Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parallelize a task that have for Post 302582477 by vbe on Friday 16th of December 2011 05:22:46 AM
Old 12-16-2011
I know there is a conf file /etc/sysctl* in macosx 10.3 server but I am completely novice... and trying to find on my powerbook... You will have to use sysctl command

While I am at it I will explain my thoughts: Not being able to fork usually happen when you reach a system parameter limit, I think of two possibles: max number of process for whole system or max process/user, their names differ between OS, on HP-UX we have maxuprc and nproc, for mac you would have to search a bit...
If you wish, we could move this to more suitable forum (MacOSX...)

Last edited by vbe; 12-16-2011 at 06:37 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to parallelize work on thousands of files

I need to find a smarter way to process about 60,000 files in a single directory. Every night a script runs on each file generating a output on another directory; this used to take 5 hours, but as the data grows it is taking 7 hours. The files are of different sizes, but there are 16 cores... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhope07
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

task

Hi all, I'm newbie and stuck here. Thanks for any help. Input(txt file) a b X c d Y e f Z g h W Requested output: a b X Y c d Y X e f Z W g h W Z Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Task

Hi experts, I have a problem with the below shell task: I need to modify the file creatin a paired row , per each row which matches filter (e.g. number of nonempty columns = 5) Output should look like this: second row is original one from the input, first row(red) is pairing row, it's... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
29 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with an easy task

Hello everyone my name is Telis and i just registered in this forum.. i just started programming in linux shell and i need help with this easy task.. this is my code #!/bin/sh echo "What is your First name?" read name if ; then echo "Hello Master." else echo "Who are you?" fi when i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Telis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can Anyone help me..to do my task in simple way..

Hi... I am trying extract data using 2 files.. 1. Data file - DATA.TXT containing data to be extracted 2. Column file - LIST.TXT header column to be extracted output not coming properly.. if the header field name matches with data file header extract data...this actually I wanted ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

[HELP] Easy task

I have a simple task for my school work. I'm new with unix, so i need help. I need to write a scenario. Task is. From created txt file read first 3 words and create a 3 catalogs with those 3 words. 2 of those new catalogs should be transferred to other directory. If someone could help me just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justynykas
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallelize bash commands/jobs

Hello, I have a bunch of jobs (cp, cat or ln -s) on big files (10xGB in size): # commands_script.sh: cp file1 path1/newfile1 cp file2 path1/newfile2 cp file3 path1/newfile3 ...... cat file11 path2/file21 path1/newfile11 cat file12 path2/file22 path1/newfile12 cat file13 path2/file23... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies
SYSCTL.CONF(5)                                                     File Formats                                                     SYSCTL.CONF(5)

NAME
sysctl.conf - sysctl preload/configuration file DESCRIPTION
sysctl.conf is a simple file containing sysctl values to be read in and set by sysctl. The syntax is simply as follows: # comment ; comment token = value Note that blank lines are ignored, and whitespace before and after a token or value is ignored, although a value can contain whitespace within. Lines which begin with a # or ; are considered comments and ignored. EXAMPLE
# sysctl.conf sample # kernel.domainname = example.com ; this one has a space which will be written to the sysctl! kernel.modprobe = /sbin/mod probe FILES
/run/sysctl.d/*.conf /etc/sysctl.d/*.conf /usr/local/lib/sysctl.d/*.conf /usr/lib/sysctl.d/*.conf /lib/sysctl.d/*.conf /etc/sysctl.conf The paths where sysctl preload files usually exist. See also sysctl option --system. SEE ALSO
sysctl(8) AUTHOR
George Staikos <staikos@0wned.org> REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng January 2012 SYSCTL.CONF(5)