Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to find text between a "string " and character "," Post 302581662 by haggismn on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 09:51:57 PM
Old 12-13-2011
Thanks Maya_style and verdepollo.

Verdepollo's awk command nearly works. I have altered it slightly. I was not specific enough in that there are also commas throughout the file where they are not needed. This works, but I don't think it is optimal. The log file may sometimes be quite large and it is to be run on an embedded device. Can cpu time be reduced by finding away around the grep command? Thanks again

Code:
awk '{gsub(/,/,"\n");gsub(/string1/,"string2");}; {for(i=1;i<=NF-1;i+=3) {print ($(i),($(i+1)))}}' log |grep -m 3 string2

---------- Post updated at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:49 PM ----------

It seems as though I am having problems. I need to implement this as soft coded configuration, echo'ed into a script. When I do this I lose the quotation marks around "\n" and "string2". This was the main reason I initially preferred a sed command, as it may possibly avoid problems like this. Can anyone give advice on getting round this problem with quotations? To give an example
Code:
awk '{gsub(/,/,"\n");gsub(/string1/,"string2");}; {for(i=1;i<=NF-1;i+=3) {print ($(i),($(i+1)))}}' log |grep -m 3 string2

becomes
Code:
awk '{gsub(/,/,\n);gsub(/string1/,string2);}; {for(i=1;i<=NF-1;i+=3) {print ( $ (i),( $ (i+1)))}}' log |grep -m 3 string2

and is therefore not working any more.

Can I get around this or do I need to look more towards sed?

Thanks a million

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
tr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     tr(1)

Name
       tr - translate characters

Syntax
       tr [-cds] [string1[string2]]

Description
       The  command copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters.  Input characters found
       in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2.  When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by  dupli-
       cating  its  last character.  Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect
       to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 0 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input  characters  in  string1;  -s  squeezes  all
       strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters.

In  either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order.  The backslash character () followed
       by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits.  A  followed by any other  character  stands
       for that character.

The  following  example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of
       alphabetics.  The second string is quoted to protect  from the Shell.  012 is the ASCII code for newline.
       tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2

Options
       -c   Translates complements:  string1 to those not in string1.

-d   Deletes all characters in string1 from output.

-s   Squeezes succession of a character in string1 to one in output.

Restrictions
       `', `0', and `00' are equivalent for NUL character.

`12' is treated as octal 12 and not a NUL followed by characters 1 and 2.

See Also
       ed(1), ascii(7), expand(1)

tr(1)