Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding multiply directories
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding multiply directories Post 302583416 by shorty on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 11:08:13 AM
Old 12-20-2011
Question Finding multiply directories

I have multiply directories scattered throughout my system that end in 2011.
Example:
Code:
one_2011
two_2011
three_2011
etc....

I'm trying to find all of these directories but coming up short.

I tried
Code:
find / -type d -name *2011 > example

Any suggestions? I already searched in the forums but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use

code tags!

Last edited by vbe; 12-20-2011 at 12:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding executable files in all directories

This is probably very easy but I would like to know a way to list all my files in all my directories that are readable and executable to everyone. I was told to use find or ls and I tried some stuff but couldnt get it to work. I understand that its dangerous to have files with these permissions for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expression for Finding Multiple Directories..??

I am writing a shell script to search for previous versions of an application...the application is called TAU and basically i want to search the users home directory and /Applications for any instances of a "TAU" folder.. If found i want to give the user the option to remove the old folders and if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meskue
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding largest files (not directories)?

hello all. i would like to be able to find the names of all files on a remote machine using ssh. i only want the names of files, not directories so far i'm stuck at "du -a | sort -n" also, is it possible to write them to a file on my machine? i know how to write it to a file on that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user19190989
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding correct directories

I have directories like V00R01,V00R02,V01R01,V01R02 in a directory where V is version and R is a release. basically I need to set base directory and current directory. Under a version there can be any number of releases and there can be number of versions also. V00R01...V00R50..so on also,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjasai
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding directories older than 5 days

Hello, Motive: Search all directories which are older than 5 days. Example: consider following directory structure: abc/dir1 abc/dir1/dir abc/dir2 abc/dir3 abc/dir3/temp Suppose dir1 and dir3 are 5 days older. Then I am looking for a command which lists abc/dir1 and abic/dir3 only so that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mytempid07
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding size of all directories

Alright so I've tried a couple different things that at first glance, looked like they worked. find . -maxdepth 5 -type d -daystart -mtime 1 | xargs du -h Which seems to ignore the previous commands such as depth and modified time. find .. -maxdepth 2 -type d -daystart -ctime 1 | xargs... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding directories with expression

Hi All, I need your help in finding pattern of directories. need to search for all pattern have "mypatern" from base directory folder. example ------- server1 - base directory 100 server1/ab_123456_1/mypattern 100 server1/ab_123456_2/mypattern 200 server1/ab_123457_1/mypattern... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files deep in directories

i need to find a portable way to go through multiple directories to find a file. I've trid something like this: find /opt/oracle/diag/*/alert_HH2.log -printordinarily, i can run the ls command and it will find it: /opt/oracle/diag/*/*/*/*/alert_HH2.log The problem with this approach is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
FINDTAGS(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      FINDTAGS(1p)

NAME
findtags - find tags in Interchange catalogs and directories SYNOPSIS
findtags -a -d lib/UI findtags -a -d lib/UI -t -u findtags -a -u -t DESCRIPTION
Find tags in Interchange catalogs and directories -- intended to develop a list for TagInclude. WARNING: This is not 100%, for developing tag names from Variable definitions and other sources can fool it. If you include all directories, make sure you don't include documentation files or the usertags themselves. With the standard distribution, this should find just about all tags needed: findtags -a -d lib/UI To develop a TagInclude statement which excludes unused tags, try: findtags -a -d lib/UI -t -u If you don't want to use the UI, then do: findtags -a -u -t OPTIONS
-a Look in all catalogs. -c CAT Only look in catalog CAT. -d DIR1 DIR2 .... Look in given directories. -f FILE Use alternate interchange.cfg file FILE. -h Display help. -n Don't report system tags. -t Output suitable for TagInclude directive. -u Report unseen tags. -v Slightly verbose, report directories scanned. -x DIR1 DIR2 .... Exclude given directories from scanning. Default is session and tmp. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-23 FINDTAGS(1p)