Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bare bones Debian install
Operating Systems Linux Debian bare bones Debian install Post 302580885 by John Tate on Saturday 10th of December 2011 09:47:19 PM
Old 12-10-2011
Debian's "bare bones" install is pretty small, if you want something absolutely specific to your hardware you can build your own kernel, pruning through every module to get only those you need. The thing is it just doesn't matter.

* Programs you are not using are just wasting hard drive space. There is plenty around these days.
* Drivers the systems doesn't need are not loaded

I suggest though if you want to slim your kernel, do 'lsmod' and save the results of that command. You need to keep all of those modules.
This User Gave Thanks to John Tate For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

How to install Debian on a SUNBLADE 100?

I have tried to install the Debian distribution for SPARC processor, but is a pian in the neck trying to boot from cdrom or floppy. Please can somebody to help me to know the easiest way to boot and install Debian on a SUNBLADE 100 system? or wich is the best way to installed on this system, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GEIER
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install App in Debian Etch 4.0

I am trying to install a couple applications that I downloaded on my Debian Etch 4.0 OS but I don't know how. 1) I tried using sudo apt-get install...but it always tells me I'm not in the sudoers file 2) I tried using root terminal, but I cant seem to navigate anywhere and I don't know where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: icecom10
3 Replies

3. Linux

install pptpd on debian 5

When I try to configure vpn(client,server), i not find pptpd.conf in debian lenny 5.0. After in command-line: if translate: Don't find package pptpd How can added pptpd? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sotich82
0 Replies

4. Debian

How to install Java in Debian Lenny

Hi all im trying to install Java in Debian lenny with apt-get install but can find the packages...anyone can help me on this one? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ro0t3d
2 Replies

5. Debian

Debian on ia64 install - freeze

Hi I try to install debian 6.0.1 on hp rx2600. I boot from the CD i get first boot menu ( i can choose Install/Install(expert)/Rescue modes) after i choose one of above i see messages like : (..) Uncompressing linux..done. (...) Loading file /initrd.gz.. done (...) Linux Version... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chesti
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Cacti on Debian for dummies

Hi all, I want to install cacti (frontend to RRDTool) on my Debian 6 VPS. My dummy questions please... The requirements include RRDTool and net-snmp so is there a way to check these are properly installed? Re the command # apt-get install cacti After logging in to my VPS in putty... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Juc1
1 Replies

7. Debian

Debian install - kernel panic

Hello all, I would like to install Debian Jessie on my i386 When I boot from the installiso I see the menu and pick 'install'. The bios beeps once immediately and I get the following output: I 've tried 3 cd's already...(md5 sum=ok) this computer always ran... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: drum159
13 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)