Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers print columns of a file in a for loop Post 302581427 by FelipeAd on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 06:56:47 AM
Old 12-13-2011
Sorry, I am not sure how to use your command in my case

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare selected columns from a file and print difference

I have learned file comparison from my previous post here. Then, it is comparing the whole line. Now, i have a new problem. I have two files with 3 columns separated with a "|". What i want to do is to compare the second and third column of file 1, and the second and third column of file 2. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print columns in a file by number list in another file

This should follow with my last post but I think it's better to start a new one. Now I have a list of numbers stored in pos.txt: 2 6 7 . . . n . . . And I need to extract (2n-1, 2n) columns from matrix.txt: ind1 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R ... ind2 B C D E F G H... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zoho
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to print some columns of a file

Hi, i have a file with content 00:01:20.613 'integer32' 459254 00:01:34.158 459556 00:01:36.626 'integer32' 459255 and i want to print only output as below 00:01:20.613 459254 00:01:34.158 459556 00:01:36.626 459255 i dont want the word 'integer32' which is the second column. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print entire columns into new file

Dear All, I am having trouble obtaining the 3 outfiles (as shown below) from a single input file. Could you please help?? INPUT: filename a b c 1 4 2 3 3 2 4 2 7 OUTPUT: outfile1 (a.dat) 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chen.xiao.po
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find a column from one file and print certain columns in second file

Hi, I need helping in finding some of the text in one file and some columns which have same column in file 1 EG cat file_1 aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee fffff gggg hhhh cat file_2 aaaa,abcd,effgh,ereref,name,age,sex,........... bbbb,efdfh,erere,afdafds,name,age,sex.............. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and print columns in second file

Hi All, I have to match each row in file 1 with 1st row in file 2 and print the corresponding column from file2. I am trying to use an awk script to do this. For example cat File1 X1 X3 X4 cat File2 ID X1 X2 X3 X4 A 1 6 2 1 B 2 7 3 3 C 3 8 4 1 D 4 9 1 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk print all columns in delimited file

text file example 1,222222222222,333,444444444444444 111111111,22,33333333,444 desired output 1 222222222222 333 444444444444444 111111111 22 33333333 444I have a delimeted file which I want to print in a table like format. The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find columns in a file based on header and print to new file

Hello, I have to fish out some specific columns from a file based on the header value. I have the list of columns I need in a different file. I thought I could read in the list of headers I need, # file with header names of required columns in required order headers_file=$2 # read contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count multiple columns and print original file

Hello, I have two tab files with headers File1: with 4 columns header1 header2 header3 header4 44 a bb 1 57 c ab 4 64 d d 5 File2: with 26 columns header1.. header5 header6 header7 ... header 22...header26 id1 44 a bb id2 57 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 columns from the same file and print a value depending on the result

Hello Unix gurus, I have a file with this format (example values): label1 1 0 label2 1 0 label3 0.4 0.6 label4 0.5 0.5 label5 0.1 0.9 label6 0.9 0.1 in which: column 1 is a row label column 2 and 3 are values I would like to do a simple operation on this table and get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
8 Replies
case(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   case(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
case - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
case string ?in? patList body ?patList body ...? case string ?in? {patList body ?patList body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Note: the case command is obsolete and is supported only for backward compatibility. At some point in the future it may be removed entirely. You should use the switch command instead. The case command matches string against each of the patList arguments in order. Each patList argument is a list of one or more patterns. If any of these patterns matches string then case evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. Each patList argument consists of a single pattern or list of patterns. Each pattern may con- tain any of the wild-cards described under string match. If a patList argument is default, the corresponding body will be evaluated if no patList matches string. If no patList argument matches string and no default is given, then the case command returns an empty string. Two syntaxes are provided for the patList and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line case commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unneces- sary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the patList arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or variable substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. SEE ALSO
switch(n) KEYWORDS
case, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 case(n)