Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there a way to temporarily increase the priority of cron's batch queue? Post 302580890 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of December 2011 11:12:25 PM
Old 12-11-2011
You need the renice command. It lets you change the priority of one process (or more).

You have to be superuser (root) to use the command to increase priority

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron message queue problem

I have a problem with running jobs out of cron on Solaris 8. Initially when one of the users on the box (other than root) attempted to save the crontab after modification by using "crontab -e", the message "Crontab: cannot open the crontab file in the crontab directory" was given. I then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

temporarily stop cron services

hi can i know what is the command and in which directory to temporarily stop the cron service of my server? here is my server information thanks SunOS statsfs07 5.8 Generic_117000-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: legato
1 Replies

3. AIX

how to block a user temporarily?

hi to all i'm a newbie on aix. how would i block temporarily a few users in accessing our aix server so that other users may not be affected by th cpu usage...because if all of them accessing our server the CPU utilization goes high... thanks winky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winky
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

temporarily suspend crontab

Issues: Cron jobs are running everyday at 8PM to hot backup database, archivelog, and some other files. Sometimes crontab scheduled backups need to be suspended for some other tasks randomly but doesn't happen all the time. Objective: I need to create simple script or command ( example :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul.S
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Increase /tmp size temporarily

Hi all system Solaris 10 10/09 s10x_u8wos_08a X86 ufs file system I would like to install SunStudio. After the gui comes up it shows that i need to add swap space of at least 900m. the command swap-s shows 880m free. My question is can you temporarily increase swap by 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Increase processs priority and affinity in Solaris

I want to know how can in Solaris i can: >Set Process priority to maximum >Set Process Affinity. Linke in windows task manager we can set process priority to following levels: Low, Below Normal,Normal , Above Normal , High , Realtime And we can set process affinity to run on all processors.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_os
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

glance global priority queue question

Hello; I am collecting global priority queue data from the following script: /opt/perf/bin/glance -j2 -iterations 10 -adviser_only -syntax /home/dsljseo/glance.syntax cat glance.syntax print "global priority queue", gbl_pri_queue The typical output: global priority... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: delphys
1 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)