Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating directory with specific size? Post 302581595 by vbe on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 12:44:50 PM
Old 12-13-2011
well by creating a filesystem per directory (though absurd ins most cases...)...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

creating object files in a specific directory

hello, i have a makefile in which i am specifying the option for creating the object files of the source files. The option which i am using is this : gcc -c main.c first.c by default these object files are created in the same directory in which the makefile is present. what option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svh
1 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating large number of files of specific size

Hi I am new to shell scripting.I want to create a batch file which creates a desired number of files with a specific size say 1MB each to consume space.How can i go about it using for loop /any other loop condition using shell script? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swatideswal
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
GETDENTS(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       GETDENTS(2)

NAME
getdents - get directory entries SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <linux/types.h> #include <linux/dirent.h> #include <linux/unistd.h> _syscall3(int, getdents, uint, fd, struct dirent *, dirp, uint, count); int getdents(unsigned int fd, struct dirent *dirp, unsigned int count); DESCRIPTION
getdents reads several dirent structures from the directory pointed at by fd into the memory area pointed to by dirp. The parameter count is the size of the memory area. The dirent structure is declared as follows: struct dirent { long d_ino; /* inode number */ off_t d_off; /* offset to next dirent */ unsigned short d_reclen; /* length of this dirent */ char d_name [NAME_MAX+1]; /* file name (null-terminated) */ } d_ino is an inode number. d_off is the distance from the start of the directory to the start of the next dirent. d_reclen is the size of this entire dirent. d_name is a null-terminated file name. This call supersedes readdir(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, the number of bytes read is returned. On end of directory, 0 is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appro- priately. ERRORS
EBADF Invalid file descriptor fd. EFAULT Argument points outside the calling process's address space. EINVAL Result buffer is too small. ENOENT No such directory. ENOTDIR File descriptor does not refer to a directory. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID. SVr4 documents additional ENOLINK, EIO error conditions. SEE ALSO
readdir(2), readdir(3) Linux 1.3.6 1995-07-22 GETDENTS(2)