Use arp -an or arp -na to display numeric IP addresses. -d Delete an entry for the host called hostname. This option may only be used by the super-user. -f Read the file named filename and set multiple entries in the ARP tables. Entries in the file should be of the form: hostname MACaddress [temp] [pub] [trail] See the -s option for argument definitions. -s Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with the MAC address MACaddress. For example, an Ethernet address is given as six hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. The entry will be permanent unless the word temp is given in the command. If the word pub is given, the entry will be published. For instance, this system will respond to ARP requests for hostname even though the hostname is not its own. The word trail indicates that trailer encapsulations may be sent to this host. arp -s can be used for a limited form of proxy ARP when a host on one of the directly attached networks is not physically present on the subnet. Another machine can then be configured to respond to ARP requests using arp -s. This is useful in certain SLIP configurations. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), arp(7P), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Mar 2003 arp(1M)