Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to sleep and wake a thread??? Post 302582575 by pflynn on Friday 16th of December 2011 11:24:53 AM
Old 12-16-2011
Looks like you have a typical synchronization problem. One such you would like to use conditional variables to solve. Have a look at pthread_cond_wait, pthread_cond_signal, mutexes and related stuff.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wake on Lan script

Im old to Unix but new to scripting I have a MacBook running osx that I want to use as an nfs client. The server will be a linux box with a wake on lan card. Here's the idea. Run a cron command on the mac every minute that checks if I am on my home wireless network (the linux box is wired to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anon0mus
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wake on LAN script

m old to Unix but new to scripting I have a MacBook running osx that I want to use as an nfs client. The server will be a linux box with a wake on lan card. Here's the idea. Run a cron command on the mac every minute that checks if I am on my home wireless network (the linux box is wired to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anon0mus
6 Replies

3. Programming

how to wake up a thread that blocking at epoll_wait?

I have two threads: one maintains a thread-safe message queue (handle this queue at the beginning of every loop) and deals with tcp connections, the other one posts message to the former one. the problem is, while the former one was blocking at epoll_wait, it's not sure that how long until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cometeor
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wake up user space thread from kernel space ISR

Hello, I'm searching for a proper way to let the kernel space ISR(implemented in a kernel module) wake up a user space thread on a hardware interrupt. Except for sending a real-time signal, is it possible to use a semaphore? I've searched it on google, but it seems impossible to share a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping 'sleep' with my 'resleep' function (Resettable sleep)

This is a very crude attempt in Bash at something that I needed but didn't seem to find in the 'sleep' command. However, I would like to be able to do it without the need for the temp file. Please go easy on me if this is already possible in some other way: How many times have you used the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Device Driver: how can an ISR wake up a user-thread?

Hi all, Is it possible to do the following in Linux (kernel 2.6.x): - A user-space thread goes to "sleep". Using any call/mechanism - On a hardware generated interrupt, the Interrupt handler (ISR) "wakes" the sleeping user-thread. I have seen wait_event() and wake_up() but it appears... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Computer wake commands

I'm a OS X user (MacBook Pro, OS X Lion) and I need it to wake up on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 9:00 AM on the rest of the days of the week at 7:00 I issue the following commands: sudo pmset repeat wake MWRS 09:00:00 for the former sudo pmset repeat wake TFU... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
1 Replies
SLEEP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  SLEEP(3)

NAME
sleep - sleep for the specified number of seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
sleep() makes the calling thread sleep until seconds seconds have elapsed or a signal arrives which is not ignored. RETURN VALUE
Zero if the requested time has elapsed, or the number of seconds left to sleep, if the call was interrupted by a signal handler. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. BUGS
sleep() may be implemented using SIGALRM; mixing calls to alarm(2) and sleep() is a bad idea. Using longjmp(3) from a signal handler or modifying the handling of SIGALRM while sleeping will cause undefined results. SEE ALSO
alarm(2), nanosleep(2), signal(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-02-03 SLEEP(3)