Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alphabet and numeric values repeat again and again on HDD/Linux-Ubuntu Post 302582733 by totalrecallz on Saturday 17th of December 2011 04:43:45 PM
Old 12-17-2011
Network Alphabet and numeric values repeat again and again on HDD/Linux-Ubuntu

My system is Linux, Ubuntu. I examine my hard disk drive with a hex editor, it's unencrypted, and when I scroll down, using page down in the ASCII section at right showing the alphanumeric and symbols information, the letters of the alphabet repeat from A-Z along with numbers repeating, followed by some gibberish, a long space of nothing, and more alphabet A-Z and numerical repetition, why is this there it appears like some type of filler why is it there whenever I make a Linux install its there, for what purpose does someone know? Is it a rootkit or trojan? It feels like forever using page down and witnessing all of the repeats of gibberish, alphanumeric information. Googling didn't help me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out non-numeric values in a list

hi all, i'm very new to scripting and have the folllowing issue. I have used a few commands to get a list of numbers, but I need to strip away the non-numeric ones, and then need a total of all values. any ideas? root@unixserver # cat myfile | awk '{print $8}'| sort -rn 1504 1344 896 704... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove non numeric values from a variable

Hello all, I am working on a basic script but need a little help. Issue: I am running a SQL Query using sqlplus and a shell script. I have the output of the statement stored as variable $A. $A is set to "other text here 45678754 other text here". I need to strip all text except that numeric... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownedthawte
13 Replies

3. Programming

numeric values ending in 'U'

I am getting back on the C++ programming after many years away. I recently received an SDK that has code like this where numeric values end in 'U'. What does this mean? if ((ptr % 16U) == 0U) return buffer; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sneakyimp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file contains only numeric values

How to check if the file contains only numeric values. I don't want to read entire file it eats lot of cpu Or any way which consumes less memory n cpu.. Please suggest -S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to grep only particular length of numeric values

hi i have two types of file 1. temp.0000000001.data (10 digit numeric) 2. temp.000000001.data (9 digit numeric) i want to search a file which is having 10 digit numeric in between the file name. i use command like this.. ls | grep temp.^*.data but this will give both the files as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: somi2yoga
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

calculate logical layout values for hdd

Please advice me how to calculate logical layout values in hdd from below table. Physical Layout ----------------- Bytes per Sector : 512 Sectors per Track : 480-1272 Number of Heads : 4 Number of Disks : 2 Logical Layout --------------- Number of Heads : 16 Number of Sectors /... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
9 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Can't successfully clone an HDD in Ubuntu, please help

Hi guys, I am total newbie to Linux / Ubuntu but trying it to solve the problem I have. I have an OKI printer with bad HDD and trying to clone one from the same HDD from working printer. Board it goes on has a Fiery chipset and system used is Linux based / related - to the best of my knowlege. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unlimitedbt
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Only print lines with 3 numeric values

Hey guys & gals, I am hoping for some advice on a sed or awk command that will allow to only print lines from a file that contain 3 numeric values. From previous searches here I saw that ygemici used the sed command to remove lines containing more than 3 numeric values ; however how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning numeric values to variable

I have a code like this v_num=9 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" I am getting an error ksh: v_num=99 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort by second column numeric values

From googling and reading man pages I figured out this sorts the first column by numeric values. sort -g -k 1,1 Why does the -n option not work? The man pages were a bit confusing. And what if I want to sort the second column numerically? I haven't been able to figure that out. The file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)