Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Command to calculate space for all subdirs under a dir Post 302583496 by Corona688 on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 01:39:21 PM
Old 12-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypatil_am
du -hs command calculates the space for all the subdirs under a dir ...but it is very slow if the dir is huge....is there any quick way ...I am using Sun OS.
No matter how you cut it, getting the total space for something means scanning inodes for each and every individual file inside. No matter how you do it, the same amount of disk thrashing will happen.

Breaking the job into smaller parts is a neat idea, otheus.

Another thing you could do is look for large directories. Directories have a file size too. Finding a large directory won't tell you how much space the contents use, or precisely how many files are inside, but will warn you about directories directly containing very large amounts of entries.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate the space

Hi everyone, I need to write a script to calculate the space for sub-folders under /home: Here is the scanrio: cd /home drwxr-xr-x 57 root root 8192 Jan 22 16:13 home_1 drwxrwxrwx 69 root root 8192 Jan 29 10:36 home_2 drwxr-xr-x 97 root root 8192 Nov... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: za_7565
8 Replies

2. AIX

find command - no subdirs

I am looking to delete files that are of a certain age with something like the following... find /directory -type f -mtime +14 | xargs rm ....however, I would like to only execute this on the current directory and not subdirectories. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp how to deal with space in path to dir?

OK I am trying to use something similar to this: #!/bin/sh echo "OK, starting now..." sftp -b /dev/fd/0 user@remotehost <<EOF cd pub ascii put filename.txt bye EOF only difference is the dir I need to cd to has a space in it like this /Import/Server/Prospect File ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

substrings from all files incl subdirs into csv with dir names

Greetings! I have multiple files, one per subdirectory, all with the same file name. All subdirectories are one level deep from the main directory. The data in the files is tab delimited between fields and record delimited with a newline. The subdirectory names have the date in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtischuk@yahoo.
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create dir in main &subdirs,perform action

Hi, I have one dir which has N subdirs.For ex: /home/user/Project_Src /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A/subdir/sub_dir2 /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A/subdir/sub_dir3 /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_B /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_B/Build i want to create a folder with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files and subdirs from dir to a new dir

Hello Comunity I am trying to make a bash shell script that it copies files and subdirs(with files) to a new dir. I would like the dest_dir to contain only subdirectories with files not other subdirs inside. it called : cpflatdir src_dir dest_dir Pleaze help me! Thank you in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BTKBaaMMM
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files older that 7 days in a dir, excluding all subdirs

Hi, I would like to list all files, older than 7 days, in a directory, but exclude all subdirectories in the find command. If I use find . -type f -mtime +7 all files in the subdirs are also included. How can I exclude them? Regards, JW (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwbijl
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot cd to dir with space

I have a script that I am trying to use. I need it to run from a certain directory. I have tried the following: SCRIPT_DIR=$PWD MYDIR="/filemount/files/Move Files" cd "$MYDIR" $SCRIPT_DIR/movefiles.bash I have tried to run it. but I always get "no such file or directory" from the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Running a script in a sub dir with space in it

Hi I am trying to run a script in a sub-directory, that has one space on it: such as: /internaldisk1/Task Logs1, but my entry in cron is not working: 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /internaldisk1/Task\ logs1/./remov_reject.sh > /var/tmp/interd_`date '+%Y%M%d'`.log 2>&1 Please can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies
MKFONTDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MKFONTDIR(1)

NAME
mkfontdir - create an index of X font files in a directory SYNOPSIS
mkfontdir [-n] [-x suffix] [-r] [-p prefix] [-e encoding-directory-name] ... [--] [directory-name ... ] DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, mkfontdir reads all of the font files in the directory searching for properties named "FONT", or (failing that) the name of the file stripped of its suffix. These are converted to lower case and used as font names, and, along with the name of the font file, are written out to the file "fonts.dir" in the directory. The X server and font server use "fonts.dir" to find font files. The kinds of font files read by mkfontdir depend on configuration parameters, but typically include PCF (suffix ".pcf"), SNF (suffix ".snf") and BDF (suffix ".bdf"). If a font exists in multiple formats, mkfontdir will first choose PCF, then SNF and finally BDF. The first line of fonts.dir gives the number of fonts in the file. The remaining lines list the fonts themselves, one per line, in two fields. First is the name of the font file, followed by a space and the name of the font. SCALABLE FONTS
Because scalable font files do not usually include the X font name, the file "fonts.scale" can be used to name the scalable fonts in the directory. The fonts listed in it are copied to fonts.dir by mkfontdir. "fonts.scale" has the same format as the "fonts.dir" file. FONT NAME ALIASES
The file "fonts.alias", which can be put in any directory of the font-path, is used to map new names to existing fonts, and should be edited by hand. The format is two white-space separated columns, the first containing aliases and the second containing font-name pat- terns. Lines beginning with "!" are comment lines and are ignored. If neither the alias nor the value specifies the size fields of the font name, this is a scalable alias. A font name of any size that matches this alias will be mapped to the same size of the font that the alias resolves to. When a font alias is used, the name it references is searched for in the normal manner, looking through each font directory in turn. This means that the aliases need not mention fonts in the same directory as the alias file. To embed white space in either name, simply enclose it in double-quote marks; to embed double-quote marks (or any other character), precede them with back-slash: "magic-alias with spaces" ""font name" with quotes" regular-alias fixed If the string "FILE_NAMES_ALIASES" stands alone on a line, each file-name in the directory (stripped of its suffix) will be used as an alias for that font. ENCODING FILES
The option -e can be used to specify a directory with encoding files. Every such directory is scanned for encoding files, the list of which is then written to an "encodings.dir" file in every font directory. The "encodings.dir" file is used by the server to find encoding information. The "encodings.dir" file has the same format as "fonts.dir". It maps encoding names (strings of the form CHARSET_REGISTRY-CHARSET_ENCODING ) to encoding file names. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Specify a directory containing encoding files. The -e option may be specified multiple times, and all the specified directories will be read. The order of the entries is significant, as encodings found in earlier directories override those in later ones; encoding files in the same directory are discriminated by preferring compressed versions. -n do not scan for fonts, do not write font directory files. This option is useful when generating encoding directories only. -p Specify a prefix that is prepended to the encoding file path names when they are written to the "encodings.dir" file. The prefix is prepended as-is. If a `/' is required between the prefix and the path names, it must be supplied explicitly as part of the prefix. -r Keep non-absolute encoding directories in their relative form when writing the "encodings.dir" file. The default is to convert rel- ative encoding directories to absolute directories by prepending the current directory. The positioning of this options is signifi- cant, as this option only applies to subsequent -e options. -x suffix Ignore fonts files of type suffix. -- End options. FILES
fonts.dir List of fonts in the directory and the files they are stored in. Created by mkfontdir. Read by the X server and font server each time the font path is set (see xset(1)). fonts.scale List of scalable fonts in the directory. Contents are copied to fonts.dir by mkfontdir. fonts.alias List of font name aliases. Read by the X server and font server each time the font path is set (see xset(1)). encodings.dir List of known encodings and the files they are stored in. Created by mkfontdir. Read by the X server and font server each time a font with an unknown charset is opened. SEE ALSO
X(7), Xserver(1), xfs(1), xset(1) XFree86 Version 4.7.0 MKFONTDIR(1)