Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) fetchmail and postfix mail setup on Snow Leopard - request for guidance Post 302582787 by butterbaerchen on Sunday 18th of December 2011 08:39:59 AM
Old 12-18-2011
fetchmail and postfix mail setup on Snow Leopard - request for guidance

Howdy, I hope it is ok to post this here.
I would like to do all my POP3 email with fetchmail, postfix and emacs. On Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - this is not urgent and I really want to do it in one of the right ways.

Code:
This is fetchmail release 6.3.11+GSS+SSL+KRB5.
postconf mail_version = 2.5.14
GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.35)

USER = machine user
user = email user

My fetchmailrc
Code:
#### .fetchmailrc

set postmaster "USER"
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set logfile /Users/USER/fetchmail.log
poll domainmailserver proto pop3:
user "user@domain", with password "XXX", is "USER" here smtpname user@domain;
sslcertck
sslcertpath /Users/USER/.certs
ssl
fetchall
no keep
no rewrite
sslfingerprint "XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX"

Downloaded the Cert file from host and renamed it .pem and did
Code:
c_rehash .certs

works - fetchmail gets the mail.

I downloaded a mail that way to test it, and its sitting in:

Code:
/var/spool/postfix/deferred/7
filename: 7AEA321433F

I have had a mail setup with fetchmail, mutt and exim on a thinkpad running debian, but I still do not really understand how it works - following instructions, but not fully understanding how the mail is handled on my machine.

here is a log entry on running postfix:

Code:
18/12/11 1:23:06 PM	sudo[270]	USER : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/USER ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/postfix start
18/12/11 1:23:07 PM	postfix/postfix-script[315]	starting the Postfix mail system
18/12/11 1:23:07 PM	postfix/master[316]	daemon started -- version 2.5.14, configuration /etc/postfix
18/12/11 1:23:07 PM	postfix/qmgr[318]	7AEA321433F: from=<info@domain>, size=2887, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
18/12/11 1:23:09 PM	postfix/smtp[320]	connect to mailserver[000.000.000.000]:25: Connection refused
18/12/11 1:23:09 PM	postfix/smtp[320]	connect to mailserver[000.000.000.000]:25: Connection refused
18/12/11 1:23:09 PM	postfix/smtp[320]	7AEA321433F:
to=<user@domain>, relay=none, delay=320,
delays=318/0.12/2.3/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mailserver[000.000.000.000]:25: Connection
refused) 
18/12/11 1:24:37 PM	sudo[326]	USER : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/USER ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/postfix stop
18/12/11 1:24:37 PM	postfix/postfix-script[328]	stopping the Postfix
mail system

... why is postfix knocking on my mailservers door - I thought fetchmail got that job?

I have a Mail folder in my home directory. I assume that the mail
arrives / gets written in mbox format. I assume that postfix is my MTA
and that it should put my email into a system mailbox belonging to
USER ? Or maybe directly into my homefolder mailbox ?

How do I get my mail into my Mail Folder? (and how did the testmail get into the 'deferred' folder?)
thank you all in advance for pointing out and directing me. I promise to write a complete HOWTO on setting this up when I understand it, with your help. peace Smilie

... later - I have read half the night and edited the /etc/postfix/main.cf file followed instructions and added the server ca.crt, tls, and so on. It kinda works - I can:
Code:
echo testmail | mail someone@domain

and the mail actually arrives.
postfix still said it could not verify the certificate so I changed tls_security to 'encrypt' for now. I have
Code:
home_mailbox = Mailbox

in the main.cf file and its a file now - started with a directory.
But sending mail to myself now fails - postfix takes my user before the @ and says 'user' unknown (which is true of course) and bounces the mail back. I think I have to map names and aliases ...
Code:
postfix/local[760]: warning: required alias not found: postmaster

... well, I asked for this - full acceptance, no guitars.

Last edited by butterbaerchen; 12-18-2011 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: add text

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

MacPorts on Snow Leopard

Hello everyone. I was previously using MacPorts 1.8 on Mac OS 10.5.8 without any problems and everything was working well. I recently upgraded to Xcode 3.2 and Mac OS 10.6, since then my MacPorts installation has not been working at all. I deleted it and then reinstalled the .dmg from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HoldenCaulfield
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Alpine 2 on Snow Leopard

I've just installed Alpine on Snow Leopard but can't seem to get a default spell checker configured for it. What happened to spell? I can't find it at all on 10.6, must have been some changes. Does anyone know about the default unix spell checker on SL? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: platz
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Installing Oracle 10g on Snow Leopard using this tutorial

This tutorial. Which is a lovely tutorial, really, and was working up until this instruction: Now download db.zip installation archive and place it somewhere and unzip it: mkdir Install cd Install # download db.zip to this directory unzip db.zip cd db/Disk1 I didn't know how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khayraB
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Problem with mail attachment in Snow Leopard

Hi, We have few scripts that are run through jobs . It sends us daily reports (using mailx). This was working fine in Leopard. But in Snow Leopard there is problem with the attachments.Neither the attachment name is being displayed correctly(all it displays is "Mail Attachment") nor the format... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adash
1 Replies