Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting up down arrow key and edit on command line. Post 302581672 by ekb on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 09:06:50 PM
Old 12-13-2011
I am at os 6.1.0.0, TERM=vt100

This solutions works but I can not edit command line using unix commands.

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...d-history.html

If I do set -o vi then up down arrow does not work also I can not edit at command line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi down arrow key not working

i am using windows nt hummingbird 7.0 host explorer telnet emulation. I have two connections to two different unix machines. on one, the down arrow works fine in vi (it woks like the j option on the other it looks like it is giving me a new line above (like option O) and inserting a letter "B";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: artjaniger
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh: how to make [up arrow] recall command history

I want to get my up arrow key to recall my previous commands in Korn shell. Anyone help please? thanks a bunch! BG (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit each line in the file

I am trying to edit each line in a file. The file has several columns delimitted by '|'. I need to take out the last two columns. Each line starts with a unique word through which I am storing the lines in a variable and cutting the last two colums. But, when I am echoing the line, it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Esc key to complete command line typing

Dear Techs, In the past on a different box (HP) I use to be able to complete something I was typing by entering a portion of the filename in the pwd and I would hit the Esc key and it would match the rest of the filename. I did this without understanding how it was setup. Now I am on a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to make up arrow show last command in CSh?

Hi, I've been looking for a way to make the up arrow show the last command in csh, like how it does in bash/ksh. I've been googling and just can't find anything.....anybody have any ideas? thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
5 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

command scrolling using arrow keys

hi, can anyone tell me how to enable arrow keys to scroll thru the commands on command prompt. I am using C shell ( I know, in k shell, set -o vi would enable vi command history, but set -o doesnte exist in c shell) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangi13
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does BASH handle KEY BOARD "up arrow"??

hello sir, I am studying the BASH shell. I was wondering how the BASH is able to handle the "up arrow" key to give the commands that were previously typed by us. Can you please tell me the code to do such an operation. I want to handle more such keys and put KEY BOARD short cuts to the BASH shell. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsharath
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command to replace the entire line from the key point

Hi everyone I am new to Unix. I got stuck up by small issue. I have text file something like this abc 'xyz' '5' lmn 'pqr' '7' i want to replace the abc 'xyz' '5' to abc 'xyz' '6' but i have a key as 'xyz' based on this key i want to do that. I am not aware of how to use sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayaragavan
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

enable up arrow key to get last cmd..

Hello all, I wanted to know how can i enable the up arrow key to go to last cmd....on any UNIX system....looks like in some of my system(linux mostly) the up arrow key work to go to last cmd....but on hp-ux or sun...the up arrow key dose not work....is there some setting i can enable at terminal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit a line for getting inputs

Hello Everybody, I have a file with data like this 8z:1 15y:0 7x:0 12w:1 ... ... I would like read each line through a loop and will needing to get the input from each line like this For 8z:1; a=8,b=1 15y:0; a=15,b=0 7x:0; a=7,b=0 Please let me know of a way to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
5 Replies
kstat(1M)                                                 System Administration Commands                                                 kstat(1M)

