Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple maths calculator loop. Post 302583054 by agama on Monday 19th of December 2011 12:21:36 PM
Old 12-19-2011
Here are a couple of examples that should illustrate enough to get you going. You should be able to figure out how to 'plug' your code into a loop like one of these:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

# simple loop examples
# this will work in both bash and kshell
buf="x"                         # seed to enter loop
while [[ -n $buf  ]]            # until they enter an empty buffer
do
    printf "enter a string or nothing to quit: "        # prompt
    read buf
    if [[ -n $buf ]]
    then
        printf "${buf//[aeiou]/}\n"                     # do something with valid input
    fi
done

# this illustrates a different technique, the prompt will only work in kshell
# the two command prompting mechanism from the previous example can 
# be substituted for portability. 
while true          # forever
do
    read buf?"enter a string or nothing to quit: "  # prompt and read user input
    if [[ -z $buf  ]]        # also (silently) support end of file
    then
        printf "\n"         # if they used ^D ensure prompt is on next line
        exit 0
    fi

printf "${buf//[aeiou]/}\n"     # do something with user input and print
done                # loop for more

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Maths

Heres a script i wrote as a bit of practise. What it does is insert a line in the middle of a file. The line being $1 and the file being $2 #!/bin/bash rm tempfile touch tempfile count=1 linenum= `wc -l < $2` if then echo $1 >> $2 else even=`expr "$linenum" % 2` if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quesa
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

a simple while loop

Hallo everyone I might just be being dumb, but I am using the BASH shell and cannot get the following script to work: x=0 while do echo $x x=´echo "$x + 1" | bc´ done Can anybody help me out. I am just get a repeating output saying: bc: command not found 0 + 1: command not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: syno
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop

i have the following process running in background: when i give "ps -lef" ------------------------------------------------------------------------ user2 user1 user1 user3 user1 user4 user5 user4 user3 user4 user2 user1 user1 user3 user1 user4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple using For loop

Hi expert, I'm using csh Code: #!/bin/csh set x = 0 set number = `awk '{array=$0} END {print array;}'` i want to use for loop to store data to $number repeatly untill x = 23 How to use c shell for loop? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincyoxy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple loop

I need to chmod a bunch of files with a specific extension in one directory. If I understand correctly first I would run ls command like this ls -R | grep .mp3 > /tmp/list once I have the output file I should be able to run a loop to chmod all the files in the list created. This is where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugenes18t
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maths with variables

Hello, I'm trying to write a while loop for a decimal value in tcsh which I know can't be done. Instead I want my increments to be one order of magnitude too large and then divide it by 10 when I use the variable. However, I don't know how to divide my variable and set it as another. set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DFr0st
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

a simple loop

Does any body can help me with a loop in this example? if then if then runner=$(grep "$1" "$2") runne=$(grep "$1" "$3") run=$(grep "$1" "$4") fi fi # # Message on screen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartsimpsong
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple calculator with menu input - Need Help

I am trying to make a calculator. The user Enters number 1, chooses and operation, enters number 2, then chooses another operation or for the answer to be displayed. eg. 1 + 1 = or 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 = Both of these should be possible. #!/bin/bash read -p "what's the first number? " n1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redshine6
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simple Calculator

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known/data: Script a simple calculator. In the command line enter the script file /home/etc/mycalc or /home/etc/mycalc 1 +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: herb bertz
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Scientific calculator for ADE, the UNIX environment for the AMIGA A1200(HD).

ADE is a UNIX environment for the ancient AMIGA A1200. By default this does NOT have the 'bc' command line calculator. Although I did a DEMO code to create a C source and compile it under python 1.4.0 and ADE using ksh88 and the gcc of the day, I decided to create this baby that requires no Python... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
ui_compat(3)							      OpenSSL							      ui_compat(3)

NAME
des_read_password, des_read_2passwords, des_read_pw_string, des_read_pw - Compatibility user interface functions SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/des_old.h> int des_read_password(DES_cblock *key,const char *prompt,int verify); int des_read_2passwords(DES_cblock *key1,DES_cblock *key2, const char *prompt,int verify); int des_read_pw_string(char *buf,int length,const char *prompt,int verify); int des_read_pw(char *buf,char *buff,int size,const char *prompt,int verify); DESCRIPTION
The DES library contained a few routines to prompt for passwords. These aren't necessarely dependent on DES, and have therefore become part of the UI compatibility library. des_read_pw() writes the string specified by prompt to standard output turns echo off and reads an input string from the terminal. The string is returned in buf, which must have spac for at least size bytes. If verify is set, the user is asked for the password twice and unless the two copies match, an error is returned. The second password is stored in buff, which must therefore also be at least size bytes. A return code of -1 indicates a system error, 1 failure due to use interaction, and 0 is success. All other functions described here use des_read_pw() to do the work. des_read_pw_string() is a variant of des_read_pw() that provides a buffer for you if verify is set. des_read_password() calls des_read_pw() and converts the password to a DES key by calling DES_string_to_key(); des_read_2password() operates in the same way as des_read_password() except that it generates two keys by using the DES_string_to_2key() function. NOTES
des_read_pw_string() is available in the MIT Kerberos library as well, and is also available under the name EVP_read_pw_string(). SEE ALSO
ui(3), ui_create(3) AUTHOR
Richard Levitte (richard@levitte.org) for the OpenSSL project (http://www.openssl.org). 1.0.1e 2013-02-11 ui_compat(3)