Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using same variable in 2 different scripts that run at the same time Post 302582336 by Corona688 on Thursday 15th of December 2011 02:29:16 PM
Old 12-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenSikamani
My doubt is that if I would run all these scripts parallely using a single cron, will they confuse with the value of this common variable or it doesnt matter at all?

Thanks
Each process is its own private, independent universe. The value of 'VARIABLE' in some other process' memory doesn't matter to them one bit. All they start with is whatever values cron happens to have the instant it starts them -- which is, intentionally, almost a clean slate. And once they're started nothing from the outside affects them.

Last edited by Corona688; 12-15-2011 at 03:35 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run three scripts one after another automatically???

Hi !! How do u run three scripts one after another automatically using crontab command at some specified regular interval. Say i have three scripts A,B,C and i want to run the three scripts A followed by B followed by C. REQUIRE HELP URGENTLY Thanks in advance Arunava . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunava_maity
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to set the environment variable at run time

hi, I have one environment variable like path in my system.But in my program i need to change that path .suppose it has a value "config" now i need to chage it as "config1" or something else.i need to use that variable for complete project.It means at first it will use the old path but after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sada@123
4 Replies

3. AIX

To run scripts

How to run a script from any directory? Should i include any environment or wat should i start with in writing a script ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rollthecoin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run scripts....

I am going to run the scripts (filetest.sh) Its run with..... ./filetest.sh sh filetest.sh but not run with..... filetest.sh ( giviing error command not found) tell me the way how we can do it ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ani83_pune
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking contents value of file at run time based on variable values

HI, I have to write a unix script and need your help. in my application where I have to invoke this script a varialble is there where the value comes in a variable . for example variable can be var=ABC like this there will be any type of value in the vcariable. there is a unix directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Variable Value from Multiple Scripts and Use these Variable

Hi to All, Please find below details. file_config.config export file1_status="SUCCESS" export file2_status="SUCCESS" file_one.sh I am calling another two shell script from these script. I need to pass individual two script status (If it's "FAILED") to file_main.sh. file_main.sh I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting multiple values in a variable at run time

Hi, Below is starting entry of my script #!/bin/ksh Usage() { print "Usage: $0 ID OPTION SERVER" print "<br>Where :" print "<br>Enter your ID into PARAM1, OPTION in the PARAM2 and SERVER in the PARAM3 field" print "<br>ID should be a valid ID" print "<br>OPTION should be either... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopajitmalakar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripts can be run manually but couldn't run with cronjobs

I am from MQ/MB technology. My requirement is to display the queue manger and broker status on daily basis. If I manually run the script, it works fine and displays output. But when I have scheduled the same using cronjobs it shows only the queue manger status and not the broker status. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha M
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a sequence of scripts?

Assume I want to run a sequence of scripts: script0001.sh script0002.sh script0003.sh ... script0122.sh script0123.sh I only know a little Linux scripting, so the following is the best I can write for k in $(seq 1 123) do ./script${k}.sh done Of course it doesn't work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzzhhh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run 2 python scripts at the same time side by side on the same line?

Could I run 2 python scripts at the same time side by side output on the same line in this same format but with scripts? from itertools import izip_longest with open("file1") as textfile1, open("file2") as textfile2: for x, y in izip_longest(textfile1, textfile2, fillvalue=""): x =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
4 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)