Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help with Timezone locale. Post 302581301 by methyl on Monday 12th of December 2011 05:06:16 PM
Old 12-12-2011
What Operating System and version do you have?
This is so important.

What is the normal value of $TZ after logging in as a GMT user.
If you have a /etc/TIMEZONE file , does it it the same value?

Stupid question. What (and where?) is CST ? What is the offset from GMT. Does it have daylight saving time on the same dates as Europe or some other dates.

Update: Found it in /etc/tztab on HP-UX. Might be somewhere in USA:
Quote:
# Central Standard Time, Central Daylight Time
CST6CDT
0 3 24-30 4 1970-1973 0 CDT5
0 3 6 1 1974 0-6 CDT5
0 3 22-28 2 1975 0 CDT5
0 3 24-30 4 1976-1986 0 CDT5
0 3 1-7 4 1987-2038 0 CDT5
0 1 25-31 10 1970-1973 0 CST6
0 1 24-30 11 1974 0 CST6
0 1 25-31 10 1975-2038 0 CST6
Assuming that your O/S knows about this timezone, we would therefore need this line in the user's shell profile:
Code:
export TZ="CST6CDT"

Ps: I have read about changes to Daylight Saving Time in USA. Make sure that your O/S has an up-to-date timezone table. Many posters from USA will know a lot more about this than I do.

Last edited by methyl; 12-12-2011 at 06:25 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change locale ?

Hi, I have Solaris 7 installed. When I give the command 'locale' from the box, I am getting all the environment variables as 'de' ! I want it to be in English. How do I change the locale ?? TIA, Srinivas. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snsrini
1 Replies

2. Programming

Locale setting

Hi, In the sample program, I am trying to print a Japanese string. The code is as follows: main() { setlocale(LC_ALL,""); printf("String is %S\n", L"JAP"); // Note "JAP" is a valid japanese string } If locale is C, the string gets printed, but if it a valid japanese locale, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dippan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Locale

Hi Guys, Any ideas on how to install the zh_CN (Simplified Chinese) input locale for AIX5.2 ? Can't seem to find it any where. S. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using locale

:confused: Can anyone tell me how to test that locale is working properly in commands like awk, basename, bg, cd, cmp, col, command, csplit, cut, echo, egrep For ex. suppose I have changed locale using LC_ALL=german_germany.8859 export LC_ALL now i want to test(see) it's effect on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timezone

HI ; I got Solaris8 installed oon Sunfire V440 .I have TZ=GMT in /etc/TIMEZONE , but when i log in as root i see the date in GMT+1. So i have every time to "set TZ=GMT ; export $TZ" . How can i set the TZ=GMT at the startup defenitely. Thanks :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: oss
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Installation of locale..

Hi All, i am pretty new to sun solaris env.I need to install a french locale onto my machine.Could you please guide me through the steps. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sankasu
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Locale installation..

Hi All, I need to install a swedish locale on a solaris machine(ver. 10).I have the package downloaded.Can anyone please guide me through the steps and things i need to keep in mind when doing the same? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp without locale

Hi all, today i encounter one weird problem. I tried to do the sftp of one file from one server to another and try to load that file in some datawarehouse with a informatica(extraction,tranformation and loading tool) . But the tool is rejecting all later i found that there is some problem in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Locale woes

Greetings Forumers! I've been fighting a locale problem on a v490 running Solaris 10 u4 (8/07). When I login to the system, I get several "locale" error messages: user1's password: Last login: Wed May 26 2010 09:14:13 -0400 from system1 You have mail. couldn't set locale correctly couldn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Locale changes?

I am upgrading a machine to Solaris 10 and noticed a change that would cause a problem for us. We have always used en_US.ISO8859-1 and selected that when setting up the new system. This is the format on our old system $ date Fri Sep 21 10:35:51 PDT 2012 And this is what I got on our old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bryan.Eidson
1 Replies
Time.gmTime(3kaya)					       Kaya module reference						Time.gmTime(3kaya)

NAME
Time::gmTime - Convert a time to GMT. SYNOPSIS
Time gmTime( Int secs=now() ) ARGUMENTS
secs The number of seconds since Jan 1 1970. This argument is optional and defaults to the current time. DESCRIPTION
Converts a time expressed in seconds since Jan 1 1970 to a Time.Time(3kaya) , using the GMT timezone. AUTHORS
Kaya standard library by Edwin Brady, Chris Morris and others (kaya@kayalang.org). For further information see http://kayalang.org/ LICENSE
The Kaya standard library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License (version 2.1 or any later version) as published by the Free Software Foundation. RELATED
Time.Time(3kaya) Time.localTime(3kaya) Time.mkTime(3kaya) Time.time(3kaya) Kaya October 2012 Time.gmTime(3kaya)