Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Info regarding mknod -p
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Info regarding mknod -p Post 302582607 by Corona688 on Friday 16th of December 2011 01:05:21 PM
Old 12-16-2011
actually, it has no -p option. it has a p type, like
Code:
mknod fifo-file p

where can you use it in real time? any UNIX system.

What are they used for? Bridging together programs which are difficult to use anonymous pipes with. To get an anonymous pipe you have to be a child process of whatever created it, but named pipes can be opened by any arbitrary process, child or not.

They're also used to make dynamic things which act like files, so when something tries to read what used to be a config file or somesuch they get dynamically-generated output from a program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mknod

Can someone please tell me what the command mknod does and what it's syntax is? I can't find it in my "Unix for dummies" book or "Unix in s nutshell". I found it in an existing script that I want to copy, but I want to understand what I am doing. The script is going to do a full export of an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bemeeks
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SU info

from the man page of su: EXAMPLES Example 1: Becoming User bin While Retaining Your Previously Exported Environment To become user bin while retaining your previously exported environment, execute: example% su bin Example 2: Becoming User bin and ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afflack
4 Replies

3. Programming

mknod system call to clone /dev/null

I'm trying to use the "mknod" call in C to create a clone of /dev/null. I am stumped as to the final parameter I should provide to "mknod()". I am supposed to give it a type dev_t, which specifies a major & minor number. I want to specify major 3, minor 1, but how can I do this? dev_t seems to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathan
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

How get more LUN info

Hello, I'm trying to help a guy out on a VMWARE server, running what looks like a cut down version of redhat? 2.4.9-vmnix2 ... Bascially the box serves vm clients via allocating a LUN from a SAN.. to cut a long story short, I need to find out which SAN the luns are comming from (could be 1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Info

Hi, I'm a oracle DBA with little knowledge of Unix. I wanted to write some shell scripts which will be helpful for DBA's regular activity. As i'm a new to oracle with unix can any plese tell me what are all the activities can be done throgh Unix Shell Scripts also suggest me how to learn... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msgobinathan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Help:NFS mknod failed

this is existing issue for this nfs client, which mounts windows exported file system, and this is only one UNIX box has this problem, other boxes are fine. Here is from messages file. Jan 24 03:11:10 venus nfs: NFS mknod failed for server arc: error 2 (RPC: Can't decode result) Jan... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: steeles
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some Info.

Hiya all ... i am a newbie to UNIX, Just want to knwo what this command does: /sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr:' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' I think, 'grep shows the line with 'inet addr' (which is the 2nd line, displaying the IP Address, Broadcast Address and Subnet Mask) ... Is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad4m88
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

Mknod

Hey guys i dont quite understand mknod, can anyone explain it to me and what is its purpose in LVM. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbn
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting LV Info

I have this working ksh, and it returns like below: LOGICAL VOLUME: prod_2048_005 VOLUME GROUP: prod1vg TYPE: raw WRITE VERIFY: off PHYSICAL VOLUME: hdisk108 VOLUME GROUP: prod1vg TOTAL PPs: 1023 (130944 megabytes) VG DESCRIPTORS: 1 USED PPs: 904 (115712 megabytes) MAX REQUEST: 1 megabyte... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

10. AIX

What is mknod file present in /etc folder in AIX server used for ?

Hi Guys, On my AIX server , I have this file "mknod" present in the /etc/ directory. When i try opening it , I dont find any ascii characters. It shows some encryption/binary format which is not readable. Is it any executable ? what is the purpose of having this file in etc folder? what if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBTuner
2 Replies
mknod(1M)																 mknod(1M)

NAME
mknod - create special files SYNOPSIS
name major minor name major minor name DESCRIPTION
The command creates the following types of files: o Character device special file (first form), o Block device special file (second form), o FIFO file, sometimes called a named pipe (third form). name is the path name of the file to be created. The newly created file has a default mode that is readable and writable by all users(0666), but the mode is modified by the current setting of the user's file mode creation mask (see umask(1)). Character and Block Special Files Character device special files are used for devices that can transfer single bytes at a time, such as nine-track magnetic tape drives, printers, plotters, disk drives operating in "raw" mode, and terminals. To create a character special file, use the argument. Block device special files are used for devices that usually transfer a block of data at a time, such as disk drives. To create a block device special file, use the argument. The remaining arguments specify the device that will be accessible through the new special file: major The major number specifies the major device type (for example, the device driver number). minor The minor number specifies the device location, which is typically, but not always, the unit, drive, and/or line number. The major and minor values can each be specified in hexadecimal, octal, or decimal, using C language conventions (decimal: no leading zero; octal: leading zero; hexadecimal: leading The assignment of major and minor device numbers is specific to each HP-UX system. Refer to the System Administrator manuals supplied with your system for details. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use to create a character or block device special file. FIFO files To create a FIFO (named pipe or buffer) file, use the argument. You can also use the command for this purpose (see mkfifo(1)). All users can use to create FIFO files. WARNINGS
Access Control Lists In HFS file systems, optional ACL entries can be added to special files and FIFOs with the command (see chacl(1)). In JFS file systems, optional ACL entries can be added to special files and FIFOs with the command (see setacl(1)). However, system programs are likely to silently change or eliminate the optional ACL entries for these files. SEE ALSO
chacl(1), mkdir(1), mkfifo(1), setacl(1), umask(1), lsdev(1M), sam(1M), mknod(2), acl(5), aclv(5), mknod(5). HP-UX System Administrator manuals STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mknod: SVID2, SVID3, XPG2 mknod(1M)