Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding multiply directories
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding multiply directories Post 302583846 by shorty on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 11:26:11 AM
Old 12-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
'tail' by itself will just sit there, waiting for you to type at least 10 lines into the keyboard.

Try tail -f filename

> works perfectly fine with find. I think your method of viewing the output was suspect. Try escaping that dot.m 'DS\.' Put it in single quotes, not double, so the shell doesn't get all happy and eat the backslash for you. grep takes regular expressions, and in those, "." means "any character". So "DS." would match DSA, DSB, DSC, DSD, and so forth. To match DS. and only DS. you have to escape the . to make it realize it's a real .

If that's not the problem, then what exactly are you trying to do?
Thank you for the response. Yes, I'm aware of the 'tail' syntax. I just mentioned it in a general context.

The grep 'DS.' is correct as I don't want anything (-v) matching DSA, DSB,DSC, etc.

I'm still puzzled that '>' just simply refuses to write to 'filename'. I'm perplexed with this weird behavior Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding executable files in all directories

This is probably very easy but I would like to know a way to list all my files in all my directories that are readable and executable to everyone. I was told to use find or ls and I tried some stuff but couldnt get it to work. I understand that its dangerous to have files with these permissions for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expression for Finding Multiple Directories..??

I am writing a shell script to search for previous versions of an application...the application is called TAU and basically i want to search the users home directory and /Applications for any instances of a "TAU" folder.. If found i want to give the user the option to remove the old folders and if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meskue
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding largest files (not directories)?

hello all. i would like to be able to find the names of all files on a remote machine using ssh. i only want the names of files, not directories so far i'm stuck at "du -a | sort -n" also, is it possible to write them to a file on my machine? i know how to write it to a file on that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user19190989
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding correct directories

I have directories like V00R01,V00R02,V01R01,V01R02 in a directory where V is version and R is a release. basically I need to set base directory and current directory. Under a version there can be any number of releases and there can be number of versions also. V00R01...V00R50..so on also,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjasai
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding directories older than 5 days

Hello, Motive: Search all directories which are older than 5 days. Example: consider following directory structure: abc/dir1 abc/dir1/dir abc/dir2 abc/dir3 abc/dir3/temp Suppose dir1 and dir3 are 5 days older. Then I am looking for a command which lists abc/dir1 and abic/dir3 only so that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mytempid07
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding size of all directories

Alright so I've tried a couple different things that at first glance, looked like they worked. find . -maxdepth 5 -type d -daystart -mtime 1 | xargs du -h Which seems to ignore the previous commands such as depth and modified time. find .. -maxdepth 2 -type d -daystart -ctime 1 | xargs... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding directories with expression

Hi All, I need your help in finding pattern of directories. need to search for all pattern have "mypatern" from base directory folder. example ------- server1 - base directory 100 server1/ab_123456_1/mypattern 100 server1/ab_123456_2/mypattern 200 server1/ab_123457_1/mypattern... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files deep in directories

i need to find a portable way to go through multiple directories to find a file. I've trid something like this: find /opt/oracle/diag/*/alert_HH2.log -printordinarily, i can run the ls command and it will find it: /opt/oracle/diag/*/*/*/*/alert_HH2.log The problem with this approach is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)