Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Troubles with reading SCSI reader media Post 302582353 by cfsb78 on Thursday 15th of December 2011 03:11:34 PM
Old 12-15-2011
Troubles with reading SCSI reader media

I am having some issues using SCSI device with Red Hat and was hoping that someone may have some ideas as to what the problem may be. Essentially, the device I am attempting to use is a media reader (called a MiroCID). This reader is externally connected via a SCSI cable that is plugged into a SCSI adapter card internally. The adapter plugs into a PCI slot on the motherboard (believe the hardware model is a SCSI Card 2940U). Upon booting up, the BIOS seems to recognize both the SCSI adapter card and the SCSI reader (connected through the adapter). When Linux boots, I get the message regarding the card/periphreal (via dmesg):

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:08:03:0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ169
scsi2: Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
<Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter>
aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

(scsi2:A:0:0): refuses synchronous neogtiation. Using asynchronous transfers.
Vendor: FAIRCHLD Model: MICROCID Rev: 201C
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

It seems to have automatically detected the necessary drivers and even lists the device correctly under SCSI devices in Hardware Settings. However, I was under the impression that whenever a card was connected (to be read) a new device would appear under the /dev directory as /dev/sdb, /dev/st0, /dev/scd, /dev/sg1 or something similiar. However, the only scsi device I can find is /dev/sda which I believe is the main hard drive for the machine. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can transfer data and preferably mount this device and use it similiar to a hard drive? If it helps, I am running Red Hat with kernel version 2.6.9-67.ELsmp

Doing:

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Shows:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: ST3250310NS Rev: SN06
Type: Direct-access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: FAIRCHLD Model: MICROCID Rev: 201C
Type: Direct-access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

cat /proc/scsi/scsi/aic7xxx/2

Shows:

Adaptec AIC7XXX driver version: 6.2.36
Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter
aic7860: Ultra Single channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs
Allocated SCBs: 4, SG List Length: 128

Serial EEPROM:
0x028d......

Target 0 Negoation Settings
User: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 127)
Target 1 Negoation Settings
Goal: 3.300MB/s transfers
Curr: 3.300MB/s transfers
Channel A Target 1 Lun 0 Settings
Commands Queued 4
Commands Active 0
Command Openings 1
Max Tagged Openings 0
Device Queue Frozen Count 0
Target 3 Negoation Settings
Target 4 Negoation Settings
Target 5 Negoation Settings
Target 6 Negoation Settings
Target 7 Negoation Settings

It appears to me that all the hardware is installed and being detected correctly (so the drivers are ok?). I am just confused how to mount/read the media connected to the reader.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unrecovereable Erroor in reading SCSI dev 0

Hello ! Will someone pls help look into my problem and try to find a solution to it. I use Openserver 5.0.4. One of my user came in the Morning to find out that he can't boot the system successfully. The error is Unrecoverable error reading SCSI dev 0 dev 1/42 (ha=0 id=0 lun=0). From me l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compariosn troubles...

Hi Guys, I am trying to compare using if, but keep getting some strange results. if ; then keeps creating the file 1 if ; then does not work at all if ; then does not work if ; then does not work if ; then does not work eihter. I am using a ksh, on Solaris (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
9 Replies

3. Programming

Troubles with HPUX

Hello I created an application in c language for HP-UX operative system,and it runs on a 32 bits PARISC processor. My problem is that I have to run this same application but now in a 64 bits Parisc processor. But I am not able to compile the application with the 64 bit server, and I only could use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masterboy6666
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Troubles

I'm very new to UNIX (I just started working with Terminal 2 days ago) and I don't know the system very well. I'm having trouble whenever I am asked for a password. I simply... can't type. I press keys on the keyboard but no characters appear on the screen. For example, when I log onto... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexmiller
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if-statement troubles

I try to compare the day and month of someones birthday with the day and month of today, so my little bash script can send a mail to the person that has its birthday that day. The first line of the file birthdays looks like this: firstname,lastname,01/01/1990,.... The variable birthday's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc.arne
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encoding troubles

Hello All I have a set of files, each one containing some lines that follows that regex: regex='disabled\,.*\,\".*\"'and here is what file says about each files: file <random file> <random file> ASCII text, with CRLF line terminatorsSo, as an example, here is what a file ("Daffy Duck - The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tukuyomi
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron troubles

I am aware this question has been answered time and again. I feel I have tried everything I have seen on the net and really need help to get this working. Same old story. Shell script, working from command but not from cron. I need my script to take values from a .properties file. Tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airalpha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and tr troubles

I am trying to make all the fields containing lower case letters upper case and the third field of a file display ** instead. I have this: awk '{printf "%s %s ** %d %d\n", $1, $2, $4, $5}' database.txt | tr '' '' < database.txt And that only changes it to upper case, other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
4 Replies

9. BSD

PF troubles on OpenBSD 5.0

I am setting up a system as an ADSL gateway. ADSL is working fine. PF is not forwarding for some reason. # ifconfig lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33196 priority: 0 groups: lo inet6... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Troubles with OpenSSH

Hi, I am trying to login from one AIX server to another without using a password, a basic configuration, however it doesn't seem to work. All things are in place. I have both a public and private key in the ~/.ssh folder and also have an "authorized_keys" file on the target-server containing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hille
5 Replies
removable-media(9P)					   Kernel Properties for Drivers				       removable-media(9P)

NAME
removable-media - removable media device property DESCRIPTION
A device that supports removable media--such as CDROM, JAZZ, and ZIP drives--and that supports power management and expects automatic mounting of the device via the volume manager should export the boolean (zero length) property removable-media. This property enables the system to make the power state of the device dependent on the power state of the frame buffer and monitor. See the power.conf(4) discussion of the device-dependency-property entry for more information. Devices that behave like removable devices (such as PC ATA cards, where the controller and media both are removed at the same time) should also export this property. EXAMPLES
Example 1: removable-media Entry An example of a removable-media entry from the .conf file of a driver is shown below. # This entry keeps removable media from being powered down unless # the console framebuffer and monitor are powered down # removable-media=1; Example 2: Implementation in attach() Below is an example of how the entry above would be implemented in the attach(9E) function of the driver. xxattach(dev_info_t *dip, ddi_attach_cmd_t cmd) { ... if (ddi_prop_create(DDI_DEV_T_NONE, dip, DDI_PROP_CANSLEEP, "removable-media", NULL, 0)) != DDI_PROP_SUCCESS) goto failed; ... } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
power.conf(4), pm(7D), attach(9E), detach(9E), ddi_prop_create(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 15 Jun 2001 removable-media(9P)