Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris "Device busy" When Reopening Serial Port Post 302581206 by Jim Ryan on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 10:09:28 AM
Old 12-13-2011
Thanks for the idea. I suppose the GC is a possibility to consider and it's easy with one simple line of code to ask the GC to collect the garbage (though it isn't deterministic whether it will comply with this request in a timely fashion.) But the references between my Java variables and the port objects, when severed, are severed immediately. The references between my app being immediately gone, "Device busy" should not occur. But I'll try your idea and see.

My next test will be similar to the simple test I mentioned above but will use two threads: one to open the port and one to close and reopen it, thus mocking up my actual app's logic. If this test shows it impossible for the second thread to do the reopen because of "Device busy," then it becomes clear that in Solaris, only the thread that opens the port can reopen it while that thread's containing app is running, other threads being disallowed.

---------- Post updated 12-13-11 at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous update was 12-12-11 at 10:50 AM ----------

I am able to generate a similar issue (PortInUseException) when running on Windows with certain unit tests. So, although the issue varies with OS, it is not isolated to Solaris. Moreover, I have been using Java Comm's library for serial ports. But now that I have switched to the RXTX library (which implements the same classes and method, so one only needs to change the namespace in one's code), then the problem goes away in Windows. I do not have an RXTX library for Solaris x86 yet, so I cannot report that result yet. Also, if I do not add an event listener to the serial port in my code (with SerialPort.addEventListener()), then I do not get the issue with either Java Comm or RXTX. Therefore, it seems that SerialPort.removeEventListener() does not work in JavaComm's implementation but does work in RXTX. This fellow found the issue, too: Day after day

I'll need to use a compilation of RXTX for my Solaris x86 machine now.

I do not see this as an OS issue per se, though it does vary in severity between Solaris and Windows. If I find that RXTX resolves the issue in Windows but not in Solaris then I will report that.
This User Gave Thanks to Jim Ryan For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

serial port device path

hi. Im trying to install a switch. And the manual says i should type a command including a SerialPortDevicePath. which is the filepath to serial port used for connection. However.. nothing about how to find this info. Could anyone help me where to find this path? thx mr.T (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyskertøs
6 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Mapping between "Pseudo name" and "Logical device ID" in powerpath with SVM changed....

Dear All, I was having powerpath 5.2 on SUN server with SVM connected to CLARIION box.Please find the following output : root # powermt display dev=all Pseudo name=emcpower3a CLARiiON ID=CK200073400372 Logical device ID=60060160685D1E004DD97FB647BFDC11 state=alive; policy=CLAROpt;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reboot
1 Replies

3. Linux

Umount of a "busy" disk

A product I am working on manages storage. We are currently porting it from Solaris to Linux. The product allows its user, among other things, to add and remove file server volumes, where these volumes are exported using the NFS or the CIFS protocol. The problem is that when the user requests to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhzdh
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX rm -rf error "rm: cannot remove `filename' : Device or resource busy"

Hi Everyone, I am trying to remove a directory: $ rm -rf directory_name/ rm: cannot remove `directory_name/filename': Device or resource busy What does this mean, and why can't I remove these files? I already tried moving into the directory, and removing the files individually, but I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna_Z
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Find out which eth or device belongs to interface "port 1 PCI 4"

Hi, I´ve given only this info to configure a network interface : "port 1 PCI 4" I´ve been searching for any kind of relationship in the system which allow me to find the etc that must be configured... Please, could anybody help me? rhxx:#/root# lspci |grep -i "PCI BRIDGE" 00:01.0 PCI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
0 Replies

7. SCO

NFS umount shows the "Device busy (Error 16)"

Hi there After making a backup copy of it sometimes happens that when I want to unmount an NFS indicates the error:umount: /path_mount busy: Device busy (Error 16) if I run lsoff, I can not find the process that is blocking the application. I'm using OpenServer 5.0.2c as one NFS server ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
14 Replies

8. Solaris

How to remove a LUN in "Online Busy" state?

Hi all, I have a LUN that is in "Online Busy" when I issue the dev_gestate subcommand of luxadm: root@es088wb6:~# luxadm -v -e dev_getstate /dev/rdsk/c21t50050763090887FEd4s2 phys path = "/devices/pci@6c0/pci@1/pci@0/pci@4/SUNW,qlc@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w50050763090887fe,4:c,raw" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ludiegu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
package-appclient(1M)					    Application Server Utility					     package-appclient(1M)

NAME
package-appclient - packs the application client container libraries and jar files SYNOPSIS
package-appclient Use the package-appclient command to pack the application client container libraries and jar files into an appclient.jar file. The created file is located at appserver_install_dir/lib/appclient/appclient.jar. The appclient.jar file provides an application client container package targeted at remote hosts that do not contain a server installation. The appclient.jar archive contains native code and can be used on a target machine that is of similar architecture as the machine where it was produced. So, for example, an appclient.jar produced on a Solaris SPARC platform cannot be used on a Windows client machine. After copying the appclient.jar file to a remote location, unjar it to get a set of libraries and jar files in the appclient directory After unjarring on the client machine, modify appclient_install_dir/config/asenv.conf (asenv.bat for Windows) as follows: o set AS_WEBSERVICES_LIB to appclient_install_dir/lib o set AS_NSS to appclient_install_dir/lib (appclient_install_dirin for Windows) o set AS_IMQ_LIB to appclient_install_dir/imq/lib o set AS_INSTALL to appclient_install_dir o set AS_JAVA to your JDK 1.4 home directory o set AS_ACC_CONFIG to appclient_install_dir/config/sun-acc.xml Modify appclient_install_dir/config/sun-acc.xml as follows: o Ensure the DOCTYPE file references appclient_install_dir/lib/dtds o Ensure that target-server address attribute refrences the server machine. o Ensure that target-server port attribute refrences the ORB port on the remote machine. o Ensure that log-service references a log file; if the user wants to put log messages to a log file. Modify appclient_install_dir/bin/appclient (appclient.bat for Windows) as follows: o change token %CONFIG_HOME% to appclient_install_dir/config ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ appclient(1M) Sun Java System Application Server March 2004 package-appclient(1M)