Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Can we specify which grub.conf to use in grub-install. Post 302583100 by mark54g on Monday 19th of December 2011 02:26:01 PM
Old 12-19-2011
first off, it will likely be better to use menu.lst (redhat went wonky and named theirs grub.conf but it is usually a link back to menu.lst Redhat reversed that).

Also, why not just create different entries in your grub.conf/menu.lst for each option?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grub problem- keeps rebooting as soon as it tries to do grub

Hi, I installed solaris 10 a few weeks ago. It was working fine during the past two weeks. However, now when I start to load to the drive, I get this problem: The BIOS screen comes up like normal, then screen goes blank and a message "Grub loading stage 2" flashes real quick then the computer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

2. Linux

Grub.Conf

Hi, During the Initial startup of the Linux machine. Grub.conf has a entry to mount the root partition as read only after the initialistation of the Kernel. Is there any specific reason for this or the root partition can be made to mounted with read write options. Regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

grub.conf

i have installed rhel5 quite many times....... when i see grub.conf after installation, somtimes "kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet" will be there or "kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet" will be there................ what is the significance of label=/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar_md
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

How to install grub on an Empty HDD?

I wanna install grub/grub2 on my empty hard disk drive. For that I boot my machine from ubuntu 10.04 Live OS and tried to install it but failed. So what to do now ? Also I think some toolset , if I want to boot the vanilla Linux kernel (please suggest me the link for that) , So after... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarsh
8 Replies

5. SCO

Install GRUB on SCO Unixware 7.1.1

Hi, I am trying to install the linux boot loader (GRUB) on a non-linux machine (Unixware 7.1.1). The thing is I want to boot the linux kernel (vmlinuz) and the linux ram disk (initrd.img) from unixware and boot the machine with it. Does anyone have a good way to do this? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teen_racer19
10 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

How to install grub on USB flash drive?

I wanna install grub on my flash drive for rescue usage. My computer installs winxp, and I have fedora12 installed in vmware. I did like this: step1: format the flash drive as FAT in winXP. step2: in fedora12, mount the flash drive on /media/flash step3: excute the command: grub-install... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/boot/grub/grub.conf" VS "/etc/grub.conf"

can someone please explain me the difference between these two files: "/boot/grub/grub.conf" and "/etc/grub.conf" .. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Restore grub.conf file

Hi guys, I will truly appreciate your help with this issue. If you do not have a backup copy of your grub.conf file, and for some reason the file got damaged or missing, how will you go about restoring it? Thanks for your kind assistance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Grub.conf kernel field boot messages verbosity configuration

I am trying to understand what are the differences of boot messages verbosity levels for the kernel field in grub.conf From my research, there appear to be three levels: quiet verbose debug I have also found documents that specify removing quiet from the kernel field. If this is done, is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thaebich
1 Replies

10. Debian

Cannot install GRUB

Hello, I cannot install grub to my ESP it seems. I have a PC with both Windows 8.1 and Debian installed and I can only boot into Windows since GRUB is not installed on my PC. I am using a Ubuntu Live USB to install GRUB on /dev/sda1 (my ESP). I am using the following commands from Ubuntu... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
12 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. The grub source distribution carries this script to ease the installation of grub as a boot loader. In Suse Linux however, grub installa- tion is much better handled by Yast; use of this script is generally discouraged and therefore unsupported. Consequently, the script has been renamed to grub-install.unsupported. In order to (re-)install grub for the currently running system, simply use Yast. For an installation aiming at a differing system, the crafting of an appropriate device.map and grub shell script is strongly advised, e.g. "grub --batch --device-map=target-device.map < tar- get-grub.conf" SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) May 2005 GRUB-INSTALL(8)