Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CSV to SQL insert: Awk for strings with multiple lines in csv Post 302581237 by khayal on Monday 12th of December 2011 12:11:26 PM
Old 12-12-2011
CSV to SQL insert: Awk for strings with multiple lines in csv

Hi Fellows,

I have been struggling to fix an issue in csv records to compose sql statements and have been really losing sleep over it. Here is the problem:

I have csv files in the following pipe-delimited format:

Code:
Column1|Column2|Column3|Column4|NEWLINE
Address Type|some descriptive text|"Mailing
Physical
Shipping"|some text here|NEWLINE
Street Number/Name|some description for rec 2|None|some text here|NEWLINE
City|description for rec 3|None|some text here too|NEWLINE
Zip|description for rec 4|text here|sdfla sdflsdhlsdfsk|NEWLINE
Record 5|description|"Main - Main record
Administrative - Administrative phone number
HR - HR phone number
Services - Services line
Fax - Facsimile phone number
Other"|some text here|NEWLINE
Grades Offered|description here|"IT - Infant/toddler
PR - Preschool
PK - Prekindergarten
TK - Transitional Kindergarten
KG - Kindergarten
01 - First grade
02 - Second grade
UG - Ungraded
Other"|some text here|NEWLINE

The output format I am looking for is the following:
Code:
insert into MyTBl values ( Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4,NEWLINE);
insert into MyTBl values ( 'Address Type','some descriptive text','Mailing \nMailing \n Shipping' ,'some text here','NEWLINE');
insert into MyTBl values ( 'Street Number/Name','some description for rec 2','None','some text here','NEWLINE');
insert into MyTBl values ( 'City','description for rec 3','None','some text here too','NEWLINE');
insert into MyTBl values ( 'Zip','description for rec 4','text here','sdfla sdflsdhlsdfsk','NEWLINE');
insert into MyTBl values ( 'Record 5','description','Main - Main record \nAdministrative - Administrative phone number \nHR - HR phone number \nServices - Services line \nFax - Facsimile phone number \nOther','some text here','NEWLINE');
insert into MyTBl values ( 'Grades Offered','description here','IT - Infant/toddler \nPR - Preschool \nPK - Prekindergarten \nTK - Transitional Kindergarten \nKG - Kindergarten \n01 - First grade \n02 - Second grade \nUG - Ungraded \nOther','some text here','NEWLINE');

I am having difficulty preserving the spaces in the fourth column data which is often a multiple line text in double quotes (strings). I need to preserve these new lines in that column in my database table.

I wonder if someone can help in using awk or sed to do this. I use cygwin on windows platform.

thanks a lot!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment How to use code tags

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-13-2011 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to (n)awk lines of CSV with certain number of fields?

I have a CSV file with a variable number of fields per record. How do I print lines of a certain number of fields only? Several permutations of the following (including the use of escape characters) have failed to retrieve the line I'm after (1,2,3,4)... $ cat myfile 1,2,3,4 1,2,3 $ # Print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching lines across multiple csv files and merging a particular field

I have about 20 CSV's that all look like this: "","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""What I've been told I need to produce is the exact same thing, but with each file now containing the start_code from every other file where the email matches. It doesn't matter if any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert data into specific lines of a CSV

So I work in a 1 to 1 laptop deployment and sometimes we need to mass order parts. The vendor will send us a text file and we have to manually input serial numbers. Well I have a full blown web based inventory system which I can pull serial number reports from. I then have to input the part... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to give multiple csv files as input in awk

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting..My problem is i want to give multiple csv files as input to awk script and process the data into one file.. My input file is File1 File2 File3 Product Location Period SalesPrice A x 8/11/2010 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvth
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one csv file

Hi all, Please go through my requirement. I have a log file in the location /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/profiles/EMQbatchprofile/logs/EMQbatch This file contains the follwing pattern data <af type="tenured" id="42" timestamp="May 14 13:44:13 2011" intervalms="955.624"> <minimum... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl search csv fileA where two strings exist on another csv fileB

Hi I have two csv files, with the following formats: FileA.log: Application, This occured blah Application, That occured blah Application, Also this AnotherLog, Bob did this AnotherLog, Dave did that FileB.log: Uk, London, Application, datetime, LaterDateTime, Today it had'nt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: PerlNewbRP
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk read column csv and search in other csv

hi, someone to know how can i read a specific column of csv file and search the value in other csv columns if exist the value in the second csv copy entire row with all field in a new csv file. i suppose that its possible using awk but i m not expertise thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giankan
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple carriage returns within quotation marks causing new lines in csv

There is a closed thread called "carriage returns within quotation marks causing new lines in csv" that I am unable to post to, so I am starting a new thread. The awk solution worked perfectly in most cases. We have some cases where there are multiple carriage returns within a single quoted... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mary Roberts
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - CSV file - field with single or multiple spaces

Hi, In a csv file, I want to select records where first column has zero or multiple spaces. Eg: abc.csv ,123,a ,22,b ,11,c a,11,d So output should be: ,123,a ,22,b ,11,c Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
5 Replies