Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Urgent request "remove all packages with dpkg" Post 302580799 by Corona688 on Friday 9th of December 2011 04:07:48 PM
Old 12-09-2011
That it's not actually a computer is good to know...

For starters, would uninstalling all packages remove your ability to use the terminal?

If the offending package is no longer installed, how will removing packages that have nothing to do with it fix it?

What if removing all packages doesn't work?

Why not take a closer look at the contents of the package in question, to see exactly what files it touched?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to request a "read" or "delivered" receipt for mails

Dears, I've written a script which allows me to send mails in different formats with different attaches. Now I still want to add a feature to this script. My users would like to be able to receive a "read" or "delivered" receipt for their mails. The script send mails on behalve of an specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plelie2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HELP! what does this mean: "svc: bad direction 256, dropping request"

For a few weeks now, on several of our machines, i've been seeing this in /var/log/messages and dmesg: Nov 14 16:37:48 stg2 kernel: svc: bad direction 256, dropping request Nov 14 16:37:48 stg2 kernel: svc: short len 4, dropping request Nov 14 16:38:02 stg2 kernel: svc: bad direction 256,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to provide "answers" to SSL Cert Request

Hello, I need assistance with creating a shell script to generate SSL Certificate Requests on remote hosts. Below is my stab at this, but I cannot figure out how to pass the requested arguments into the openssl command correctly. I have a major problem with redirecting the "answers" into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azvelocat
2 Replies

5. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass a "Y" to dpkg-reconfigure?

Greetings! Putting on my "dummy" hat here; as I'm sure this one is absolutely drop-dead simple ;) OK. Here's the commandline which I've been able to cobble together so far:dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=readline --terse -plow unattended-upgradesNow, being totally out of my element here, I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
DH_GENCONTROL(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_GENCONTROL(1)

NAME
dh_gencontrol - generate and install control file SYNOPSIS
dh_gencontrol [debhelperoptions] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_gencontrol is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating control files, and installing them into the DEBIAN directory with the proper permissions. This program is merely a wrapper around dpkg-gencontrol(1), which calls it once for each package being acted on (plus related dbgsym packages), and passes in some additional useful flags. Note that if you use dh_gencontrol, you must also use dh_builddeb(1) to build the packages. Otherwise, your build may fail to build as dh_gencontrol (via dpkg-gencontrol(1)) declares which packages are built. As debhelper automatically generates dbgsym packages, it some times adds additional packages, which will be built by dh_builddeb(1). OPTIONS
-- params Pass params to dpkg-gencontrol(1). -uparams, --dpkg-gencontrol-params=params This is another way to pass params to dpkg-gencontrol(1). It is deprecated; use -- instead. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_GENCONTROL(1)