Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming arithmetic calculation using awk Post 302583601 by ida1215 on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 11:37:54 PM
Old 12-21-2011
arithmetic calculation using awk

hi there again,

i need to do a simple division with my data with a number of rows. i think i wanted to have a simple output like this one:

Code:
col1 col2 col3
val1 val2 val1/val2
valn valm valn/valm

any suggestion is very much appreciated. thanks much.

Last edited by ida1215; 12-21-2011 at 12:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk for arithmetic task

I have file with this type of format 01.02.09 08:30 bob jill mark 01.04.09 07:00 bob jill mark tom I want to count the names after the date /ime line (01.02.09 08:30) and add that number after the time like this 01.02.09 08:30 3 01.04.09 07:00 4 I don't care about... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcelino
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation with awk

I have output like following in a file usmtnz-dinfsi19 72 71 38 1199 1199 0.8 19:23:58 usmtnz-dinfsi19 72 71 38 1199 1199 0.8 19:24:04 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation on real numbers in Bourne Shell Script

I am begining to learn bourne shell and as a practice I have written a script which when given the purchase price and percentage of discount calculates the savings. I somehow cannot figure out why my script fails to do arthimatic calculation on real numbers. Could anyone look at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation in variable

Hi, I am trying to do an addition to a value stored in a variable... var1=`grep -n "match" sample.txt|cut -d : -f1` var2=`echo $var1|cut -d " " -f1` (Here i want add +1 to the output value) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PAssing variables to awk arithmetic

Hi all, I am wanting to pass variables from a file to an awk arithmetic formula. When I use the formula with the value it works well. As soon as I make these variables I get an inf (infinity) response. I can certainly echo the variables back and they look correct. My googling for answers has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gafoleyo73
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic arithmetic operation with awk?

input: Name|Operation rec_10|1+2+2- Output: rec_10|1 Basically I am trying to calculate the result of "the path" in $3 where the operators follow the number and not preceding them like we normally do: rec_10: +1+2-2=1 But I realise (I am sure there is a good reason for that) that awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and awk calculation in the same command

I am trying to run the awk below. My question is when I split the input, then run anotherawk to perform a calculation using that splitas the input there are no issues. When I try to combine them the output is not correct, is the split not working or did I do it wrong? Thank you :). input ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BC calculation for floating (invalid arithmetic operator )

Hi, I wish to compare the CPU LOAD 1 min with 5mins and 15mins. If 1 min's CPU LOAd spike 3% compare to 5 mins or 15 mins CPU Load, it is warning. If 1 min's CPU LOAd spike 5% compare to 5 mins or 15 mins CPU Load, it is critical. However I received following code error, I google it and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvintiow
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to do arithmetic operation

Hi, I've this following text file FileVersion = 1.03 Filetype = meteo_on_curvilinear_grid TIME = 0 hours since 2016-10-03 12:00:00 +00:00 -6.855 -6.828 -6.801 -6.774 -6.747 -6.719 -6.691 -6.663 -6.634 -6.606 -6.577 -6.548 -6.519 -6.489 TIME = 0 hours since... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xisan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Conditional Arithmetic in [g]awk

I am having a difficult time getting an awk one-liner to work correctly that runs a mathematical operation upon values in a field when matching a given criteria. I would like to subtract 1 from every value in field $6 that is greater than 12. In this particular case it is only a constant of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
3 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic -- quiz on simple arithmetic SYNOPSIS
arithmetic [-o +-x/] [-r range] DESCRIPTION
arithmetic asks you to solve problems in simple arithmetic. Each question must be answered correctly before going on to the next. After every 20 problems, it prints the score so far and the time taken. You can quit at any time by typing the interrupt or end-of-file character. The options are as follows: -o By default, arithmetic asks questions on addition of numbers from 0 to 10, and corresponding subtraction. By supplying one or more of the characters +-x/, you can ask for problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respectively. If you give one of these characters more than once, that kind of problem will be asked correspondingly more often. -r If a range is supplied, arithmetic selects the numbers in its problems in the following way. For addition and multiplication, the numbers to be added or multiplied are between 0 and range, inclusive. For subtraction and division, both the required result and the number to divide by or subtract will be between 0 and range. (Of course, arithmetic will not ask you to divide by 0.) The default range is 10. When you get a problem wrong, arithmetic will remember the numbers involved, and will tend to select those numbers more often than others, in problems of the same sort. Eventually it will forgive and forget. arithmetic cannot be persuaded to tell you the right answer. You must work it out for yourself. DIAGNOSTICS
``What?'' if you get a question wrong. ``Right!'' if you get it right. ``Please type a number.'' if arithmetic doesn't understand what you typed. SEE ALSO
bc(1), dc(1) BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD