Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines Post 302583595 by slimjbe on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 10:16:23 PM
Old 12-20-2011
Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below).

Example:

one
two

three
four

five

six
seven

eight

I want it to look like:

one
two

three
four

six
seven

Where "five" and "eight" were deleted because they were single lines. Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - delete last 2 lines.

I have been reading through the sed one liners, trying to understand what is happening. # delete the last 2 lines of a file sed 'N;$!P;$!D;$d' The above will delete the last 2 line of a file. I tried analyzing what happens. And I got lost :( This is what I understood so far from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - delete all lines until a match on 2 lines

First of all, I know this can be more eassily done with perl or other scripting languages but, that's not the issue. I need this in sed. (or wander if it's possible ) I got a file (trace file to recreate the control file from oracle for the dba boys) which contains some lines another line... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to delete lines that with the following

Hi, I'm very new to Sed and I have a very large file that contains data in the following way (*064) 1 4 10 (*064) simulation time = 0.12000E-05 (*064) 1 2 10 (*064) 1 3 10Essentially what I want to do it delete every line that starts with '(*064) 1'I tried the following, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines using sed?

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.158:80> DocumentRoot /home/ten ServerName ten.com </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.158:80> DocumentRoot /home/sachin ServerName sachin.com </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.158:80> DocumentRoot /home/yuvraj ServerName yuvraj.com... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkmmelvin
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk : how to delete lines based on IP pattern ?

Hi, I would like to delete lines in /etc/hosts on few workstations, basically I want to delete all the lines for a list of machines like this : for HOST in $(cat stations.lst |uniq) do # echo -n "$HOST" if ping -c 1 $HOST > /dev/null 2>&1 then HOSTNAME_val=`rsh $HOST "sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albator1932
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Lines : after pattern1 and between pattern2 and pattern3 using awk/sed/perl

Hi I need to delete lines from a file which are after pattern1 and between pattern 2 and patter3, as below: aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb pattern1 cdededed ddededed pattern2 fefefefe <-----Delete this line efefefef <-----Delete this line pattern3 adsffdsd huaserew Please can you suggest... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk2012
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk: delete n lines following a formfeed

Hi Members, This is my first post in this forum. I want to do is match form feed lines one by one in a file and delete the next n lines (ex-3 lines) with the form feed character Eg - Files looks like Data 1 Data 2 Data 3 FF Hdr1 Hdr2 Hdr3 Data4 Data5 FF Hdr1 Hdr2 Hdr3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yohan
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to delete a regex between range of lines

Hi Guys I am looking for a solution to one problem to remove parentheses in a range of lines. Input file module bist_logic_inst(a, ab , dhd, dhdh , djdj, hdh, djjd, jdj, dhd, dhp, dk ); input a; input ab; input dhd; input djdj; input dhd; output hdh; output djjd; output jdj;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies
SDIFF(1)							     GNU Tools								  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - find differences between two files and merge interactively SYNOPSIS
sdiff -o outfile [options] from-file to-file DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command merges two files and interactively outputs the results to outfile. If from-file is a directory and to-file is not, sdiff compares the file in from-file whose file name is that of to-file, and vice versa. from-file and to-file may not both be directories. sdiff options begin with -, so normally from-file and to-file may not begin with -. However, -- as an argument by itself treats the remaining arguments as file names even if they begin with -. You may not use - as an input file. sdiff without -o (or --output) produces a side-by-side difference. This usage is obsolete; use diff --side-by-side instead. Options Below is a summary of all of the options that GNU sdiff accepts. Each option has two equivalent names, one of which is a single letter preceded by -, and the other of which is a long name preceded by --. Multiple single letter options (unless they take an argument) can be combined into a single command line argument. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -a Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -b Ignore changes in amount of white space. -B Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. -d Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -H Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. -i Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -I regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-all-space Ignore white space when comparing lines. --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes that just insert or delete blank lines. --ignore-case Ignore changes in case; consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. --ignore-matching-lines=regexp Ignore changes that just insert or delete lines that match regexp. --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in amount of white space. -l --left-column Print only the left column of two common lines. --minimal Change the algorithm to perhaps find a smaller set of changes. This makes sdiff slower (sometimes much slower). -o file --output=file Put merged output into file. This option is required for merging. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not print common lines. --speed-large-files Use heuristics to speed handling of large files that have numerous scattered small changes. -t Expand tabs to spaces in the output, to preserve the alignment of tabs in the input files. --text Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not appear to be text. -v --version Output the version number of sdiff. -w columns --width=columns Use an output width of columns. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -W in diff, -w in sdiff. -W Ignore horizontal white space when comparing lines. Note that for historical reasons, this option is -w in diff, -W in sdiff. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), diff3(1). DIAGNOSTICS
An exit status of 0 means no differences were found, 1 means some differences were found, and 2 means trouble. GNU Tools 22sep1993 SDIFF(1)