Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming System + Network Programming, your advice required??? Post 302581923 by gabam on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 11:20:29 AM
Old 12-14-2011
Thanks for all these replies. I just want you to just point me to some direction so that I will be able to build such a system in the next couple of years. Here are a few topics that my mind is telling me which would be helpful to me building such system, what do you think about them?
1. UNIX system programming using c
2. UNIX network and socket programming using c
3. UNIX Shell scripting
Do you agree with me on this or not?

---------- Post updated at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:18 AM ----------

And you asked that how I got that guest account, I applied for it through their website and they emailed me the password for the guest account. That password will be valid for 24 hours only, and I have to apply again. I also have my own account on that system, but as you said, this account of mine is very limited. I am only allowed to do programming stuff, and I can't mess around with the security and system stuff.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C programming - Urgent help required

Hi, I am writing a small 'C' program to add very large floating point numbers. Now the program should be capable of adding the maximum floating point number that is possible on Sun Solaris machine. Can some let me know whether there is any extra logic that needs to applied for making sure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkumar1975
2 Replies

2. Linux

programming advice needed....

i'm a grad student taking a UNIX course and a networks course (i have a background in C++ and JAVA). i'm trying to combine the two classes. My questions stems from a networks programming homework assignment below: "Using the operating system and language of your choice, develop a program to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required on Shell Programming!

I have a file named "file1" with contents as shown below: name(abc) age(123) empid(a123) degree(graduate) . . . . Now suppose I know that the format of my file is as above but I don't know the contents within () ie. as if the file to me is like this name(???),... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice required shell script

Hi all, this is my first post, so please be gentle... I have a situation wherby I need a script that traverses known paths. Check for the modified date (n days) and then deletes all subdirs. I have come up with this hotch potch, but as far as I can tell it seems to work. What I am wondering... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primus7
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System + Network Programming, your advice required???

Dear friends, Before putting my questions forward, I would like to put some data infront of you, hope you will help me at the end. This website Cray-Cyber - Welcome provides free access to many supercomputers and mainframe computers. When you login through ssh, they provide you with a screen,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expertise advice required <<URGENT>>

:eek:i hav a shell script in my linux server, i want to execute it everyday once automatically without using cron tabs as i dont hav permission to create one. So wht sld i do??:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jay Thakkar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Advice for This Programming way

Hi All, I am working in production support environment And I have a lot of checks done daily on system And depended on values I take specific decision I am going to develop script to do general operation task But my problem is this script will be a running process 24 hours I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxosmanpad
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Permission problem, programming advice needed, Perl

Hi all, I have written a wrapper script in Perl which will be used on AIX, Linux and Windows and I do not want to change any code for the needs for a specific OS if avoidable. It works fine so far on all 3 OSes, not blowing up any stacks any more, but I am unsure how to handle writing log files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
7 Replies
posix_fadvise(2)						System Calls Manual						  posix_fadvise(2)

NAME
posix_fadvise(), posix_fadvise64() - file advisory information SYNOPSIS
Parameters fd The open file descriptor to which the fadvise operation applies. offset The begining of the specified range as a positive, byte offset. len The length of the specified range in bytes. advice Specifies advice to be applied to range. DESCRIPTION
The function is used to advise the system about the expected behavior of the application with respect to the data in the file associated with the open file descriptor, fd, starting at offset and continuing for len bytes. The specified range need not currently exist in the file. If len is zero, all data following offset is specified. It should be noted that the effect of all hints is cumulative for a given file object. All hints will be removed on processing the last close of the file object. The function may be used for large file access by a 32-bit application built with set to 64. The advice parameter is used to convey the hint to be applied to the data and may be one of the following values: Specifies that the application has no advice to give on its behavior with respect to the specified data. It is the default characteristic if no advice is given for an open file. Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range of data sequentially from the lower offsets to higher offsets. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified specified range of data in a random order. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified range of data in the near future. Specifies that the application will expect that it will not access the specified range of data in the near future. Specifies that the application will expect to access the specified range of data once and then not reuse it thereafter. These values will be defined in RETURN VALUE
Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the service fails, is set to one of the following values: The fd argument is not a valid file descriptor. The fd argument is associated with a pipe or FIFO. The posix_fadvise operation is not supported by the underlying file system. The value of advice or one of the other input values has been found to be invalid. A designated hint is not supported by the underlying file object. EXAMPLES
AUTHOR
was derived by HP from the IEEE POSIX 1003.1-2001 Standard. SEE ALSO
fadvise(2), fcntl(2), fadvise(5), fcntl(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
posix_fadvise(2)