Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash logging al $() command lines Post 302581945 by DGPickett on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 12:38:58 PM
Old 12-14-2011
I suppose a FILE* could be double buffered and use aio to move the data! Maybe I will write a lib! Double buffering (i/o in one buffer area while you memory write/read another buffer area) got seriously neglected in UNIX except within TCP sockets.

I have never used the 'cmd <<< word', being pretty close to 'echo word | cmd' or 'cmd <<!
word
!', and in this '<<<$(...)' case, takes data from stdout a to stdin b, which is normally a pipe's simple job.

I suppose that if all non-ENV shell variables of a session were in an mmap'd file, all sub-shells could see and change all variables. Of course, it might get a bit tricky with the locking and moving as things expand, soon becoming another heap in need of GC. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH and command logging

Hi all... I've completed the task of deploying SSH over my 400 servers. I don't know if i'm right or wrong, but ssh doesn't do any command-logging, does it? Is there a app i can use to log all commands passed ( besides the usual .sh_history), whith no modification possible by the user, and how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is command for logging?

Hi, I am trying to recollect the command used to log a file. We use this command just before starting, say, installation. At the end you get a file capturing the series of commands you used during the course of time and sytems response. Could anybody please help. Thanks, Dasa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtamminx
3 Replies

3. Solaris

shell command logging

Does anyone have a simple method of logging all shell commands typed by a user (csh in our case)? - I could enable auditing, but this would be overkill - I could enable process accounting, but AFAIK, this does not log arguments Thanks all. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: minkie
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Full Command Logging?

I am looking for a really good command logging tool to improve the auditing of my servers. I have previously used snoopy but this is currently a bit flaky and causing serious problems for me, it doesn't look like it's been maintained since 2004, it didn't even want to compile until I added -fPIC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: humbletech99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading lines from a file, using bash, "at" command

Hi. I have the script shown below. If I execute it form the command line it seems to work properly, but when I fun it using the unix "at" command "at -m now < ./kill-at-job.sh" It appears to hang. Below is the script, the input file, and the execution as reported in the e-mail from the "at"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash telnet session logging

I'm looking at allowing remote telnet into my server. like any security-minded administrator, I want to log what my users type on the telnet session. I'm using the script command to generate transcripts of the users session. I have /etc/profile set to automatically start the script command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a bash script even after logging out from the current session

HI , I have a simple script that moves files from one folder to another folder, I have already done the open-ssh server settings and the script is working fine and is able to transfer the files from one folder to another but right now I myself execute this script by using my creditianls to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Logging

I searched the forums for command logging and the user "Driver" seemed to provide a script for logging shell commands with related info like date and time. The subject was "logging command invocations -cmdlog" . I would be interested in this script. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: starcraft
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH logging to file, limit lines

BASH Gurus: Anyone know how to append continuous output command appending to a file, but limit that file to no more than 20 lines? The program I have running is simply monitoring my UDP port 53 for incoming packets endlessly. I just need to keep this file from going over 20 lines. Once the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpius2k1
3 Replies
BIO_f_buffer(3) 						      OpenSSL							   BIO_f_buffer(3)

NAME
BIO_f_buffer - buffering BIO SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/bio.h> BIO_METHOD * BIO_f_buffer(void); #define BIO_get_buffer_num_lines(b) BIO_ctrl(b,BIO_C_GET_BUFF_NUM_LINES,0,NULL) #define BIO_set_read_buffer_size(b,size) BIO_int_ctrl(b,BIO_C_SET_BUFF_SIZE,size,0) #define BIO_set_write_buffer_size(b,size) BIO_int_ctrl(b,BIO_C_SET_BUFF_SIZE,size,1) #define BIO_set_buffer_size(b,size) BIO_ctrl(b,BIO_C_SET_BUFF_SIZE,size,NULL) #define BIO_set_buffer_read_data(b,buf,num) BIO_ctrl(b,BIO_C_SET_BUFF_READ_DATA,num,buf) DESCRIPTION
BIO_f_buffer() returns the buffering BIO method. Data written to a buffering BIO is buffered and periodically written to the next BIO in the chain. Data read from a buffering BIO comes from an internal buffer which is filled from the next BIO in the chain. Both BIO_gets() and BIO_puts() are supported. Calling BIO_reset() on a buffering BIO clears any buffered data. BIO_get_buffer_num_lines() returns the number of lines currently buffered. BIO_set_read_buffer_size(), BIO_set_write_buffer_size() and BIO_set_buffer_size() set the read, write or both read and write buffer sizes to size. The initial buffer size is DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE, currently 4096. Any attempt to reduce the buffer size below DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE is ignored. Any buffered data is cleared when the buffer is resized. BIO_set_buffer_read_data() clears the read buffer and fills it with num bytes of buf. If num is larger than the current buffer size the buffer is expanded. NOTES
Buffering BIOs implement BIO_gets() by using BIO_read() operations on the next BIO in the chain. By prepending a buffering BIO to a chain it is therefore possible to provide BIO_gets() functionality if the following BIOs do not support it (for example SSL BIOs). Data is only written to the next BIO in the chain when the write buffer fills or when BIO_flush() is called. It is therefore important to call BIO_flush() whenever any pending data should be written such as when removing a buffering BIO using BIO_pop(). BIO_flush() may need to be retried if the ultimate source/sink BIO is non blocking. RETURN VALUES
BIO_f_buffer() returns the buffering BIO method. BIO_get_buffer_num_lines() returns the number of lines buffered (may be 0). BIO_set_read_buffer_size(), BIO_set_write_buffer_size() and BIO_set_buffer_size() return 1 if the buffer was successfully resized or 0 for failure. BIO_set_buffer_read_data() returns 1 if the data was set correctly or 0 if there was an error. SEE ALSO
BIO(3), BIO_reset(3), BIO_flush(3), BIO_pop(3), BIO_ctrl(3), BIO_int_ctrl(3) 1.0.1e 2013-02-11 BIO_f_buffer(3)