NAME
kstat - display kernel statistics SYNOPSIS
kstat [-lpq] [-T u | d ] [-c class] [-m module] [-i instance] [-n name] [-s statistic] [interval [count]] kstat [-lpq] [-T u | d ] [-c class] [module:instance:name:statistic...] [interval [count]] DESCRIPTION
The kstat utility examines the available kernel statistics, or kstats, on the system and reports those statistics which match the criteria specified on the command line. Each matching statistic is printed with its module, instance, and name fields, as well as its actual value. Kernel statistics may be published by various kernel subsystems, such as drivers or loadable modules; each kstat has a module field that denotes its publisher. Since each module may have countable entities (such as multiple disks associated with the sd(7D) driver) for which it wishes to report statistics, the kstat also has an instance field to index the statistics for each entity; kstat instances are numbered starting from zero. Finally, the kstat is given a name unique within its module. Each kstat may be a special kstat type, an array of name-value pairs, or raw data. In the name-value case, each reported value is given a label, which we refer to as the statistic. Known raw and special kstats are given statistic labels for each of their values by kstat; thus, all published values can be referenced as module:instance:name:statistic. When invoked without any module operands or options, kstat will match all defined statistics on the system. Example invocations are pro- vided below. All times are displayed as fractional seconds since system boot. OPTIONS
The tests specified by the following options are logically ANDed, and all matching kstats will be selected. A regular expression containing shell metacharacters must be protected from the shell by enclosing it with the appropriate quotes. The argument for the -c, -i, -m, -n, and -s options may be specified as a shell glob pattern, or a Perl regular expression enclosed in '/' characters. -c class Displays only kstats that match the specified class. class is a kernel-defined string which classifies the "type" of the kstat. -i instance Displays only kstats that match the specified instance. -l Lists matching kstat names without displaying values. -m module Displays only kstats that match the specified module. -n name Displays only kstats that match the specified name. -p Displays output in parseable format. All example output in this document is given in this format. If this option is not specified, kstat produces output in a human-readable, table format. -q Displays no output, but return appropriate exit status for matches against given criteria. -s statistic Displays only kstats that match the specified statistic. -T d | u Displays a time stamp before each statistics block, either in ctime(3C) format ('d') or as an alphanumeric representation of the value returned by time(2) ('u'). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: module:instance:name:statistic Alternate method of specifying module, instance, name, and statistic as described above. Each of the mod- ule, instance, name, or statistic specifiers may be a shell glob pattern or a Perl regular expression enclosed by '/' characters. It is possible to use both specifier types within a single operand. Leaving a specifier empty is equivalent to using the '*' glob pattern for that specifier. interval The number of seconds between reports. count The number of reports to be printed. EXAMPLES
In the following examples, all the command lines in a block produce the same output, as shown immediately below. The exact statistics and values will of course vary from machine to machine. Example 1: Using the kstat Command example$ kstat -p -m unix -i 0 -n system_misc -s 'avenrun*' example$ kstat -p -s 'avenrun*' example$ kstat -p 'unix:0:system_misc:avenrun*' example$ kstat -p ':::avenrun*' example$ kstat -p ':::/^avenrun_d+min$/' unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 3 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 4 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 2 Example 2: Using the kstat Command example$ kstat -p -m cpu_stat -s 'intr*' example$ kstat -p cpu_stat:::/^intr/ cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intr 29682330 cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intrblk 87 cpu_stat:0:cpu_stat0:intrthread 15054222 cpu_stat:1:cpu_stat1:intr 426073 cpu_stat:1:cpu_stat1:intrblk 51 cpu_stat:1:cpu_stat1:intrthread 289668 cpu_stat:2:cpu_stat2:intr 134160 cpu_stat:2:cpu_stat2:intrblk 0 cpu_stat:2:cpu_stat2:intrthread 131 cpu_stat:3:cpu_stat3:intr 196566 cpu_stat:3:cpu_stat3:intrblk 30 cpu_stat:3:cpu_stat3:intrthread 59626 Example 3: Using the kstat Command example$ kstat -p :::state ':::avenrun*' example$ kstat -p :::state :::/^avenrun/ cpu_info:0:cpu_info0:state on-line cpu_info:1:cpu_info1:state on-line cpu_info:2:cpu_info2:state on-line cpu_info:3:cpu_info3:state on-line unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 4 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 10 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 3 Example 4: Using the kstat Command example$ kstat -p 'unix:0:system_misc:avenrun*' 1 3 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 15 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 11 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 21 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 15 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 11 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 21 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 15 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 11 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 21 Example 5: Using the kstat Command example$ kstat -p -T d 'unix:0:system_misc:avenrun*' 5 2 Thu Jul 22 19:39:50 1999 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 12 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 0 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 11 Thu Jul 22 19:39:55 1999 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 12 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 0 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 11 Example 6: Using the kstat Command example$ kstat -p -T u 'unix:0:system_misc:avenrun*' 932668656 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_15min 14 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_1min 5 unix:0:system_misc:avenrun_5min 18 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 One or more statistics were matched. 1 No statistics were matched. 2 Invalid command line options were specified. 3 A fatal error occurred. FILES
/dev/kstat kernel statistics driver ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), time(2), ctime(3C)gmatch(3GEN), kstat(3KSTAT), attributes(5), kstat(7D), sd(7D), kstat(9S) NOTES
If the pattern argument contains glob or Perl RE metacharacters which are also shell metacharacters, it will be necessary to enclose the pattern with appropriate shell quotes. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 kstat(1M)