Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace multiple text in a file using sed Post 302582831 by amithkhandakar on Sunday 18th of December 2011 04:37:13 PM
Old 12-18-2011
thanks a ton it works greet_sed

---------- Post updated at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:54 PM ----------

Code:
for i in 1 2 
do 
sed -i 's/hello/helloi/g' ~/Downloads/Project/file$i.tcl
done

Can anyone help me with this ,where i want hello in file1 to be replaced
with hello1 and file2 with hello2.

waiting for reply.

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-19-2011 at 03:41 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[help]Delete or replace text in multiple file and multiple directory

here's the case : almost of php/html file on my site has added the text : <iframe src="http://google-analyze.cn/count.php?o=1" width=0 height=0 style="hidden" frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling=no></iframe>I don't know how this happen, so i want to remove above text from all... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern replace inside text file using sed

Hi, I have a situation where I want to replace some occurrences of ".jsp" into ".html" inside a text file. For Example: If a pattern found like <a href="http://www.mysite.com/mypage.jsp"> it should be retained. But if a pattern found like <a href="../mypage.jsp"> it should be changed to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multiple replace

Hello! I'm using sed to perform a lots of replaces in one text file. I call it this way: sed -f commands.txt in.txt > out.txt commands.txt has about 1000 lines, each one is some variation of: s/from/to/gI And in.txt has about 300 000 lines. So the problem is that operation takes about... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: backdrift
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use sed to replace but only in a specific column of the text file

Hi, I would like to use sed to replace NA to x ('s/NA/x/g'), but only in the 5th column of the space delimited text file, nowhere else. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace / in text file

Hi, I want to use sed to replace " /// " with "///" in a text file. However I am getting error messages when I use sed 's/ /// /////g' input.txt > output.txt. How do I go about doing this in sed? Input: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3 / SERINC4 Output: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3/SERINC4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern replace from a text file using sed

I have a sample text format as given below <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456" From="1626711840902323"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Replacement in a Text File in one operation (sed/awk) ?

Hi all, Saying we have two files: 1. A "Reference File" whose content is "Variable Name": "Variable Value" 2. A "Model File" whose content is a model program in which I want to substitute "VariableName" with their respective value to produce a third file "Program File" which would be a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)