Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to access argv[x] from another function other than main??? Post 302582867 by gabam on Monday 19th of December 2011 12:17:13 AM
Old 12-19-2011
How to access argv[x] from another function other than main???

Hi friends,
when I am passing arguments to main, I want another function to be able to have access to that function, the problem is that I am creating athread, which has a function like void *xyz(void *), how can pass the refernce of argv[x] to this function, if you see my program, you will better see the problem, so here it is!

Code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <pthread.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        void *thread1(void *);
        void *thread2(void *);
        if(argc != 2)
        {
        printf("Invalid no. of arguments!\n");
        exit(-1);
        }
        else
        {
        pthread_t tid1;
        pthread_t tid2;
        int t1 = 1;
        int t2 = 2;
        pthread_attr_t attr1;
        pthread_attr_t attr2;
        pthread_attr_init(&attr1);
        pthread_attr_init(&attr2);
        {
        pthread_create(&tid1,&attr1,thread1,(void *)t1);
        pthread_create(&tid2,&attr2,thread2,(void *)t2);
        }
        {
        pthread_join(tid1,NULL);
        pthread_join(tid2,NULL);
        }
        printf("\nThreads finished!\n");
        }
        return 0;
}
void *thread1(void *n)
{
        while(1)
        {
        printf("%s\n\n",argv[1]);
        sleep(1);
        }
        pthread_exit(0);
}
void *thread2(void *n)
{
        while(1)
        {
        printf("%s\n\n",argv[2]);
        sleep(1);
        }
        pthread_exit(0);
}

I this program the two thread functions don't have access to arv, what should I do???

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

c++ calling main() function

i just finished a project for a c++ class that i wrote at home on my computer, compiled with gcc. when i brought the code into school it would not compile, it would complain that cannot call main() function. at school we use ancient borland c++ from 1995. anyway my program has 20 different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
3 Replies

2. Programming

main function

Is it possible to execute any function before main() function in C or C++. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
6 Replies

3. Programming

signal handling while in a function other than main

Hi, I have a main loop which calls a sub loop, which finally returns to the main loop itself. The main loop runs when a flag is set. Now, I have a signal handler for SIGINT, which resets the flag and thus stops the main loop. Suppose I send SIGINT while the program is in subloop, I get an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Theju
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in separating variables declared in the main function

Hi! I've a C program as shown below.. The line numbers and the statements of the program are separated by a space.. 1 #include<stdio.h> 2 char a,b,c; 3 float x,y,z; 4 int main() 5 { 6 int d,e,f; 7 // further declarations 8 // further declarations 9 /* body*/ 10 } 11 void fun1() 12... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abk07
1 Replies

5. Programming

unable to send a char parameter from main to a function

why does this not work? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> char getFileMode(char charChanger) { char filetype; /*var to hold the value to be returned*/ filetype = charSetter; /*set filetype to "l" if it is a symlink*/ return filetype; } int main(void){ char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
8 Replies

6. Programming

Function main returning int?

H friends, As we know, a function returns a value and that value is saved somwhere. like int Sum( int x, int y ) { return x + y; } Total = Sum( 10, 20 ); The value 30 is saved in variable Total. Now the question is, what int value does the function main return, and where is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

O argv, argv, wherefore art thou argv?

All of my machines (various open source derivatives on x86 and amd64) store argv above the stack (at a higher memory address). I am curious to learn if any systems store argv below the stack (at a lower memory address). I am particularly interested in proprietary Unices, such as Solaris, HP-UX,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alister
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[ksh93+] Array fed by function is empty when used in main.

