Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spaced input causing awk error Post 302582503 by balajesuri on Friday 16th of December 2011 08:00:05 AM
Old 12-16-2011
Code:
[root@hostname ~]# grep "root" /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
[root@hostname ~]# username=root
[root@hostname ~]# awk -v val=$username -F: '$1==val{print $3}' /etc/passwd

Works for me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Explorer causing syslog error

Hi there, I have upgraded my explorer (SUNWexplo) on a solaris 10 Sparc box from version 3.4 to the latest version (5.5) . However im a little concerned, whenever I run the new explorer either manually or scheduled, I get a syslog event as follows 1 in 0:08:31: Sep 22 17:00:15 fmy.machine.com... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Memory error causing reboot

Hi there I have a box that at 4pm started recieving soft errors on a DIMM, normally this is ok and we have time to swap it out. But I got the following error which caused the box to reboot NOTE: there were abount 6 or 7 normal "soft error encountered" messages before this one Nov 7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

3. Linux

how to cut column that is not equally spaced by delimeters

hi friends, when i run this command on my machine; df -k /export/home output of this command i gets as: /Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7 5043168 4520584 472153 91% /export/home i want to use column avail from above output: i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnray31
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and white spaced string problem

Consider a string with white space "abc 123" string="abc 123" echo $string abc 123 sed "s/$string/$string 456/" file abc 123 456 cat file abc 123 OK for now, but if you put this one in a shell script it gives the result: abc 456 123 somehow string end in first white space ?? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script problem - Variables Causing Issue

can someone please explain to me what i'm doing wrong with this code: WELT=$(awk '(($1 ~ "^${caag}$") || ($2 ~ "^${caag}$"))' /tmp/Compare.TEXT) when run from the command line, it works. but it seems to be having a problem doing the comparison when variables are involved. i tested from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Message in function causing failure.....

I have a long busybox ash script that has 3 stages. 1. Identify and Capture information on variable data sources, output the information to text file on each data source. 2. Using data from 1 above now actually do data processing on each individual dataset. 3. Produce report. So... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tesser
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with FTP Script which is causing "syntax error: unexpected end of file" Error

Hi All, Please hav a look at the below peice of script and let me know if there are any syntax errors. i found that the below peice of Script is causing issue. when i use SFTP its working fine, but there is a demand to use FTP only. please find below code and explain if anything is wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe causing last command error to not function

Hi I am quite new to scripting and cannot work out how to do the following - I want to pipe to a log file and then use the "last statement error" in an if statement after, and this doesn't work because it checks the pipe statement instead of the script. Example: executteTheScript $var |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erjorgito
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percentage sign causing awk problems

looks like awk gets confused when there's a % next to a number. command im running: awk -F" " '/phxnaz001b/ && /vol/ && NF { if (($NF >= 80) && ($NF < 83)) { print ; print ; w++ } else if ($NF >= 83) { print ; c++ } } END { printf("%d:OK %d:WARNING %d:CRITICAL\n", o, w, c) }' /tmp/test.log ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)