Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restrict user access
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Restrict user access Post 302583395 by verdepollo on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 10:33:10 AM
Old 12-20-2011
Before you can assign an ACL, you have to make sure that the filesystem supports them:
Code:
tune2fs -l /dev/sdX/ | grep options

If you run mount you may also get the details. There should be an "acl" option somewhere in the mount options.

If it does not support ACLs, you can always remount the filesystem:

Code:
mount -o remount,acl /usr/sap

Having said so, your ACL command is almost correct:
Code:
setfacl -m d:u:ZODCIFUSR:r /usr/sap

When an ACLs (POSIX ACL) is set on a directory, all new files created inside inherit the default ACL. If for some reason you want to copy a file that has an ACL to a directory that does not use ACLs, both cp -p and mv will preserve the original ACL.

Last edited by verdepollo; 12-20-2011 at 04:59 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to verdepollo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict tcp-port access

Hi Is there any way to restrict the TCP-IP port usage. I want to restrict TCP-IP port 1500/1550 to the oracle osuser. Tanks in advance. Remi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: remivisser
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to restrict a user group to access the kernel

Hi, Please any one can help me to know that how we can restrict a user group to access the kernel at all. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

restrict access of a user to two directories only

Hi all, I am using RHEL 5.0 I need a user say test to have full access to two directories, say /tmp1 & /tmp2 only other than his home directory. I do not want to change his login shell which is ksh or bash by default. Moreover, he should not even have read access of other directories. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict FTP access to a single directory for only one user.

Hi All, It will be very great if you can help me in this issue. Thanks in advance. I need to enable FTP on a solaris9 server. I need to create a new user some "xxxxxx" and he can only FTP the files to and from between /tftpboot directory and network devices. Other users should not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict user access to their home dir

Hi! i'm using FreeBSD 6.2 and hosting my pc to frens in particular of sensitive information being saved to the PC, i would like to know is it possible for me to restrict user access to their /home dir. only? and also, i wanted to restrict them listing files under /etc thanks all! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdns
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict access to specific users.

Hi All! I would like to know if there is any specific way by which I can restrict access to apecific users (ip addresses). OS : Red hat linux Thanks! nua7 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict Access to the folder

Hi I have requirement to create 3 new users on my server but to restrict their access to a set of particular folders. /export/home/kapil/shared, /export/home/kapil/shared/Folder1 /export/home/kapil/shared/Folder2 These folders should be accessible to all the 3 users and to me too.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kapilk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict user access.

Hi All, How can we restrict a particular user access to a particular shell in solaris 10. Thanks in Advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Restrict SUDO Access

Linux ubuntu 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:56:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Hi Folks, Please help me. I am bit struck here. Here is the OS info. Linux ubuntu 3.0.0-12-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 7 14:56:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I have a... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: explorer007
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict access

I'm trying to use squid to restrict elinks' access to certain websites(only http traffic). I have tried some configs in squid.conf but no luck. Hope someone has a bit of time to explain me how can you make these config's :) ---------- Post updated at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Birnbacher
1 Replies
dxsetacl(8X)															      dxsetacl(8X)

NAME
dxsetacl - Graphical interface for setting the ACL on a file or directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxsetacl [arguments...] OPTIONS
The name of the file or directory to operate on. The regular X resources can be supplied to dxsetacl on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The dxsetacl command provides a graphical interface for examining and setting file access control lists (ACLs). If a path is specified on the command line, the file system object represented by path is used as the target of the command. In addition, there is a Find Object area on the main dialog box. A path may be typed in, or located by browsing the file system. A file reference may be dragged from a CDE application, such as the File Manager, and dropped on the Find Object area. Once an object is selected, its full path name, object type, owner, and group are displayed along with the ACL. The ACL is displayed, one entry per line, in a list widget. Clicking on an entry selects it. Double clicking on an entry or selecting the Change Entry button brings up a dialog that allows the fields of the entry to be modified. Clicking on the Delete Entry button removes the entry. The owning user, owning group, and other user entries may be modified but not deleted. (See acl(4) for more information.) The New Entry button may be used to create a new group or user entry. If the object is a regular file, device special file, or UNIX domain socket, it only has an access ACL. If the object is a directory, it has an access ACL, a default access ACL, and a default directory ACL. Which ACL of a directory is being edited may be selected with a radio button. Note The dxsetacl command will show and set ACLs on file system objects, regardless of whether ACLs are used by the system for access decisions. The sysman secconfig utility is used to enable ACL checking. SEE ALSO
Commands: X(1X), secconfig(8) Files: acl(4) dxsetacl(8X)