I feel that i am missing something obvious but i can't find what is wrong. I have a script that is launching some functions with "&" and each call is feeding the array with a value. When all calls are finished I just want to retrieve the values of that array. It is looking like that : ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibou25
5 Replies

9. Programming

A single statement without main function in c

A sample.c file is written with only one single statement. main; Segmentation fault occurred when executed that file. Any statement other than main; is written, for example unix; then it won't compile. why is this behaviour ! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmonk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A function that refuses to run anywhere else but main()

Hi. I have some code, that for some reason, I could not post it here in this post. Here's the address for it: #if 0 shc Version 4.0.1, Generic Shell Script Compiler GNU GPL Version 3 Md - Pastebin.com First off, I used "shc" to convert the code from shell script to C. And The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
6 Replies
PTHREAD_SETNAME_NP(3)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					     PTHREAD_SETNAME_NP(3)

NAME
pthread_setname_np, pthread_getname_np - set/get the name of a thread SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <pthread.h> int pthread_setname_np(pthread_t thread, const char *name); int pthread_getname_np(pthread_t thread, const char *name, size_t len); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
By default, all the threads created using pthread_create() inherit the program name. The pthread_setname_np() function can be used to set a unique name for a thread, which can be useful for debugging multithreaded applications. The thread name is a meaningful C language string, whose length is restricted to 16 characters, including the terminating null byte (''). The thread argument specifies the thread whose name is to be changed; name specifies the new name. The pthread_getname_np() function can be used to retrieve the name of the thread. The thread argument specifies the thread whose name is to be retrieved. The buffer name is used to return the thread name; len specifies the number of bytes available in name. The buffer spec- ified by name should be at least 16 characters in length. The returned thread name in the output buffer will be null terminated. RETURN VALUE
On success, these functions return 0; on error, they return a nonzero error number. ERRORS
The pthread_setname_np() function can fail with the following error: ERANGE The length of the string specified pointed to by name exceeds the allowed limit. The pthread_getname_np() function can fail with the following error: ERANGE The buffer specified by name and len is too small to hold the thread name. If either of these functions fails to open /proc/self/task/[tid]/comm, then the call may fail with one of the errors described in open(2). VERSIONS
These functions first appeared in glibc in version 2.12. CONFORMING TO
These functions are nonstandard GNU extensions. NOTES
pthread_setname_np() internally writes to the thread specific comm file under /proc filesystem: /proc/self/task/[tid]/comm. pthread_get- name_np() retrieves it from the same location. EXAMPLE
The program below demonstrates the use of pthread_setname_np() and pthread_getname_np(). The following shell session shows a sample run of the program: $ ./a.out Created a thread. Default name is: a.out The thread name after setting it is THREADFOO. ^Z # Suspend the program [1]+ Stopped ./a.out $ ps H -C a.out -o 'pid tid cmd comm' PID TID CMD COMMAND 5990 5990 ./a.out a.out 5990 5991 ./a.out THREADFOO $ cat /proc/5990/task/5990/comm a.out $ cat /proc/5990/task/5991/comm THREADFOO Program source #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <stdlib.h> #define NAMELEN 16 #define errExitEN(en, msg) do { errno = en; perror(msg); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } while (0) static void * threadfunc(void *parm) { sleep(5); // allow main program to set the thread name return NULL; } int main(int argc, char **argv) { pthread_t thread; int rc; char thread_name[NAMELEN]; rc = pthread_create(&thread, NULL, threadfunc, NULL); if (rc != 0) errExitEN(rc, "pthread_create"); rc = pthread_getname_np(thread, thread_name, NAMELEN); if (rc != 0) errExitEN(rc, "pthread_getname_np"); printf("Created a thread. Default name is: %s ", thread_name); rc = pthread_setname_np(thread, (argc > 1) ? argv[1] : "THREADFOO"); if (rc != 0) errExitEN(rc, "pthread_setname_np"); sleep(2); rc = pthread_getname_np(thread, thread_name, (argc > 2) ? atoi(argv[1]) : NAMELEN); if (rc != 0) errExitEN(rc, "pthread_getname_np"); printf("The thread name after setting it is %s. ", thread_name); rc = pthread_join(thread, NULL); if (rc != 0) errExitEN(rc, "pthread_join"); printf("Done "); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
prctl(2), pthread_create(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-06-21 PTHREAD_SETNAME_NP(3)