Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting incrementing the variable name along with the data? Post 302583122 by Stephan on Monday 19th of December 2011 03:21:13 PM
Old 12-19-2011
incrementing the variable name along with the data?

Hello folks.

I am trying to increment my variable names to match a counter that is to be used later on...

Basically, i have a for loop that lists directories (for example TEST_OS DVP_OS PROD_OS ) but this loop is not static, it may contain 3 directory once and the next run 5 directories.

I then, want to assign "selection1" to TEST_OS, "selection2" to DVP_OS and "selection3" to PRD_OS. Again, those are not static...

Here is the code i have for now, but the "combining" of variables is not working...Smilie (selection$counter=$i) What i want, is that the variable selection1=TEST_OS and so forth...

Code:
BKPSETS=`ls -altr /etc/workdir/ | grep $OS | awk '{print $9}'`
counter=1

for i in $BKPSETS
do
        echo $counter "-" $i
        selection$counter=$i
        echo $selection

counter=`expr $counter + 1`
done

read CHOICE

if [[ $CHOICE -ge $COUNTER ]]
then
        echo "No such choice available.  Quitting!"
        exit 1
        else
        echo "You've selected option $CHOICE"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read the data from an excel sheet and use those data as variable in the unix c

I have 3 columns in an excel sheet. c1 c2 c3 EIP_ACCOUNT SMALL_TS_01 select A.* from acc; All the above 3 col shoud be passed a variable in the unix code. 1.How to read an excel file 2.How to pass these data as variable to the unic script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Grace
1 Replies

2. Linux

Incrementing the date stored in the variable

Hi all, I have a variable with date as 20080831 . Now I want to increment it as 20080901 and so on.Is there any command for this. Please help me. thanks rameez (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing a variable is not happening

Hi All, Iam trying to increment a variable Following is the code #!/usr/bin/ksh i=1; i='expr $i+1'; echo $i; Output: expr $i+1 not able to understand why its happening in that way i was expecting result as 2... if the above method is worng .. can you help how i can get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranlalka
3 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Incrementing Variable resets outside of while loop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Variable is resetting to 0 after incrementing in while loop My bit of scripting displays the current users logged in the machine. Then it reads in a specific username and displays the processes for that user. The portion that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratzlaff
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem in incrementing the variable

When I did, echo $SHELL in cmd prompt of putty, its displaying /bin/sh And in my shell script., I hav started with., #!/bin/sh and i=1; while ; do . . . i=$; (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing Variable Names

Hi, I am using BASH. I have encountered a situation where the following is necessary (but I am not sure how to do it): #Define multiple arrays, whose names only differ by a number: ARRAY_1=(1 2 3) ARRAY_2=(4 5 6) ARRAY_3=(7 8 9) #Define ARRAY_AMOUNT, the number of arrays. In this case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing variable in for

Hi, want to increment a variable in a for loop like this: for (( c=$total-1; c>=0; c-- )) do if ; then maximo=$valores fi done But it gives the error: No such file or directory How can i do this only incrementing the c variable? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting variable space width data into CSV data in bash

Hi All, I was wondering how I can convert each line in an input file where fields are separated by variable width spaces into a CSV file. Below is the scenario what I am looking for. My Input data in inputfile.txt 19 15657 15685 Sr2dReader 107.88 105.51... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vharsha
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with incrementing data in some field

Hi I have the below set of lines , i need to duplicate these lines 1000 times, also eevrytime when it is incremented , it should increment the one in Blue color. 130400030000010000200001 130400030000010000200002 140050030000010000200005A eg: 130400030000010000200001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshks
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing specific and incrementing lines of text from file via variable

This is part of a larger script where I need to pass only 1 line of a file to the script, based on a variable and not a direct reference. As part of a for loop : # for((line=0;line<50;line++)); do # awk ‘NR==$line' PhraseList.txt; done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
5 Replies
TIMECOUNTERS(4) 					   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					   TIMECOUNTERS(4)

NAME
timecounters -- kernel time counters subsystem SYNOPSIS
The kernel uses several types of time-related devices, such as: real time clocks, time counters and event timers. Real time clocks are responsible for tracking real world time, mostly when the system is down. Time counters are responsible for tracking purposes, when the sys- tem is running. Event timers are responsible for generating interrupts at a specified time or periodically, to run different time-based events. This page is about the second. DESCRIPTION
Time counters are the lowest level of time tracking in the kernel. They provide monotonically increasing timestamps with known width and update frequency. They can overflow, drift, etc and so in raw form can be used only in very limited performance-critical places like the process scheduler. More usable time is created by scaling the values read from the selected time counter and combining it with some offset, regularly updated by tc_windup() on hardclock() invocation. Different platforms provide different kinds of timer hardware. The goal of the time counters subsystem is to provide a unified way to access that hardware. Each driver implementing time counters registers them with the subsystem. It is possible to see the list of present time counters, via the kern.timecounter sysctl(8) variable: kern.timecounter.choice: TSC-low(-100) HPET(950) i8254(0) ACPI-fast(900) dummy(-1000000) kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.mask: 16777215 kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.counter: 13467909 kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.frequency: 3579545 kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.quality: 900 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.mask: 65535 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.counter: 62692 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.frequency: 1193182 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.quality: 0 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.mask: 4294967295 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.counter: 3013495652 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.frequency: 14318180 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.quality: 950 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.mask: 4294967295 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.counter: 4067509463 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.frequency: 11458556 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.quality: -100 The output nodes are defined as follows: kern.timecounter.tc.X.mask is a bitmask, defining valid counter bits, kern.timecounter.tc.X.counter is a present counter value, kern.timecounter.tc.X.frequency is a counter update frequency, kern.timecounter.tc.X.quality is an integral value, defining the quality of this time counter compared to others. A negative value means this time counter is broken and should not be used. The time management code of the kernel chooses one time counter from that list. The current choice can be read and affected via the kern.timecounter.hardware tunable/sysctl. SEE ALSO
attimer(4), eventtimers(4), ffclock(4), hpet(4) BSD
April 12, 2014 BSD