Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: apt-get problems on Wheezy
Operating Systems Linux Debian apt-get problems on Wheezy Post 302580887 by John Tate on Saturday 10th of December 2011 10:18:10 PM
Old 12-10-2011
apt-get problems on Wheezy

I am having some troubles with apt-get. I did an apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade. Some dependencies did not download, and so I had to do `apt-get -f install` to fix that. The thing is I get an error about /var/lib/dpkg/available

Code:
root@hayek:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  e2fsprogs
Suggested packages:
  gpart parted e2fsck-static
The following packages will be upgraded:
  e2fsprogs
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/955 kB of archives.
After this operation, 26.6 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Reading changelogs... Done
dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 43223 package 'libatk1.0-0':
 duplicate value for `Package' field
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

It seems that the apt-get update has corrupted the database of available packages. I might just be able to run apt-get update tommorow and find the problem gone. The thing is I cannot install any new packages while I wait.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

apt-get craziness.....

I had mysql client installed, then I upgraded my version of perl using apt-get install. Now, I want to get mysql-client working again and when I try to install it, I get: /usr/bin# apt-get install mysql-client Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies: mysql-client: Depends:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install

When I use apt-get install command, for example samba install, does that command then invokes search of entire disk to find samba packet or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt-get install error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

4. Debian

apt-get error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. step by step. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
3 Replies

5. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Yum and apt-get

I know both yum and apt-get could update the package , could advise which one is better in Redhat server ? thanks Login ID ust3 is currently in read-only mode for multiple infractions. Creating new identities to avoid restrictions is not allowed. This thread is closed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust03
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to test RAID10 array performance [Debian Wheezy]?

I have created a RAID10 array (near layout) with four 8 GiB virtual hard drives, making a 16 GiB array (/dev/md0 formatted as ext4). On the other hand, I have a 16 GiB RAID1 array (/dev/md1, also formatted as ext4). The purpose of these setups is to compare the read and write performances of each... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
13 Replies

8. Debian

Hardlink on wheezy by default for usb-stick?

May somebody can give me a hint. I am still using my old squeeze and it works the way I want. But my recent post about changing the owners rights, e.g. 777 or 755 anyway, it could be 644 as well. While configuring a new pc, just by chance I discovered how to enter the BIOS. And here it comes. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install --purge

Hello, i would like to know what is the use of that command apt-get install --purgeI understand the use of --purge while using with remove parameter, but i don't get it when it's about installing. Enlight me please ! Thx ---------- Post updated 09-03-16 at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Purgator
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Apt-get

Want to install APACHE but it's saying command is not found using centos (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
4 Replies
APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)

NAME
apt-show-versions - Lists available package versions with distribution DESCRIPTION
apt-show-versions parses the dpkg status file and the APT lists for the installed and available package versions and distribution and shows upgrade options within the specific distribution of the selected package. This is really useful if you have a mixed stable/testing environment and want to list all packages which are from testing and can be upgraded in testing. apt-show-versions uses caching for the status information of installed and available packages. If you run apt-show-versions as root the cache is updated as needed. If you run as non-root uses the newest available information, but can't update the cache. If you run as root with the option -i the cache is initialized or updated only. SYNOPSIS
apt-show-versions [-h] [[-p] package name] [-a] [-b] OPTIONS
If you don't give any options the status of all installed packages is printed. -p package, --package=package Print available and installed versions for specified package. You can also specify a package name without the option -p. If -p and a package name are missing, all installed packages are displayed. -r, --regex interpret package from option -p as a regex. -R, --regex-all like --regex, but also show matching packages which are not installed -u, --upgradeable Print only upgradeable packages -a, --allversions Print all available versions of the selected packages -b, --brief Print only package_name/distribution for upgradeable packages -v, --verbose Prints out messages about which Package files are parsed. -i, --initialize Initialize or update package cache only (as root). Do this every time when the status of the installed or available packages has changed. Initialization is done automatically on installation of the package and via a cron.daily job. -stf file, --status-file=file Use file as the dpkg status file instead of /var/lib/dpkg/status -ld directory, --list-dir=directory Use directory as path to apt's list files instead of /var/state/apt/lists/ or /var/lib/apt/lists/ -h, --help Prints out command-line help. EXIT CODES
0 No error 1 Wrong usage 2 apt-show-versions has been called with exactly one package and upgradeable option set, but package is uptodate. As no output has been requested, this case gets signaled using the exit code. 255 Unspecified error EXAMPLES
If you want to know for all your installed packages whether they are uptodate or upgradeable, use: apt-show-versions If you want to have a list of all upgradeable packages: apt-show-versions -u To get a list of all available versions of libc6: apt-show-versions -a -p libc6 To get information about several packages: apt-show-versions dpkg apt apt-show-versions -r ^texlive To upgrade all packages in testing: apt-get install `apt-show-versions -u -b | fgrep testing` AUTHOR
Christoph Martin, martin@uni-mainz.de SEE ALSO
apt(8), dpkg(1) perl v5.14.2 2012-10-26 APT-SHOW-VERSIONS(1p)